Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751213 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2640 on: December 18, 2013, 01:59:58 pm »

On the Scottish issue. A problem is that while there might be a clear historical division, and a political division, there's no geological division. There's a way around that. By using the Trident for NPE's , we can quickly engineer a geological division and swat 2 flies at once.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2641 on: December 18, 2013, 02:01:58 pm »

I think, aside from some human rights and anti-secularism, the only reason to say "Turkey isn't European!" is some form of racism/anti-Turk, or an idea that Moslems can't be European.
In which case, I think Bosnia would want to have a word with you.
Hahahah what?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's why people don't consider it European. The majority of it is in Asia.
Secondly, just what are you smoking? Europeans don't need racism or religious prejudices in order to arbitrarily hate one another.
There's plenty of bad history to pick from.

Shit, I can just imagine under your logic some conversation with Pope Clement VII and Henry VIII shouting at each other, saying both of them aren't European anymore.

The reason why Turkey IS considered European, is because it is a powerful country that connects two continents and is generally euro friendly.

On joining the EU:
Public opinion in EU countries generally opposes Turkish membership, though with varying degrees of intensity. The Eurobarometer September–October 2006 survey shows that 59% of EU-27 citizens are against Turkey joining the EU, while only about 28% are in favour. Nearly all citizens (about 9 in 10) expressed concerns about human rights as the leading cause."
Not muslim scare or racism; you bloody Americans and your identity politics. Bleh.

Although that's more like the US has land/places in Europe that it considers a part of America, but that's only because the parent country allows it. "Thrace" is most emphatically Turkish. At least now anyway.
-Successor state to Imperial France
-Historically a major influence in all of Western Europe
-Adopted the latin alphabet under Isabella I of Castile, generally followed the lead of the Western European powers with democracy/nationalism etc.
-Long-time ally/friendly nation for many European states ("...in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old. . .” ~Churchill)
-Has holdings in Europe that are American territory

So under these definitions, America is a European country.
And thus we delve deeper into the insanity that is trying to rationalize continent definitions intermingled with border lines. It's not possible, the definitions are that arbitrary and prone to massive exemptions.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: December 18, 2013, 02:05:20 pm »

On the Scottish issue. A problem is that while there might be a clear historical division, and a political division, there's no geological division. There's a way around that. By using the Trident for NPE's , we can quickly engineer a geological division and swat 2 flies at once.

There is a degree of geological division in that we have a sizable river dividing Scotland and England called the River Tweed, unfortunately the wars have resulted in the border being unnecessarily further North beyond the Tweed. But yes if we could plonk ourselves right in the middle of the Atlantic or something everything would be ok.

I think, aside from some human rights and anti-secularism, the only reason to say "Turkey isn't European!" is some form of racism/anti-Turk, or an idea that Moslems can't be European.
In which case, I think Bosnia would want to have a word with you.
Hahahah what?
That's why people don't consider it European. The majority of it is in Asia.

And yet a sizable portion is internationally recognised as part of Turkey and part of Turkey alone, unlike the USA which only has holdings in Europe that are leased to them by the parent states.

-Successor state to Imperial France
-Historically a major influence in all of Western Europe
-Adopted the latin alphabet under Isabella I of Castile, generally followed the lead of the Western European powers with democracy/nationalism etc.
-Long-time ally/friendly nation for many European states ("...in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old. . .” ~Churchill)
-Has holdings in Europe that are American territory

So under these definitions, America is a European country.
And thus we delve deeper into the insanity that is trying to rationalize continent definitions intermingled with border lines. It's not possible, the definitions are that arbitrary and prone to massive exemptions.

Being influential in Europe has nothing to do with it, for me it is a clear matter of geography and my definition of Europe ends in the Caucasus and the Ural Mountains. Turkey is fortunate that a sizable portion of its territory lies within Europe. I am willing to be convinced, however. Turkish Thrace has no comparison with military bases and secret installations in other peoples' countries.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:09:33 pm by Owlbread »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: December 18, 2013, 02:08:53 pm »

-double post-

t. fortsorter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Most Sophisticated Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: December 18, 2013, 02:09:10 pm »

Very well then, shall we contact the Soviet engineers in order to hear their insight regarding the forceful transportation of tectonic plates? There might be slight earthquakes occurring due to the process, but I believe an independent Scotland might yet be possible. Alba in our time!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: December 18, 2013, 02:11:32 pm »

Very well then, shall we contact the Soviet engineers in order to hear their insight regarding the forceful transportation of tectonic plates? There might be slight earthquakes occurring due to the process, but I believe an independent Scotland might yet be possible. Alba in our time!

Well the great Wolf of the Caucasus, Dzhokhar Dudayev, believed that the Russians were trying to destabilise his country through earthquake machines. I'm sure if they could get that far by now they'd be able to shift the tectonic plates.

Alba gu brath is the battle cry at the moment. Scotland forever, literally. It's like our version of Erin go bragh, although we say it as much as the Irish Republicans used to say "tiocfaidh ar la".
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:13:23 pm by Owlbread »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: December 18, 2013, 02:14:27 pm »

While we're talking about arbitrary borders, why the hell is Europe considered its own continent? Asia/Africa and North/South America have very tiny land connections to each other, but the entire eastern border of Europe is connected to Asia. Shouldn't it be one continent of Eurasia?

Continents being determined by cultural borders doesn't really justify it either considering all the cultural differences within continents.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: December 18, 2013, 02:16:19 pm »

While we're talking about arbitrary borders, why the hell is Europe considered its own continent? Asia/Africa and North/South America have very tiny land connections to each other, but the entire eastern border of Europe is connected to Asia. Shouldn't it be one continent of Eurasia?

Continents being determined by cultural borders doesn't really justify it either considering all the cultural differences within continents.

It should really be the continent of Eurasia, although I like to call Europe a subcontinent. Surely it's as much a "subcontinent" as India?

t. fortsorter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Most Sophisticated Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: December 18, 2013, 02:17:18 pm »

Praise the Greeks for creating a whole continent to call our own, fufufu~
Besides, we have quite a large European colo- ahem. Excursion! in Asia. Russia owns Siberia, after all! That's from where our gas comes from, with various other resources. If only Putin could be more friendly to the Union, yet as long as we are this close to the US this is but a daydream.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2649 on: December 18, 2013, 02:20:57 pm »

While we're talking about arbitrary borders, why the hell is Europe considered its own continent?
Because reasons.
I like continental plate definitions, it has the advantage of making the south Georgia islands their own continent.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: December 18, 2013, 02:23:37 pm »

While we're talking about arbitrary borders, why the hell is Europe considered its own continent?
Egregious Eurocentrism, that's why.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: December 18, 2013, 02:25:28 pm »

Russia is exactly like the USA in its colonization of the East. No different to the white settlers across the pond taking land from the Native Americans. That's why my definition of Russia is only really these red and yellow areas plus the historical Slavic territories (like Novgorod) in a fairly small radius around it. Everything else, like everything East of Finland, is not Russia:

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:30:49 pm by Owlbread »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: December 18, 2013, 02:26:58 pm »

I like continental plate definitions, it has the advantage of making the south Georgia islands their own continent.
Ah, but it also makes Greenland a North American country. Also means that India isn't Asian, it is Indian, and Saudi Arabia is Arabian.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: December 18, 2013, 02:29:42 pm »

Scotland also has its own tectonic plate.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: December 18, 2013, 02:31:10 pm »

Egregious Eurocentrism, that's why.
Same reason why most of our maps use a variety of strange projections that make Europe look bigger.

Truly, the difference of Europe is very flexible. I mean, at times parts of Spain weren't considered Europe.

Scotland also has its own tectonic plate.
Truly, now we just need to get Scotland on said plate, and the problem is solved.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 1393