Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750486 times)

Yannanth

Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2910 on: January 01, 2014, 12:01:35 pm »

I was with you up to the 4th paragraph Descan. Change is not inherently good. It's not inherently bad either. It's one of those stupid buzzwords politicians (on both sides of the spectrum, and ones outside of it like communists, fascists and anarchists) use to rope you into agreeing with them.

You are right on one thing though. Politics should not be driven by an overarching ideology, because that is non-pragmatic extremism. I will never vote for a communist, fascist, or any politician that subscribes to a certain ideology that has been defined by a set of points, like Krugman's definition of the virtues of liberalism (in the American sense) which probably best describes American 'progressives' (another buzzword that only exists because the status quo doesn't fit the 'progressive' agenda).

Libertarianism, like all ideologically-driven movements has an extremely high degree of internal consistency. Conservatives and Liberals actually don't. They are pragmatic and generally take things on a case-by-case basis. These are the politicians you should vote for, because cognitive dissonance does no affect them. Not being members of a political party or unofficial alliance is even better, as it reduces the level at which this occurs (it still depends on the politicians 's convictions, of course).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2911 on: January 01, 2014, 12:22:04 pm »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: January 01, 2014, 12:29:45 pm »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: January 01, 2014, 12:30:27 pm »

But what if the consistency itself were to have value? If every rule has a few dozen exceptions, and there are many thousands of rules, how is anyone expected to actually understand them? Further, exceptions sets the precedence that you can make even more exceptions (just one more couldn't hurt...). And there is no guarantee that the next exception will be a "good" one.

edit: This isn't to say that those people actually understood the things they were saying. My experience tells me that they probably don't. I'm just trying to express how I rationalize it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 02:02:07 pm by Lagslayer »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: January 01, 2014, 03:46:15 pm »

Putin promising annihilation.

How is this different from Bush or Obama promising to track down terrorist that struck the US?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: January 01, 2014, 04:53:37 pm »

How is this different from Bush or Obama promising to track down terrorist that struck the US?
Neither of them were exactly psychotic like Putin proves himself to be. This might just be talk, but I could see him waging a genocidal conflict over things like this.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: January 01, 2014, 06:05:02 pm »

I was with you up to the 4th paragraph Descan. Change is not inherently good. It's not inherently bad either. It's one of those stupid buzzwords politicians (on both sides of the spectrum, and ones outside of it like communists, fascists and anarchists) use to rope you into agreeing with them.
I didn't say it was inherently good, just that it's not inherently bad. :V
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: January 01, 2014, 06:34:16 pm »

Neither of them were exactly psychotic like Putin proves himself to be. This might just be talk, but I could see him waging a genocidal conflict over things like this.

I guess it's more a cultural than political question, but I've always wondered: why it is so common in America to portray its political enemies either as incompetent buffoons or insane maniacs?
For comparison, the enemies of Soviet Union and Russia have been always portrayed in Soviet and Russian media as calm, very intelligent and extremely ruthless people.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 06:41:11 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: January 01, 2014, 06:42:55 pm »

I've always wondered: why it is so common in America to portray its political enemies either as incompetent buffoons or insane maniacs?
Probably because a lot of world leaders fall into one or both of those two categories.
For comparison, the enemies of Soviet Union and Russia have been always portrayed in Soviet and Russian media as calm, very intelligent and extremely ruthless people.
I would say that is an accurate characterization of Putin as well, but that doesn't mean he isn't psychotic. He even worked for the KGB. I would automatically question the mental health of anybody who was one of them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: January 01, 2014, 06:47:58 pm »

I guess it's more a cultural than political question, but I've always wondered: why it is so common in America to portray its political enemies either as incompetent buffoons or insane maniacs?

I have no idea what you're talking abou-

Putin confirmed leader of Almighty God's Asian Army destined to confront German-led European Union to punish them for the Holocaust

*cough*
GOD BLESS AMERICA

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: January 01, 2014, 07:20:29 pm »

I would say that is an accurate characterization of Putin as well, but that doesn't mean he isn't psychotic. He even worked for the KGB. I would automatically question the mental health of anybody who was one of them.

I really don't think that psychos would be allowed in any counter-intelligence or state security agency anywhere in the world these days (KGB fulfilled both of these duties in the USSR). The job of a secret service operative is not the one that madmen or psychopaths can effectively fulfil.
One may point at people like Lavrentiy Beria, but it's likely that many reports about their psychosis come from either reports written by their Soviet political rivals or from Western anti-Soviet propaganda. It's not clear if these sources are true or not, and we can definitely and fruitlessly argue about it for eternity.

Putin confirmed leader of Almighty God's Asian Army destined to confront German-led European Union to punish them for the Holocaust

lolwut?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: January 01, 2014, 08:28:41 pm »

Well it depends on how you define "psychopath". Many extremely successful people could very well be psychopaths, particularly in business and politics. Here's some psychopathic traits from the "Psychopathic Personality Inventory" (PPI):
  • Fearlessness
  • Stress immunity
  • Machiavellian egocentricity
  • Rebellious nonconformity
  • Blame externalisation
  • Carefree nonplanfulness
  • Coldheartedness
You could say that Putin would fit a number of those points. Some of them I couldn't be sure of because I obviously don't know him personally (e.g. "rebellious nonconformity" is a bit dubious, and he certainly plans) but I'd say most of those fit. They fit with most successful politicians, soldiers. Why not secret policemen?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 08:33:42 pm by Owlbread »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: January 01, 2014, 09:10:24 pm »

Lacking empathy seems a requirement to be in these sorts of things, not a disqualifying factor.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: January 02, 2014, 02:30:31 am »

The wording wasn't "psychopath" but "psychotic", though. There's quite the difference.
Love, scriver~

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 1393