Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743376 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #1860 on: October 18, 2013, 11:36:50 am »

I read something about the UK using SMS messages to evict approximately 55 000 foreigners, who have passports and many which have been there for a few decades. Couldn't find a non-dutch, or more than one source for it, so I'm not sure if it's real, instead have this.

SNP intends to cut energy prices by 5% post independence, by scrapping green subsidies

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: October 18, 2013, 11:53:16 am »

I read something about the UK using SMS messages to evict approximately 55 000 foreigners, who have passports and many which have been there for a few decades. Couldn't find a non-dutch, or more than one source for it, so I'm not sure if it's real, instead have this.

SNP intends to cut energy prices by 5% post independence, by scrapping green subsidies

The only evidence I can offer for the SMS thing is apocryphal, sorry -  an ex student of mine who is of Afghani origin being told via text that he was to be deported at the end of his studies, so he "dissapeared", last seen in Manchester, heading for London. There has been no sign of him since.
This is a blank sig.

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: October 18, 2013, 02:37:43 pm »

Guardian article

A total of 39,100 text messages have been sent by Capita on behalf of the government as part of a contract to track down about 58,800 individuals who may not have the right to live in the UK.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: October 18, 2013, 02:44:24 pm »

The British government sent those god awful vans up to Scotland even though we need more immigrants. The fact that our government protested vocally couldn't stop them. This whole thing is an issue for the South East of England that should have no bearing on us.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 02:54:40 pm by Owlbread »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: October 18, 2013, 02:56:06 pm »

The British government sent those god awful vans up to Scotland even though we need more immigrants. The fact that our government protested vocally couldn't stop them. This whole thing is an issue for the South East of England that should have no bearing on us.

...just how much do you need immigrants

explain in as much depth as you're willing to spare

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: October 18, 2013, 03:02:34 pm »

...just how much do you need immigrants

explain in as much depth as you're willing to spare

Scotland's population, like those of other small European countries, is aging. Not as badly as some people suggest, but it is still aging and generally stagnating. We need far, far more young people to create a workforce that's big enough for our plans for the future, and that's regardless of independence.

Scotland in the next 50-60 years could be one of the biggest producers of clean water in Europe for both commercial purposes and humanitarian purposes, something that will get worse as the years wear on. The SNP's soundbite was that they wanted to make Scotland the "Saudi Arabia" of renewable energy (I think we already have something like 25% of the EU's wind power capacity), again something that will become more important as we move through the century. Our plans are essentially to keep doing what we're doing (e.g. producing oil, whisky, renewable energy, water, salmon, Harris tweed, beef, lamb, crops like potatoes etc) but on a far, far larger scale. To do that we're going to need a bigger workforce, as well as young consumers who are willing to spend more money.

I can't stress enough here that if anyone is thinking of actually moving here whether that's from England, Canada, Belgium or Brazil, please consider it seriously and look into it. Right now Scotland is the Alberta of the UK as far as that is concerned, if you know what I mean. Skilled labourers and tradesmen are also very welcome.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:08:05 pm by Owlbread »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: October 18, 2013, 03:06:02 pm »

I honestly doubt you have more wind than Germany. Bigger country and all that.

More potential sure, but installed capacity?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: October 18, 2013, 03:13:23 pm »

The overall potential for offshore turbines, including that which has already been exploited, is something like 25 GW. I don't know how much Germany has but they are hoping to produce around 26 GW by 2030. Of course, we aren't just looking at wind power - we have 85% of the UK's hydroelectric energy resource, then there's all the tidal/wave power out and around the Islands. We have the third biggest coastline in Europe after all behind Norway and Greece at 11,800 km2.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:17:58 pm by Owlbread »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: October 18, 2013, 03:22:25 pm »

Wikipedia says 2.5 Gigawat for Scotland and 29 Gigawat for Germany. Both numbers are for actual installed capacity, and both for 2011.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: October 18, 2013, 03:25:51 pm »

Wikipedia says 2.5 Gigawat for Scotland and 29 Gigawat for Germany. Both numbers are for actual installed capacity, and both for 2011.

I apologise, I was incorrect. We have 25% of the EU's potential wind power capacity, though everywhere I google that statistic I actually hear it's 25% of Europe's potential capacity.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: October 18, 2013, 03:38:14 pm »

Still pretty good for renewables though. You're probably going to lead in Tidal as well (Mediterranean doesn't have strong tidals, and Norway's coast is also illsuited )

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: October 20, 2013, 08:00:42 am »

And i was thinking that id have to argue have Scottish grandparents on my dads side gave me some kind of right of return .
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: October 20, 2013, 08:19:00 am »

And i was thinking that id have to argue have Scottish grandparents on my dads side gave me some kind of right of return .

You could be of any ancestry at all, there's no problem. Ideally you should be an EU citizen already to make things easier.

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: October 20, 2013, 10:43:54 am »

After the installation of a free trade agreement between Canada and the EU, the TAFTA (Transatlantic free trade agreement) will follow soon. I believe this is a terrible idea, and I believe it is terrible that the EU does not ask at all the people living inside it. An example of what scares me is that both US and EU are in favour of such a clause:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investor-state_dispute_settlement
and an example with regard to fracking. The perils of investor dispute settlement
http://www.canadiansailings.ca/?p=7540

Why can I not get rid of the feeling, that these kinds of agreements are not really a benefit for all, but for some few, those that drive these kind of plans? It really scares me. Even if i believed that all this was only a plan of the politicians and that those really tried to work in our favour (according to their job description), or at least to make the world a better place, I would still have a bad feeling, since many of the central values of the US are incompatible with those in Europe. Just think about the different ideas of how free markets should work, and the story about Obamacare. Already now, within Europe, bizarre things happen because someone thinks that markets are distorted (Eu tried to forbid Swedes their national drug: http://www.thelocal.se/50672/20131008/). What if someone has the brilliant idea soon that national health benefit systems are distorting the market against commercial insurances. (ok, unrealistic(?) example, but there are better, more subtle ones)
Also, from a purely European perspective, it is hard enough to fight off stupid attacks from powerful corporations* as things are now. Such an agreement will give attackers a lot of leverage and take power away from governments.

*Monsanto etc: http://www.seed-sovereignty.org/EN/
other examples are the software patent legislation battles,
the hormones in beef (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_hormone_controversy)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:45:58 am by Evil Knievel »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: October 20, 2013, 10:51:30 am »

Actually, you could also say that the Canada-Eu treaty will allow the EU to stand stronger in the negotiations, because that agreement is going to be voted in one way or another.

Additionally, the Snuff thing was not because of a suspected market distortion. It's clearly an example of Public Health starting a battle against tobacco in all it's forms. (Due to illformated laws. It banned all tobacco based flavored products.)

Additionally, hormones in meat are forbidden (As stated in the Free trade agreement) as are many GMO products. So don't worry about it.

Edit: In order to cause some panic, last time I looked a SOPA equivalent was part of this treaty.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:58:38 am by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 1393