Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743629 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #1140 on: August 03, 2013, 03:15:23 pm »

Of course if it lost the extra provinces then it would just be the Kingdom of England, as it always should have been. Unless George Galloway somehow turns the country Republican, but that's like turning Texas Democrat.
Funny you would mention that, since Texas is going to be a battleground state in a decade if current trends continue.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1141 on: August 03, 2013, 03:27:35 pm »

Of course if it lost the extra provinces then it would just be the Kingdom of England, as it always should have been. Unless George Galloway somehow turns the country Republican, but that's like turning Texas Democrat.
Funny you would mention that, since Texas is going to be a battleground state in a decade if current trends continue.
Yeah, Texas's republican status isn't solid, they used to be solidly democrat, whereas England has always been a monarchy of sort [ignoring Cromwell's magical adventure].

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: August 03, 2013, 03:52:12 pm »

I've never been an independentist. I'm not one now either, as I don't think the problems we have lie in the state we are inside as a whole as much as in the status quo that is dominant in the western world as a whole. But I'm aghast at the people who would consider military action if the majority of a region's population decided to secede. Are you seriously saying that you'd rather have Chechenya mark II within your own borders than an independent state without?

Are you born Basque, or did you move there, Chairman?

Yeah, Texas's republican status isn't solid, they used to be solidly democrat, whereas England has always been a monarchy of sort [ignoring Cromwell's magical adventure].

Was that when Democrats were the conservative party, or after the Great Shift?
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1143 on: August 03, 2013, 04:07:58 pm »

Was that when Democrats were the conservative party, or after the Great Shift?
Probably. Texas last voted for a democrat in 1976 though, that's so short to call it impossible in comparison to the English calling la revolution.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: August 03, 2013, 04:13:18 pm »

Born Basque. Most of my family is from around here, too. For the record, I wasn't particularily thinking of the Basque Country when I made that comment, though, rather, I was reminiscing how, after a nationalist rally in Catalonia, a (retired) general made a post in his blog on how the independence of Catalonia (or any other region, for that matter) would be prevented "the easy way, or the hard way". I mean, really? "Territorial Integrity" is more important than avoiding civil war? The scary bit is the amount of people, in both sides of the centrifugal-centripetal divide, echoing the sentiment.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: August 03, 2013, 04:57:17 pm »

ChairmanPoo, may I ask, what would you like to see for Basque Country if the Catalans win in their own independence referendum coming up around the same time as ours?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: August 03, 2013, 06:26:01 pm »

That's a difficult one. If it was up to me I'd rather have some kind of federal republic with more power to the regional goverment - something akin to the US organization- probably with some sort of constitutional clause specifying how and when can member regions secede.

In a strict secesion or not secesion poll, assuming it was held today... I'm honestly at an impasse, as of late. A few years ago I'd probably have leaned on "no" (again, I'd accept secession after a poll if it came up. Better that than a military intervention to trump the poll results, as that general posted on his blog. This *is* my land and that of my ancestors since heck knows when, I'd rather have it remain prosperous, and not turn it into a war-wrecked ruin).

Nowadays I'm less sure on what I'd actually write on the ballot. My "no" on that came from a belief that nations were tending further and futher towards unification and supranational states (EU, et al), which I saw mostly as positive, and that going the other way around was just swimming upriver. However... the crisis, and the events during it, have led me to have doubts about this. And from there, having doubts about my usual position about what would. I honestly don't know which way I would swing nowadays. On one hand, I know that it doesn't address the root of the problems in today's society, and in this day and world nation states prosper or not depending on the whims of great financial blocks.  On the other hand, looking around the disastrous management elsewhere it feels tempting, at times. Plus, meeting with people from other regions and hearing their thoughts and ideas about how life in the Basque country, which are quite odd and not infrequently border on the offensive... really, hearing someone who grew up less than 100 km away from my home city spout bizarre stuff about how he thought things were around here, and what kind of policies should be enacted... it does make you wonder.

The matter is complicated further by the complexities of nationalist politics around here. Simplifying things a lot: there's not a single common root for all nationalist parties, but three, each of which is stronger in one region, has it's own offshoot parties, and it's own love-hate relationships with the two others. But that's another thing altogether.

So, TL, DR: it depends on the circumstances in which this was called forth.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: August 03, 2013, 06:54:48 pm »

So in the event that the Catalans vote Yes in an independence referendum come 2014/2015, you would wait to see what the effect on the Basque Country is before making your decision?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: August 03, 2013, 08:12:09 pm »

I want to say something about my own country's succession problem via rebellion but it's in Asia and may not really apply here.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: August 03, 2013, 09:42:57 pm »

I want to say something about my own country's succession problem via rebellion but it's in Asia and may not really apply here.

Don't worry, I think it will be relevant regardless. Fire away.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: August 04, 2013, 08:25:03 am »

You can post here or make a thread about it. First hand sources are good to have.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: August 04, 2013, 09:57:41 am »

Lets just say the rebels settled for being an autonomous region with a treaty of 75-25 split of mined metals. No mention of tax so I assume they go to the region. There's still a splinter group that wants independence still.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: August 04, 2013, 10:00:25 am »

Which country?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: August 04, 2013, 10:04:20 am »

That's in the Philippines. We had Muslim rebels who want independence for the last 40 years or so. Not sure if they were planning to put the Sultan of Sulu as their head of state or they not involve him.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: August 04, 2013, 10:05:52 am »

Sultanate of sulu? Aren't those the guys that tried to invade Malaysia with a score of kalashnikov and two inflatable boats?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 1393