Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744313 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #885 on: July 17, 2013, 08:40:43 am »

Well, that's because I have you around. It's quite refreshing to finally have a subject in which I only need to make lazy ill-informed statements from my own unsupported guesswork, because I know you'll be around within a few hours to explain everything in depth and remind us that the Scottish Unionists are the enemy of all that is good within this reality quadrant, rivaled only by the Cult of Leng and their unnamed masters in the starless void between galactic clusters. And even they don't want to abolish their own political institution.

"The enemies of Scottish Nationalism are not the English, for they were ever a great and generous folk, quick to respond when justice calls. Our real enemies are among us, born without imagination." - founder of the SNP.

But yes, I have edited my post because I realised rather embarrassingly that I had read the article superficially myself.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #888 on: July 20, 2013, 05:28:55 pm »

Britbottle news:
RAF is fine, RN is fine, Army is 39% reliant on uneducated teenagers for recruitment.
Time to invade?
Great Britbottle's defence is largely in the hands of RAF, RN and it's got a nuclear taskforce that so far no one has an answer for yet. And in terms of conventional warfare, Britbottle's still a powerful contender in terms of firepower, helped by the fact that they also occasionally get scraps from the American war machine [they get modern technology and designs while America shoulders most of the research costs]. Army's the one that needs more operators than technicians so if any section were to have this it'd make sense for it to be in the army, but it is slightly harrowing what with the whole saying that boys go to war and come back men is more literal than it should be.

Also, what do you guys think about making soldiers into teachers? I had a soldier as a teacher once. He was absolutely terrifying, and he was always angry at me because I could never figure out he expected me to end every sentence with 'sir.'
He did make a good teacher, but good god the terror.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: July 20, 2013, 07:30:36 pm »

A number of my old teachers were ex-Servicemen and they were the nicest guys there.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 21, 2013, 04:35:35 am »

On another note, it's the 21st today. Abdication, Coronation and National day.

Haven't heard any planes pass over yet, which is kind off strange.

Edit: On that comparison thingy, I don't think it's accurate. I mean, I distinctly remember Belgium having tanks. They're old, but still serviceable.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 21, 2013, 05:00:57 am »

We got rid of ours a while ago I think...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: July 21, 2013, 05:32:19 am »

AFAIK the netherlands rely on the German tank force for that kind of work. It's a start, but... sometimes I wish the European Army would come sooner. It's not like Germany will steamroll France again in the close future, so it's more of a cost saving measure than anything else :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 21, 2013, 11:39:36 am »

Yeah, sending off my countrymen to murder and die for French interests sounds great.
Love, scriver~

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 21, 2013, 11:41:04 am »

Yeah, sending off EUROPEAN COMRADES to tickle and giggle for EUROPEAN COMMON INTERESTS sounds great.
FTFY :P

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: July 21, 2013, 11:44:52 am »

If it means getting rid of the British nukes and neutralising the god awful militarism in Britain I'm all for a pan-European army.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: July 21, 2013, 11:45:15 am »

@scriver: You're already signed to send off your countrymen to die for Nordic interests with these defense cooperation pacts flying around. Surely you won't speak against GLORIOUS NORDIC UNITY?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: July 21, 2013, 12:20:43 pm »

If it means getting rid of the British nukes and neutralising the god awful militarism in Britain I'm all for a pan-European army.

So instead you would trade it for EU nukes (not that Britain or France would ever let go of their nukes anyway) and god awful militarism in the Union? That makes no sense.

@scriver: You're already signed to send off your countrymen to die for Nordic interests with these defense cooperation pacts flying around. Surely you won't speak against GLORIOUS NORDIC UNITY?

A threat to any Nordic country is a threat to every Nordic country. It's a consequence of the geographical realities of our little piece of the world. This is completely different from being forced to protect other countries' financial interests abroad, which is definitely something that would happen - protecting financial interests is what the European Union is all about, after all.
Love, scriver~

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: July 21, 2013, 12:25:42 pm »

So instead you would trade it for EU nukes (not that Britain or France would ever let go of their nukes anyway) and god awful militarism in the Union? That makes no sense.

I'd rather European than British militarism, though of course I'd rather not have any militarism at all.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: July 21, 2013, 04:32:17 pm »

I'd rather European than British militarism, though of course I'd rather not have any militarism at all.
Nah, the Germans are incredibly touchy when it comes to these matters - real European militarism won't be possible with the bureaucracy they'll insist upon.

A threat to any Nordic country is a threat to every Nordic country. It's a consequence of the geographical realities of our little piece of the world. This is completely different from being forced to protect other countries' financial interests abroad, which is definitely something that would happen - protecting financial interests is what the European Union is all about, after all.
And if someone marched to Berlin and Paris, you'd feel perfectly safe? Making the Union army a pure defense and peace keeping army is kind of a given. No Iraq war on this side of the pond!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 1393