Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743066 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #1485 on: August 29, 2013, 05:26:41 pm »

i was a whole 2 years in gaza. there is power in gaza, ironically, even in their tunnels. i personally defended electricity engineers that had to enter the strip to fix power lines.

http://www.gisha.org/map-item.asp?lang_id=en&p_id=886
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:30:41 pm by burningpet »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1486 on: August 29, 2013, 05:30:47 pm »

Nadaka - nope. please, either read again, or fix your logic. its not sound.
Ok. I reread it again. You literally contradicted your self.

In the first case,ethnically cleansing the Palestinians is justified because it would result in lost taxes.
In the second case, ethnically cleansing the Palestinians by protecting the illegal Israeli settlers is costing you taxes.

My logic is not flawed.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: August 29, 2013, 05:36:06 pm »

"There is no justification for the Israeli settlers being permitted to build houses in the occupied territories, or for the Israeli government to use the threat of more houses being built as a bargaining chip with the USA."

To which i replied:

"I agree and most of the israelis also agree with that. we just don't see any reason to drain our tax money over them (israeli settlers) nor when serving the army, patrol their settlements in the middle of the night to keep them safe only for them to spit on us and call us judo-naziz when they see us in the day (the israeli settlers does that), but that still doesn't mean israel conduct in a large scale ethnic cleansing."

To which, Descan replied:
"That seems very paternalistic, like they can't take care of themselves so you're being oh so self-sacrificing for them, the selfish bastards."

To which, i replied:
"what? you think the settlers could survive less than a day without my tax money or military protection?!"

Cant see any logical contradiction.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1488 on: August 29, 2013, 05:47:44 pm »

If that was what you meant, your post was not very clear.

In that case I have no idea why you are still insisting that Israel isn't ethnically cleansing the Palestinians, despite your apparent disapproval of it.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: August 29, 2013, 06:40:27 pm »

Okay, I thought you were talking about patrolling Palestinian homes and streets, in some kind of paternalistic colonial "We're making their lives better! And they hate us for it!" bullshit.

But yeah, colonizing is pretty much ethnic cleansing, even if you aren't pushing the natives out. Which I'm pretty sure the Israelis are doing to Palestinians.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: August 30, 2013, 06:08:08 pm »

i was a whole 2 years in gaza. there is power in gaza, ironically, even in their tunnels. i personally defended electricity engineers that had to enter the strip to fix power lines.

http://www.gisha.org/map-item.asp?lang_id=en&p_id=886

I'd like to hear more from you about (Edit) your experiences what you have to say about all this, though i understand you have limits.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:33:15 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: August 30, 2013, 08:03:27 pm »

But yeah, colonizing is pretty much ethnic cleansing, even if you aren't pushing the natives out.
Some dead jews would like a word with you, Descan. They apparently dislike terminological inaccuracies.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: August 30, 2013, 08:14:04 pm »

But yeah, colonizing is pretty much ethnic cleansing, even if you aren't pushing the natives out.
Some dead jews would like a word with you, Descan. They apparently dislike terminological inaccuracies.

I'm fairly sure they planned to resettle the areas the dead jews were removed from but the end of the war stopped them in most cases.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: August 30, 2013, 08:16:03 pm »

I didn't say ethnic cleansing was only colonizing, only that colonizing was a form of ethnic cleansing.

But yeah, pretty sure the Germans were planning on colonizing the "vacated" areas.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: August 30, 2013, 08:52:36 pm »

I didn't say ethnic cleansing was only colonizing, only that colonizing was a form of ethnic cleansing.

But yeah, pretty sure the Germans were planning on colonizing the "vacated" areas.
Mz point still stands: Ethnic cleansing, like in Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia, Rwanda and too many other places, is a kind of atrocity that cannot even remotely be compared to colonization. Just look at the expression: Cleansing implies there's nobody left afterwards. Colonialism usually likes to have some natives to exploit.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: August 30, 2013, 08:58:08 pm »

Tell that to the Native Americans. >____>

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: August 31, 2013, 03:18:22 am »

Helgoland, you seems to confond ethnic cleansing and genocide.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: August 31, 2013, 04:37:50 am »

They very often overlap: You could argue that genocide is a means of conducting an ethnic cleansing. Other means are less than pleasant as well.
My point is that colonization does not imply ethnic cleansing: You can colonize without removing the natives. You can of course colonize with removing the natives as well, but that's a much more rare occurence.
Examples for colonization without cleansing: India, South-East Asia, China, most of Africa with South Africa being a special case and there being exceptions like the Herero genocide, and (an interesting one) Siberia as Russia's equivalent to a colonial empire.
The Bay12 postcard club

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: August 31, 2013, 05:28:13 am »

Sure. But many of those colonies were not "settlement colonies", like the US or Australia where a significant European population took place. We're not pretending the Israeli control of most of the West Bank itself is an act of ethnic cleansing. The use of land policy, expropriation, checkpoints and destruction of resources (including olive orchards) to replace the Arab population by Jewish settlers is definitely ethnic cleansing.

Burningpet, while I know that large part of the Israeli public opinion doesn't support the settlers, it is a fact that support for the settlements is a policy of the Israeli government.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: August 31, 2013, 05:59:13 am »

Okay, let's agree on "ethnic cleansing occuring in the process of colonisation".
I'd still rather use a term like displacement - or something else that doesn't sound like heaps of dead bodies...

Slight change of topic: Who else thinks a one-state solution is more realistic and would work better than the two-state one?
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 1393