Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750622 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2850 on: December 29, 2013, 05:25:12 pm »

It is very true and very feasible.
Well that is pretty awesome.
Down here in Australia we have areas of unpopulated land larger than Scotland that receive strong, direct sunlight 99% of the time, fields that receive regular winds pretty much always both onshore and off, and the sixth largest coastline in the world, all of it exposed to strong tidal pulls... We have a 5% 2020 reductions goal, and no contingency plan if our current plan fails, and it will.

God bless you Scotland.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: December 29, 2013, 05:59:39 pm »

Owlbread, I think you're vastly overestimating tidal and wave power. Sure, you got more than almost anyone else, but still not that much. Especially since some of the best tide plants spots in Britain are actually in England and Wales (stuff like the Severn Estuary).

I really recommand you read Sustainable Energy — without the hot air (The book is offered free as a PDF). It's basically a back-of-the-envellope calculation of the various forms of energy consumptions and potential productions in the UK (But you'll find it easy enough to adapt the numbers to Scotland if you want to).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: December 29, 2013, 06:37:57 pm »

I'm going to read that on my phone over the next while or so. Thank you.

Of course though, when I say it will be a cold day in hell that we must rely on imported electricity I am referring to everything in combination; including the oil and coal supplies. Even if our renewables fell through we're still a very resource rich country.

Well that is pretty awesome.
Down here in Australia we have areas of unpopulated land larger than Scotland that receive strong, direct sunlight 99% of the time, fields that receive regular winds pretty much always both onshore and off, and the sixth largest coastline in the world, all of it exposed to strong tidal pulls... We have a 5% 2020 reductions goal, and no contingency plan if our current plan fails, and it will.

God bless you Scotland.

Australia is in the wonderful position of being almost an entire resource-rich continent, with only a relatively small population (compared to, say, the UK) so the possibilities for change are quite remarkable. There's really no excuse for the target being so low. You're also pioneering research in how to obtain enough useable water in an arid climate, something that so much of the world needs right now. You could be so, so green, yet you're held back. It's a terrible shame.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: December 29, 2013, 07:22:34 pm »

Australia is in the wonderful position of being almost an entire resource-rich continent, with only a relatively small population (compared to, say, the UK) so the possibilities for change are quite remarkable. There's really no excuse for the target being so low. You're also pioneering research in how to obtain enough useable water in an arid climate, something that so much of the world needs right now. You could be so, so green, yet you're held back. It's a terrible shame.
It is worse than you think. That 5% reduction goal? That isn't even for current levels, it is for 2020 projected levels. Even if we reach our 5% target, and we won't, it will still be a net increase in emissions.
And that isn't even the worst of it, most of out emissions are hidden as exports that we don't take responsibility for. We are about to open up a mine in the Galilee basin that will produce enough coal that, when burnt, will produce more CO2 than all of Germany, and none of that is considered because it is burnt overseas.

The climate would be a lot better off if Australia had never been discovered, with only a marginal increase in the British prison population.  :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2854 on: December 29, 2013, 08:41:27 pm »

No, it'd be even worse. It'd also be French.
And all these attempts to be environmentally friendly are largely moot so long as China and Murrica lead the world in glorious exploitation of the environment.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: December 29, 2013, 09:20:08 pm »

Werewolves can be facists too, you know. Stop pigeonholing them. :P

Actually..
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: December 29, 2013, 10:37:32 pm »

On that note, I hear France is going for a 75% rich bastards tax... Dirty commies!  :P

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: December 30, 2013, 02:59:41 am »

On that note, I hear France is going for a 75% rich bastards tax... Dirty commies!  :P
66%. 75% is apparently unconstitutional.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: December 30, 2013, 03:08:42 am »

Really? 2/3 is totally ok but 3/4 goes against their national foundations?
I wonder how their chefs manage...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: December 30, 2013, 03:13:14 am »

By European standards, 2/3 really isn't that much.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: December 30, 2013, 03:21:13 am »

Highest tax bracket we have is 45% for people earning $180,000 AUS and over, plus an additional 2.5% medicare levi that can be reduced to 1.5% by having private health care... As you can imagine, the rich complain they pay too much tax and if we raise it any more they will all more away to Europe.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: December 30, 2013, 03:23:22 am »

Well, IIRC, the average taxation over here is 45%.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 03:30:19 am by 10ebbor10 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: December 30, 2013, 04:17:21 am »

Bit more I think. Or maybe you don't include payroll tax on this? Plus that part of the payroll tax that is paid by your employer...

As far as France goes, I think the Constitutional Court decide it was punitivie to levy such an high tax on people, so now they want to tax it through employers, but it is rapidly becoming a joke, with exemption for pretty much everyone (football players for example).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: December 30, 2013, 04:29:42 am »

Meanwhile, Russia is hit by a string of terrorist attacks: yesterday, a suicide bombing hit Volgograd's main railroad terminal, killing 17, this morning, a suicide bomber blew up a trolleybus full of people during rush hour in Volgograd, killing 14.

It is a popular opinion among many non-liberal Russians dating back to the 1990s (which haven't been acknowledged by the Russian government in any way) that the radical Wahhabi Islamists from the government of Saudi Arabia are organizing and sponsoring attacks committed by Chechen terrorists. There's a lot of comments on various Russian news sites calling for the Russian leadership to "wipe those Saudi bastards off the face of the Earth with nuclear weapons"*. However, as the Russian saying goes, God didn't give horns to a mad cow: the Russian government isn't particularly keen on starting World War III, no matter what trigger-happy Russian patriots think.

*when Britain starts acting against Russia, the same people call for nuclear attack on Britain, when the USA starts doing the same... you get the idea.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: December 30, 2013, 04:33:05 am »

Bit more I think. Or maybe you don't include payroll tax on this? Plus that part of the payroll tax that is paid by your employer...

As far as France goes, I think the Constitutional Court decide it was punitivie to levy such an high tax on people, so now they want to tax it through employers, but it is rapidly becoming a joke, with exemption for pretty much everyone (football players for example).
Average European taxation grade, that is.  France and many other countries in Europe go significantly higher.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 1393