Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743141 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #1545 on: September 07, 2013, 04:40:16 pm »

... so who are Khan and Djanogly?
Is this the moment to make Star Trek references or would it spoil the movie?
Yes and Yes.

Use spoilers.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: September 08, 2013, 05:28:23 am »

What we need is a relaxing cup of...

You know, I'm kind of grateful to the IOC for NOT allowing our brainless goverment to further drive us into ruin by wanton spending in an Olympic Games in the middle of a nasty economic crisis.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: September 09, 2013, 10:41:34 am »

Time for the daily "make Owlbread angry" story.
At first, I thought Muslim Jihadists were helping out in Scottish schools. You know, to show the world that religious extremists care about the Scottish children.

I was a little confused.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: September 09, 2013, 10:47:15 am »

I hadn't heard of that yet. There was always a close link with the local churches when I was in primary school and secondary school (even when I was 16 I still went to the church services) and the schools would regularly observe Christian traditions. We also had the local minister who would come in and talk to the kids about various things.

The thing is though it was never in your face, never being shoved down your throat. It was just... there, really. I would rather it wasn't there but I have to admit I actually enjoyed listening to the minister when I was a little boy (I did believe in God at that time, but regardless). By my own experience, to this day most Headmasters/Headmistresses are outwardly Christian and some still go to church regularly, even as elders.

I don't know how this compares to the US, but I remember school as being quite close to the Church, with the school chaplain being a known presence. In High School, our chaplain was a radical baptist who, answering my own questions, believed in "micro evolution, not macro evolution". I just knew him though as a nice guy from Glasgow who was a bit loopy and played football with us. We saw either him or another guy with far less charisma from the Church of Scotland basically every assembly, which was once or twice a month. My favourite though was when the wank from the Church of Scotland brought over a little old Afrikaner minister with a white beard from Zimbabwe. He had really interesting stories about Zimbabwe and I liked his accent.

I am not surprised that these zealots were able to infiltrate that kind of an environment, especially if the headmistresses/teachers were of a slightly more Christian persuasion than normal.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:57:25 am by Owlbread »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1550 on: September 09, 2013, 11:20:51 am »

That happens in any school with any religion background.
My opinion?

Only Atheists will go to Heaven.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: September 09, 2013, 11:21:43 am »

I fucking hope not - heaven sounds like a shit place to end up. I would much rather the sweet release of endless sleep.
This is a blank sig.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1552 on: September 09, 2013, 11:31:09 am »

Well, it's pretty simple.
All people who believe in heaven and hell do good things in hope of heaven.
Atheists don't believe in heaven, hence they do good because it is the right thing to do, and not to earn a prize at the end of their life.
So Atheists do 'Good without interest'.
Religious people don't.

We'll see each other in Heaven. Whether we like it or not. XD
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: September 09, 2013, 11:45:42 am »

... that's kinda', well. Wrong?

There's a non-negligible amount of religious people -- I've met more than a handful -- that specifically do good things because it's the right thing to do, with or without the additional metaphysical burden. Some even recognize that, yes, doing good deeds specifically because you're after salvation is selfish and can (will) bar your way to <whatever counts as Good End>. With christianity, th'goal isn't to reach heaven, it's to walk with (as) Jesus -- to imitate the critter's ways. Heaven's an necessary consequence of that, but if it's what you're after, you're doing it wrong. You've got similar concepts with a number of religions, major and otherwise.

And... yeah. Not 'Good without interest', or at least very bloody rarely. It's just 'good because of good', 'good because of feels', or 'good because of conditioning'.

... anyway. European politics thread probably not right place for discussion.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: September 09, 2013, 11:50:25 am »

I think the brand of Christianity in Scotland helped people like my grandparents quite a lot with its ethos of striving to be a better person, in spite of who you are and all your faults.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:52:29 am by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: September 09, 2013, 12:21:14 pm »

I don't know how this compares to the US, but I remember school as being quite close to the Church, with the school chaplain being a known presence.
Yeah, that would not fly in the US. Not even remotely. You might be able to get away with having a religious figure have an officially sanctioned extra-curricular speech or something, but nothing more.
In High School, our chaplain was a radical baptist who, answering my own questions, believed in "micro evolution, not macro evolution".
Ugh. Just when I stop hearing about that, it comes up again. I'm glad this is a past tense example. The Micro-Macro thing is for people who want to accept evolution without accepting evolution.
I am not surprised that these zealots were able to infiltrate that kind of an environment, especially if the headmistresses/teachers were of a slightly more Christian persuasion than normal.
I'm not surprised either. There are plenty of Christians in the US who would be thrilled to find an environment with no legal secularism in which they could ply their trade. That's primarily why they support the private school movement over here so strongly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: September 09, 2013, 12:26:43 pm »

I certainly hope we stamp out activities like that of the zealots before they start exploiting the other schools. They're wide open to that kind of thing.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: September 09, 2013, 12:54:15 pm »

In High School, our chaplain was a radical baptist who, answering my own questions, believed in "micro evolution, not macro evolution".
Ugh. Just when I stop hearing about that, it comes up again. I'm glad this is a past tense example. The Micro-Macro thing is for people who want to accept evolution without accepting evolution.
I always thought of it less "I want to accept evolution but can't," and more of a "I don't want to accept evolution but I'm not willing to ignore the evidence entirely, and want to explain it away."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: September 09, 2013, 01:26:35 pm »

Well, it's pretty simple.
All people who believe in heaven and hell do good things in hope of heaven.
Atheists don't believe in heaven, hence they do good because it is the right thing to do, and not to earn a prize at the end of their life.
So Atheists do 'Good without interest'.
Religious people don't.

We'll see each other in Heaven. Whether we like it or not. XD
A pretty convincing case for that argument can be made using Biblical texts. However, the center point of Christianity is therefore not doing good for the reward, but doing it for the act itself.

Even the pope recently said that Good atheists end up in heaven.

I always thought of it less "I want to accept evolution but can't," and more of a "I don't want to accept evolution but I'm not willing to ignore the evidence entirely, and want to explain it away."
Yup, it's accepting the evidence without accepting the consequences.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: September 09, 2013, 02:24:43 pm »

Even the pope recently said that Good atheists end up in heaven.
And the church officials quickly found a way to talk around it, but the point stands - why should good people go to hell? That's the problem I have with many branches of protestantism - this sort of problem is impossible to avoid with 'sola fide'.
(Speaking as a devout roman-catholic agnostic here, by the way ;) )
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 1393