Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743133 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #1680 on: September 24, 2013, 12:25:12 am »

Careful or you'll end up like Italy Chaos.

There is a quorum to reach in Italy too, but to reach it, parties form coalitions that then reach power to mantain the majority.
It is basically 'The government of the fat guys sitting on the comfy armchairs, who do what they can to remain on their comfy armchairs'.
True democracy shouldn't have a minimum percentage. Every party should have a voice, every ideal, every political decision.
Slows down democracy? Maybe, but isn't that the purpose of democracy? 'Everyone has a voice'?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #1681 on: September 24, 2013, 12:48:30 am »

Thanks Shade. I was more asking about the whole multi-party system rather than specifically the percentage bit, although now I see that wasn't reflected in my choice of quotes. Oops.

I absolutely agree with you about democracy. That's why I'm so interested in multiple-party systems, because although we have a good number of political parties in the US, you have to rely on Russia Today to report on anything other than the two predominant ones (and maybe an Independent runner), which stifles their involvement.

I'm not really sure how the percentages work, though, unless those are roughly how many elected officials are in government for each faction. Unless Italy and Germany don't elect officials, they just get a number of representatives based on party votes? But then who chooses the representative? /doesn't know a thing
(And before anyone comes up with the whole "Google exists" thing, I'm just going to say that I will appreciate an explanation to my question here if anyone decides to give one)

Does anywhere in Europe have a tax-funded media outlet that focuses on democratic proceedings? I'm not talking government-controlled, just funded to actually support democracy by giving the public access to different political parties. I'd love to have to have something like that in the States, and with Europe's political climate there might be something like that so I figured I'd ask.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1682 on: September 24, 2013, 01:02:55 am »

In Italy, the 'Party' gets to choose.

We simply vote the parties when the time comes, and bam, the parties choose who to put in power (There are actually 'moneys' to be made. If you enter a party, you pay tot euros -in Italy- and then if you get elected you pay 'support' to your party)
No wonders Italians brought organized crime to a new level.
We have an organized mafia on the television (Known as Rai), which forces Italians to pay a 'tot' every year as long as you have a television screen. It doesn't matter if you're using it for playstation rather than television...you have one, you've got to pay the Rai Tax. If you don't, they'll come into your home and place a thick iron sheet over your screen.
Yes. They will.

Rai is, by the way, the 'tax-funded democractic  media' with a 'tax' forced down Italian's throats and with every news being accurately filtered and delivered only after a more shocking one comes to pass.
I get 99% of my political information online, from online newspaper coming from at least five different countries.

And I'm subscribed to both neo-fascist AND neo-communist pages on facebook, because either way, if you want the truth you've got to find it out for yourself by checking both sides and then getting the middle ground.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: September 24, 2013, 01:17:48 am »

Germans get 2 votes in elections: a direct one for a local candidate, and one for a party. Second one is the one that matters for the numbers, first one is essentially "local candidate vs. marginal person on the party-wide list".
For the second vote to count at all, the party you vote for need to get either 5% of those, or to have 3 people with a direct mandate from the first vote.

It's a compromise to keep things from becoming unmanageable without raising the bar too high for new parties to establish themselves. I find the restrictions unappealing ideologically, but on the whole it works quite well.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1684 on: September 24, 2013, 01:20:21 am »

And I'm subscribed to both neo-fascist AND neo-communist pages on facebook, because either way, if you want the truth you've got to find it out for yourself by checking both sides and then getting the middle ground.
Looking at two extremes on facebook is hardly the way to find truths in my opinion. Is the news situation that dire?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1685 on: September 24, 2013, 01:35:49 am »

You either hear extremists or you hear of murders happening in towns...that is the level of the news in italy. It takes more columns to talk about how berlusconi goes whoring than the economic crysis.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: September 24, 2013, 06:20:54 am »

European country usually have publicly-founded broadcaster who have to give equal treatment to all parties, or give airtime according to the last election result.

France actually goes one step further and monitor every single news channel, making sure they are fair. They also ban any release of exit polls on election day until the voting booths are closed.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: September 24, 2013, 06:30:54 am »

Basically, shadeniht gets his news from commie nazis.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1688 on: September 24, 2013, 06:47:06 am »

Half of the time, the other half it's you guys who deliver them.
Not much of a choice, one side refuses to deliver 'some' news, the other side 'goes down the extreme end' and hence, I have to look at at least two to three different sources to get a general picture.

Did you know we still have Fascism in Italy? It's a party called "Fascismo e Libertà" it's real, it exists, it's not illegal or unlawful, because Fascism that does NOT remove 'freedom' from the others is a legal and lawful party that CAN exist.

Hence, 'Fascist' isn't an insult. It's a definition.

I didn't know that until I stumbled upon it. Nobody said anything about it anywhere...nor did the schools, the newspapers or anyone else.
We have not one, not two, but SIX fascists parties (One of which even managed to get a man in the parliament).
We have, by the same token, Right-winged and Left-winged fascists.
And the funny thing is...

There are more Nazis in america now than in Germany.
Got to love the world. XD

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: September 24, 2013, 01:29:54 pm »

I heard about that on the radio today. It's amazing how far up Ed's arse some of those BBC reporters are though in their descriptions of him, I felt sick by the end of the report after hearing him described as being "action-hero" like and shit.

It's certainly in contrast to Scottish Labour's policies up here where they believe we live in a "something for nothing society" and oppose universal benefits, and believe that our system of free prescription charges and free University education should be scrapped in favour of giving a bit of extra cash to colleges.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 01:32:56 pm by Owlbread »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: September 24, 2013, 02:33:39 pm »

On the issue of the German 5% line, I fully support it. Just look at Weimar - democratic states are not there to act out the 'will of the people', but to keep all necessary institutions functioning - total democracy, with splinter parties and absurd coalitions, would make that an impossibility. We learned: We no longer have an Ersatz Kaiser, we have a much stronger parliament, and we have no splinter parties that are only out to damage the state. In this election, the 5% line kept the FDP (market liberals) and the AfD (anti-Euro right-wing populist asshats) out of the Bundestag. It may be undemocratic, but it keeps democracy working.

On the technical bits of the 5% line: In the elections, you give your first vote to a direct candidate (like a Congressman in the US, I guess) and your second vote (Zweitstimme) to a 'list', AKA a party. All the direct candidates, who usually are part of a list too, get into the Bundestag, and additional people from the lists get seats to make sure the composition of the Bundestag matches the shares of votes a list got via Zweitstimmen. However, if less than 5% of the Zweitstimmen go to a specific list, that list gets absolutely zero representatives except for direct mandates. (And apparently three direct mandates would get you there too, but direct mandates almost exclusively go to the big parties CDU and SPD - Hans-Christian Ströbele of the Greens being a notable exception. He, too, by the way, is an asshat.)

And yeah, we have broadcasting with public funds - they're responsible for 'old people' TV, quality crime fiction (Tatort rocks!), local news, live transmission of debates in the Bundestag that nobody in his right mind can stand to watch (Phoenix), general cultural stuff, and Arte, which is a hilariously weird German-French bilingual and bi-cultural station that has been described as "the station that everyone likes, but nobody watches". (It's awesome, and you should totally watch it.)

EDIT: This describes Merkel's attitude perfectly.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 03:02:09 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: September 24, 2013, 04:44:41 pm »

That's the first time I've ever seen "Market Liberals" and "Anti-euro right-wing asshats" in the same context and tone. :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: September 24, 2013, 05:32:29 pm »

That's the first time I've ever seen "Market Liberals" and "Anti-euro right-wing asshats" in the same context and tone. :v
In Germany, they overlap - the pools of possible voters for FDP and AfD overlap to quite some extent, probably contributing to neither of them getting into parliament. And while the FDP is generally hated right now, I actually have a soft spot for them: They might just make the transition to a social liberal type of party.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: September 24, 2013, 07:10:27 pm »

It lost a little bit of it's "Wat"ness when I realized that "Market liberal" could mean the same thing as "Fiscal conservative" :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 1393