Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750391 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2925 on: January 02, 2014, 12:34:50 pm »

Still seems less extreme than the response to the Boston Bombing.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: January 02, 2014, 08:36:45 pm »

Locking random people up vs keeping all people inside their houses for a short amount of time? Doesn't look like that to me...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2927 on: January 02, 2014, 11:02:14 pm »

Locking random people up vs keeping all people inside their houses for a short amount of time? Doesn't look like that to me...
It's arresting large amounts of people vs martial law and lockdown of an entire city, searching room to room with paramilitary units; in both cases to look for murderers.
The former is a specific, possibly excessive response. 700 is a bloody broad number of people, and I really doubt that any of them would have had anything to do with the suicide bombers. The latter is a definite, excessive response on a city-wide scale, and I highly doubt that any of the people in the city had anything to do with the suicide bombers.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: January 03, 2014, 03:07:43 am »

My guess is they just locked down everyone that they knew had links with hardcore Islamists.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: January 03, 2014, 03:21:30 am »

Well plenty of room in their prisons after the round of pre-Olympic closest clearing.
I wonder how many people this is going to provoke to become extremists...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: January 03, 2014, 03:51:53 am »

Unless we start having tales of torture coming back or if they actually send the 700 hundreds to Siberia, I doubt anyone will really care. Arresting everybody you can think of for interrogation seems like a good start if you don't have any better leads.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: January 03, 2014, 03:55:55 am »

Sometimes, you Euroforumites really disturb me with the lack of appreciation for protection against arbitrary detainment.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: January 03, 2014, 04:04:22 am »

Silly Americans with your irrational love of liberty!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: January 03, 2014, 04:39:40 am »

Difference in sensibilities I guess. I was way more shocked by the shutdown of Boston and the invasion of the city by police in Hummer with machinegun (why do the police even have machinegun?)

By comparison, arresting people for a short time seems normal. I've been to protests were everyone (Around 400 people) ended up arrested. (My slip read that I was arrested for being suspected of having the intention of committing a misdemeanor. No kidding) Spending the night in a police station is the price to pay for anything more than a peaceful, organized, authorized march.

In this context, I don't see anything wrong with the Russian state locking up everyone they know has a connection with Islamist extremists (including family of known extremists I guess) to interrogate them. As long as the interrogating is not "enhanced" and those arrested against whom no charge can be pressed are swiftly released of course.

Can't police in the US detain you for interrogation?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: January 03, 2014, 05:01:40 am »

Can't police in the US detain you for interrogation?
They can and do, but detainment in US law is a large step below arrest. For example, my old roommate's weed shenanigans got both he and I legally detained, but in this context detainment is "you can't just walk away from the police". This can be invoked under either reasonable suspicion or probable cause. The next step up from that is arrest, and for that they either need a warrant or probable cause. If you are arrested, you can be kept in jail until a magistrate is available to formally charge you and set bail. At that point, the police can either have you charged or released. Keeping you without seeing a magistrate after that point can result in very bad things for them later on. Interrogation comes in two formats: formal and informal. Informal is a constant, police can and will try to milk you for information with everything they say and do. This is why I advocate never speaking to police more than providing your identity and invoking your right to remain silent. Formal interrogation requires you to have been read your Miranda rights and usually only occurs after arrest. The big difference between the two is that information gained in a formal interrogation can only be used against you in court, while informal interrogation can technically be used either way.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:04:34 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: January 03, 2014, 05:07:55 am »

Yeah, I don't think there is anything wrong with the power of police to detain anybody who is suspected of commiting a criminal offence. In my country, if you are suspected you can be detained up to 24 hrs (if you were accused then 48 hrs) and then you must be released or given to court which has (48/72 hrs) to decide about your confinement. If you were wrongly detained you can demand compesation from the government.

I think the system is pretty good here, we don't really have any problems with innocent people ending up in prisons, more of the other sort of problem - there are very famous cases of criminals being released and running to foreign countries, because the courts couldn't decide on confinement (or extension of it) in appropriate time.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: January 03, 2014, 05:21:26 am »

By comparison, arresting people for a short time seems normal. I've been to protests were everyone (Around 400 people) ended up arrested. (My slip read that I was arrested for being suspected of having the intention of committing a misdemeanor. No kidding) Spending the night in a police station is the price to pay for anything more than a peaceful, organized, authorized march.

That's how our Belarusian police usually deals with unauthorized and authorized non-peaceful opposition protests.
According to EU and American media, that's incredibly undemocratic.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: January 03, 2014, 05:25:51 am »

I'm not sure what most Australians would think any more. I used to think we were a civilized bunch, but since joining a left wing hippie party and being enlisted to proselytize what I was informed what a moderate suburb, I have come to believe we are a lot more racist, sexist, homophobic, greedy and in general hateful than I first thought. While I was personally horrified at the way the entire martial law thing played out, I'm thinking many of my countrymen would not see the precedent set and instead be wondering why don't our police have machine guns... In the same way I'm sure many would be happy with the idea of these Russians being locked away for good without due process.

We seem to care a lot more about enforcement than due process, after all our own government is in breech of constitutional law and nobody gives a damn.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: January 03, 2014, 05:29:54 am »

That's how our Belarusian police usually deals with unauthorized and authorized non-peaceful opposition protests.
I'm pretty sure this it the way the US and EU deal with protests too, with an added order of tear gas, and riot police, if needed.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: January 03, 2014, 05:35:09 am »

I'm pretty sure this it the way the US and EU deal with protests too, with an added order of tear gas, and riot police, if needed.
Except when something similar happens in Belarus, the whole progressive mankind starts condemning the horrible violation of freedom of speech in Belarus.
Quod licet Jovi, non licet bovi...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:37:17 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 1393