Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745256 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #660 on: June 22, 2013, 12:22:34 pm »

Do you think we'll see many emerging new parties after the next election, Loud Whispers?
Probably not. Everything's so volatile these days, we'll probably see a fair bit of new parties that eventually fall out. It'd be interesting to see if the SNP, Plaid Cymru or UKIP get an increase in support. Only thing you can be certain of is the Lib Dems getting wrecked.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We had quite a few high profile cases about Immigrant child prostitution rings, human and drug trafficking as well as a history of gang culture which was made worse by all this. Tad bit unfair to just go full caps disregard.

It does sound a bit like babby's first totalitarianism, along with the human rights bit. Personally I do find our textbooks are already warped enough, so yes this is an issue. While the British Empire was the most humanitarian Empire of the big three, it does seem arseholish to just forget about the mistakes along the way.

Agreed.

Reform the BBC to end its left-wing multicultural bias.
Kick out broadcasters we don't like.
Nah, the BBC is publicly owned. So they only want to break one news station.

Ban the Islamic call to prayer and Islamic worship in public institutions and outdoor spaces.
Noisy as fuck, harsh on the ears and stakes a singular claim on what public land should be - indiscriminate towards everyone, not just in favour of Islam, or any religion for that matter.
Openly racist.
How?

And how is Islam a "non-traditional" religious institution?
Probably they mean specific to the UK, which would just get all sorts of fun in Ireland.

Demand that only English be spoken in public institutions and end public funding of translation services. Ensure that English is the first language taught in schools.
Standard populist bullshit.  How are we going to attract tourists and overseas investment if we're openly hostile to foreign languages?
They want the private sector to do that.

Celebrate only Christian and British festivals in public institutions; make the patron saints’ days in England, Scotland and Wales bank holidays.
I wouldn't mind additional bank holidays, particularly one celebrating a famous Palestinian hero.  Seems to contradict the first sentence though.
Would we be getting a net gain or loss of holidays with this?

02: Defence
This part doesn't really say much, other than standard anti-Europe stuff.  I did enjoy reading

Streamline MOD bureaucracy.
Even after they'd promised to set up several large bureaucratic institutions, though.  Also protectionism for some weird reason.
They're anti-war [where it suits them] but pro military.

It's not really saying too much.  I'd note it doesn't make a single mention of global warming or climate change though, so it's kindof ignoring the two main issues.  And again blaming all our problems on immigrants.
(i) minimising costs to maintain industrial competitiveness;
(ii) increasing energy security by reducing reliance on other countries;
(iii) controlling pollution, which impacts on nature and on human health.
Shit, there's a load of stuff they're doing wrong but you're not exactly actually addressing them for their actual points.

True.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 22, 2013, 12:23:59 pm »

Leafsnail, you are wrong.
With the influx came large numbers of foreign criminals; rapists, pimps, murderers, armed robbers, pickpockets, people traffickers, drug dealers, fraudsters and paedophile gangs were all welcomed by our politicians to come and prey upon us.
FOREIGNERS CAUSE ALL CRIME
No, it doesn't say that. It just says that criminals are not properly screened, and are openly encouraged in. Also it says how immigrants just clump together and become xenophobic to any other culture, which, oh, you ignored.
I'm going to assume you're playing devil's advocate, kingfisher, because you have prior to this seemed like a fairly alright guy, but i would have thought that sentence said all i needed to know about this party as a second generation immigrant.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:29:49 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 22, 2013, 12:27:11 pm »

Seems to me to be another right-of-Tory "BNP by another name" type group that have a poor grasp on the level of global connectedness that is essential for a small nation like the UK to prosper (just like UKIP), that want to drag the UK back by about 15 years. The centering of the Tories seems to allow groups like this to emerge.

Kingfisher, you make some fairly reasonable points, even if I dont agree with them. However, Islam is not a race.

This is a blank sig.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 22, 2013, 12:31:21 pm »

To give the mean his due, he said exactly what you said Monkeyhead, though it was in the context of the use of the word racism.
Reading a thinner book

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: June 22, 2013, 12:34:11 pm »

"Also it says how immigrants just clump together and become xenophobic to any other culture, which, oh, you ignored."

I'm going to assume you're playing devil's advocate, kingfisher, because you have prior to this seemed like a fairly alright guy, but i would have thought that sentence said all i needed to know about this party as a second generation immigrant.
Look, I have problems articulating my points. What I mean by that is, well, it really depends. In the majority of cases that's what happens. But that happens when you throw two wildly different cultures together. You get the slim minority who assimilate to the culture which they immigrated to, and then there is the majority who form those blocks. It's happening in my home country, Australia, it's happening in Britain, it's happening in Scandanavia. I'm not against all immigration. No, far from it. Just the excessive measures enacted in Britain and Australia. Similar cultures can get along very well, over here, we had a large amounts of Slavic, Italian and German immigrants who integrated beautifully. It's the Middle Eastern and African immigrants we're having troubles with. Basically my problem is with wildly different cultures getting thrown together.

And another problem I'm going to point out: The bipartisan nature of nearly all democracies in the world. In America, in Australia, in the UK. Pretty sure in most European nations too. The problem I find is that these fringe parties are never going to get votes and have radical change done because both major established parties don't want that to happen. So they can basically shut out these parties and they wil forever remain sideliners, never to gain seats.

Also: Yay, I'm making reasonable points. Maybe I won't get kicked out of this politics thread.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 22, 2013, 12:38:24 pm »

And another problem I'm going to point out: The bipartisan nature of nearly all democracies in the world. In America, in Australia, in the UK. Pretty sure in most European nations too.
One can only wish ;_;
The grey line is the Dutch version of UKIP. Blue and dotted red are the ruling parties.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 22, 2013, 12:42:20 pm »

And another problem I'm going to point out: The bipartisan nature of nearly all democracies in the world. In America, in Australia, in the UK. Pretty sure in most European nations too.
One can only wish ;_;
The grey line is the Dutch version of UKIP. Blue and dotted red are the ruling parties.
What is this UKIP everybody is getting their knickers in a twist about? I keep hearing about them.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 22, 2013, 12:46:34 pm »

They're afraid of immigrants, reason, muslims, tolerance, and the EU?

If not, than I need a different party to compare our shitty one with :P

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: June 22, 2013, 12:47:50 pm »

One can only wish ;_;
What is this UKIP everybody is getting their knickers in a twist about? I keep hearing about them.

UKIP - they appeal to those disenchanted by the Tories moving from right to centre right, and are ridiculed by left and left of centre people due to thier "almost racist" worldveiw.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #669 on: June 22, 2013, 12:49:53 pm »

Essentially, they are the party whose flag is a middle finger raised at the EU.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 22, 2013, 12:50:33 pm »

Essentially, they are the party whose flag is a middle finger raised at the EU.

Hell, even thier logo is a stylistic £ symbol.
This is a blank sig.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 22, 2013, 12:51:44 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukip#Policies

Yeah they're basically incredibly evil.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 22, 2013, 12:53:10 pm »

In Britain, from what I've observed cultural meshing works to the extent that I'm surprised, and probably a negative outlier. There's clustering in the cities as usual, but without looking at the figures, It appears to be becoming more common in the country from my own experience. I do wonder about how those growing up with our rhetoric will find the west's apathy/approach to the chunk of the world they hail from, and i think that may be more important then "culture".

Last i checked UKIP was down in the polls, but why do you think people are buying it?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 06:35:56 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 22, 2013, 12:53:36 pm »

One can only wish ;_;

UKIP - they appeal to those disenchanted by the Tories moving from right to centre right, and are ridiculed by left and left of centre people due to thier "almost racist" worldveiw.
I dunno, I'm reading that page and I'm thinking these guys are pretty good. Flat taxes, no inheritance tax, free dental and optical, immigration limiting, support of civil partnerships... No wonder they would get ridiculed. And I really don't see the problem in withdrawing from the EU.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #674 on: June 22, 2013, 12:59:45 pm »

I dunno, I'm reading that page and I'm thinking these guys are pretty good. Flat taxes, no inheritance tax, free dental and optical, immigration limiting, support of civil partnerships... No wonder they would get ridiculed. And I really don't see the problem in withdrawing from the EU.
DEBATE TIME GO GO GO

EU, good or bad?
Countries opinions:
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 1393