Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743950 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2025 on: November 07, 2013, 01:32:58 pm »

Sadly, there's not much else they can do. It's also unlikely that any major changes are made, as these are rules that are written down in the Maastricht treaty. An attempt to change anything on it would immediately be used by everyone else to change that which they don't like. (UK would want more exceptions, ....) After all, these treaties are unanimously agreed upon.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: November 09, 2013, 11:25:31 am »

Well, it's Remembrance Sunday tomorrow. I bought a poppy but I haven't worn it yet, I couldn't fit it on my clothes because they don't have pins anymore. I wonder though if I will bother at all next year. The red poppy symbol has become pro-military propaganda, part of the whole "every soldier is a hero" soldier worshiping bullshit in this country today. In Northern Ireland it has also been hijacked as a Loyalist symbol, causing great division in the province.

I heard a minister down in England had the temerity to criticise the song "I vow to thee my country", saying that to suggest that dying for your country is a good way of getting into heaven (basically) is absolutely disgusting. The song invokes "the old lie", dare I quote "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori". He's been completely slated for it as well, eaten alive by the soldier worshiping press and the tabloids. It's stuff like that that just turns me off the whole thing. I observe the minute silence but I'm wary of wearing a badge that commemorates the sacrifice of Commonwealth soldiers and nobody else. I'd rather commemorate all victims of war, not just my own relatives who have been killed or ruined by both wars but also those they fought and possibly killed, along with the civilians, conscientious objectors and all the rest of them. Let's not forget the Americans, Soviets, Poles, French...

A political activist I know of said recently that the Red Poppy commemorates "Marine A", while the White Poppy commemorates the POW he murdered. I find myself sympathising with that sentiment, I'm not sure if I could bring myself to wear a white poppy just yet though.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:32:35 am by Owlbread »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: November 09, 2013, 12:06:00 pm »

That's a sad thing really. Over here, it's more of a symbol for the idiocy in war. Of course, the war is also politicized, but more to benefit Flemish secessionism rather than a pro-war stance.

Could be due to the fact that's here were the massive graveyards are, and where we're still digging up tonnes of unexploded ammunition each year. (Also, massive poison gas bombs dumped in front of the coast).

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: November 09, 2013, 12:12:30 pm »

I'm more appalled by the fact that our repulsive media isn't calling this a war crime.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: November 09, 2013, 12:14:51 pm »

Silly owlbread. It's only a war crime when a third world country and/or the losing side does it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: November 09, 2013, 12:23:05 pm »

That was still handled much better than mass-murders of Afghan civilians by military personnel from some other countries.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: November 09, 2013, 12:29:37 pm »

The thing is... if that marine had stood on a land mine on his first day he'd be called a hero.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:31:48 pm by Owlbread »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2032 on: November 09, 2013, 07:23:23 pm »

The thing is... if that marine had stood on a land mine on his first day he'd be called a hero.
Well it's a whole lot better than calling someone who's just had their leg blown off a bellend

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: November 09, 2013, 07:43:43 pm »

Sometimes bellends get their legs blown off though. Maybe just call it a tragedy.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: November 09, 2013, 08:20:21 pm »

... does bellend have a meaning beyond what wikipedia redirects to? E: Possibly belated suggestion: I wouldn't particularly recommend entering the term into wikipedia.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: November 09, 2013, 08:21:11 pm »

It does not, I am sorry that you had to be put through that.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2036 on: November 10, 2013, 04:34:57 am »

... does bellend have a meaning beyond what wikipedia redirects to? E: Possibly belated suggestion: I wouldn't particularly recommend entering the term into wikipedia.
It does not, I am sorry that you had to be put through that.
Oh how the innocent have fallen

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: November 10, 2013, 02:34:03 pm »

... today I learnt that even crude British idioms have a wiki entry. Outstanding.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2038 on: November 10, 2013, 02:50:52 pm »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: November 10, 2013, 02:59:32 pm »

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/man-nails-testicles-to-red-square-cobblestones-in-bizarre-protest/489300.html
I... What? Just, what? Is any cause worth such a feat?

A universal vaccine would have me considering it, if only for a few seconds.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 1393