Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743733 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #1980 on: October 26, 2013, 03:51:37 am »

There are no cats in America, and the streets are paved with Cheese.
That sounds like an awful place, who would ever want to live there?

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: October 26, 2013, 04:30:44 am »

Point is, illegal immigrants don't know shit about country they are getting to. They pay gorrilion dollars to traffickers in hope that they will have better life. If they don't die on the way there they are at least swindled out of all their savings and left alone in foreign country. Most of the time they would be better off staying in their home country.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1982 on: October 26, 2013, 06:38:20 am »

Furthermore, they manage to find the money to pay people to traverse them through.
Let's put it this way: if you're living in a hell on earth country, and yet you still manage to scavenge one thousand euros to traverse you, and your family for one thousand euros more each...
Why don't you keep your thousand euros and use them in your country as either savings or ways to improve the situation?
Let's say I was so desperate going to America, I'd put aside savings to reach enough money to buy a ticket. Now, why should I actually go to America, if by working hard enough I actually manage to have savings in the first place?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: October 26, 2013, 06:41:56 am »

Because the land you owned, which you can no longer produce enough food to live on from, still has a value on it's own as just a piece of geography and a one-time sale, from which you can get enough money to go someplace better.

And let's not forgive people who get the money by selling themselves into debt to organized crime.
Love, scriver~

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: October 26, 2013, 07:25:18 am »

The original statement still holds true. They're going from a situation where they have little to a situation where they have nothing, or are in massive debt. (And eventually send back, once the procedures are through with.) Even if they get to stay, their situation doesn't improve much.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: October 26, 2013, 07:28:58 am »

The potential situation their children does vastly improve though. It all depends on what happens once they cross the sea of course.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: October 26, 2013, 07:31:33 am »

Most of the time it doesn't.  The majority of immigrants are economical refugees, which are not recognized, and often send back at the first opportunity.

And even if they do manage to get recognized, they'll arrive in areas of Italy where unemployment is already high, and the only work they can find is seasonal at best.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1987 on: October 26, 2013, 07:35:58 am »

Not only seasonal, but excruciating and inhuman.
Furthermore, the more they insist on receiving more than what Italy can already give them, the more they protest, the more they revolt, the worse their situation becomes as more and more people start thinking 'What the hell. We're already taking you in, why do you have to rampage around town now!?'
And let's not forget that from the South they move up to the North. Usually Italy is just a stepping stone, from there they either head to France or elsewhere in Europe.
They could go to Greece...but hey, the Greeks hit them and refuse them. Malta opens fire if they come nearby and Spain isn't any better.
Except Italy, who has the stigma of a Fascist past, the rest of the European nations adopt the good old 'Oh! It's not our problem...what, this? No! I wasn't going to shoot the immigrant's boat down! Really...look that way for a while please'.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: October 26, 2013, 07:39:29 am »

Spain and Greece also have a facist past, which is just as ugly as the Italian one. It's not often remembered though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1989 on: October 26, 2013, 10:00:20 am »

The immigrants are really better off staying where they are. Literally.
Must I state the obvious? These immigrants are willing to brave the ocean in makeshift rafts and toy rubber boats, and keep doing it after decades with countless of them drowning or dying of exposure in the way. That should give you a hint on how awful it is where they come from.
Those who go the open ocean go by hitching a ride on commercial liners where possible; most will try the short channels into other countries. It literally doesn't matter is on the other side, it'll always be greener for someone anywhere but there and the only difference is the resources the individual has to get to elsewhere. The greatest risk is not drowning or exposure, but instead being sold into slavery by criminals after arriving in a country which has no need and no place for them.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: October 26, 2013, 10:36:10 am »

And well, 20 euros a day for back-breaking labor may not seem cool, but that's like 20 time the GDP per capita in countries like the DRC.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: October 26, 2013, 10:39:29 am »

That doesn't really matter, given that the nation they are now in has higher costs to match the higher pay.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1992 on: October 26, 2013, 10:50:30 am »

Which is why they send the money back home, but the problem is...how? I think there are some guys in the postal offices who see these package arrive filled with money and simply start emptying them.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: October 26, 2013, 10:57:31 am »

Y'all are making the classic libertarian mistake, you know. The reason that any free-market will fail without regulation, is also the reason you seem to be scratching your head about "Why are they risking everything to come here, when they'll just be sent back?"

You're assuming that all the migrants are perfectly rational actors who have all the information they need at their fingertips. When, no, not really? Try living hand-to-mouth in a destabilized country with your children starving, and you starving yourself, and try and be rational in that situation. And while the internet is great for information, not everyone has it, and the likelihood of a potential migrant having it or many other sources of information is... low.

Not to mention it seems innate in humans that when the going gets tough in a region, you just... move to a new region. It's only been for the past 5 700 years that we've settled -at all-, and even then it's only been a few areas that have been settled, so there were still whole continents you could roam across. It's only been recently that, no, you -can't- move to a new area if the one you're in is getting bad. At least, not easily!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 10:59:11 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: October 26, 2013, 11:32:40 am »

You're assuming that all the migrants are perfectly rational actors who have all the information they need at their fingertips.
That, but also disregarding the utility function - when choosing between living on a dollar a day for all eternity and having a tiny chance at success together witha significant chance of death or worse things, it can be reasonable to pick the second option.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 1393