Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750431 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #9750 on: August 27, 2014, 05:08:09 pm »

I'm currently drunk on euphoria. And the #RussiainvadedUkraine hashtag is moving at the speed of light.
Confirmed. Russians Soviets are mad. War will come to your home Sergarr. There are no other way
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9751 on: August 27, 2014, 05:12:10 pm »

I live in a major transportation hub of 300 000 people housing two military bases (and a freaking ICBM silo in Soviet times, it was removed in the 90s, though), in a country which is allied with Russia and houses Russian military installations. Should things get really, really bad, my chances of survival are 0% - me, my family, and everyone I know IRL will get vaporized by American nukes in the first minutes of a full-scale war.
If it consoles you, I think I live close enough to an important American base, that will likely be a target for the Russian counterattack. So I and everyone I know IRL will get to enjoy annihilation shortly after you and your folks.

(That's what I meant above BTW, worrying about something like that is a point of view I can understand beyond all cultural or political or whatever differences.)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9752 on: August 27, 2014, 05:17:45 pm »

I live in a major transportation hub of 300 000 people housing two military bases (and a freaking ICBM silo in Soviet times, it was removed in the 90s, though), in a country which is allied with Russia and houses Russian military installations. Should things get really, really bad, my chances of survival are 0% - me, my family, and everyone I know IRL will get vaporized by American nukes in the first minutes of a full-scale war.
If it consoles you, I think I live close enough to an important American base, that will likely be a target for the Russian counterattack. So I and everyone I know IRL will get to enjoy annihilation shortly after you and your folks.

(That's what I meant above BTW, worrying about something like that is a point of view I can understand beyond all cultural or political or whatever differences.)
Worrying is generally caused by uncertainty. I don't worry about it much, because if shit hits the fan, my future is absolutely certain and pretty much unchangeable.

Didn't you? I distinctly remember Russian troops inside Georgian territory...
I also remember them leaving that territory after war. IIRC the Georgia has not been reduced in land (except for South Ossetia and Abhazia which were already separate).
So in fact Hitler clearly didn't invade the Soviet Union, because later on it even gained territory? My god, you are no dumb fellow - listen to yourself for just one second!

(Or if you're drunk right now, log out and come back when you're sober. I have that problem too sometimes, getting to worked up and everything.)
Oh. I haven't noticed the "Didn't you?" part before. Oh. Sorry. Yes, we did invade Georgia (as a part of our military operation). It's still a sovereign state with it's own policy, though, compared to Germany post-WW2.

I'm currently drunk on euphoria. And the #RussiainvadedUkraine hashtag is moving at the speed of light.

Seriously this shit is crack
I wouldn't be euphoric if I were you. I think it's just another incursion craze raised by the Ukrainian social media. We've had a lot of these in the recent months.
An invasion without air support is a shitty tactical move. Where's Su-27s securing air supremacy? Where's Su-25s bombing Ukrainian troops? Ukrainian aviation is still active in the area, you can't just waltz into the country without suppressing the hostile air force.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 05:24:54 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9753 on: August 27, 2014, 05:23:45 pm »

If nuclear shit hits the fan, I think it's pretty safe to say we're all fucked, no matter where we live.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9754 on: August 27, 2014, 05:25:46 pm »

I think Southern Hemisphere will be relatively fine after full-out nuclear war
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9755 on: August 27, 2014, 05:29:49 pm »

To be honest, I'd rather be gone quickly than live life in a fallout-contaminated nuclear desert.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9756 on: August 27, 2014, 05:49:16 pm »

I think Southern Hemisphere will be relatively fine after full-out nuclear war
No, radioactive dust travels on the wind. Everyone gets vaporized or become downwinders/dead downwinders.
The nuclear explosions produce a characteristic mushroom cloud, which moves downwind as it reaches its stabilization height. Dispersion of the radioactive elements causes vertical and lateral cloud movement, spreading radioactive materials over adjacent regions. While the large particles settle nearby the site of the detonation, smaller particles and gases may be dispersed around the world. Additionally, some explosions injected radioactive material into the stratosphere, more than 10 kilometers above ground-level, meaning it may float there for years before being subsequently deposited uniformly around the earth. Global fallout is the result, which exposes everything to an elevated level of man-made background radiation. While "downwinders" refers to those who live and work closest to the explosion site and are thus most acutely affected, there is a global effect of increased health risks due to ionizing radiation in the atmosphere.[6]
Fun movie!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9757 on: August 27, 2014, 05:53:05 pm »

Relatively fine = enough people will survive to keep the current civilization afloat.
Life expectancy can go back to medieval levels or even lower, but this is survivable...

Northern hemisphere will have no such luck

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9758 on: August 27, 2014, 05:55:02 pm »

-snip-
Aren't modern nuclear explosives supposed to produce much, much less fallout than older ones?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9759 on: August 27, 2014, 06:05:45 pm »

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:08:24 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9760 on: August 27, 2014, 06:26:27 pm »

Hm, googling it, seems like they can at the least be designed to limit radioactive fallout.

No idea if it's practical for an entire arsenal, let alone if anyone's taken such steps already.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9761 on: August 27, 2014, 06:36:11 pm »

Relatively fine = enough people will survive to keep the current civilization afloat.
Life expectancy can go back to medieval levels or even lower, but this is survivable...

Northern hemisphere will have no such luck

Medieval life expectancy was dragged down due to methodology. Specifically, really high infant mortality rates.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9762 on: August 28, 2014, 01:13:48 am »

The fallout from normal nuclear explosions is very small, compared to the Chernobyl. It's the thermonuclear explosions which can cause some major contamination of the area. Specifically, this is due to using U-238 as a part of their explosive and as a result getting only a part of it fully exploding, leaving a mess of partially-exploded atoms.

But I'm sure nobody would want to start a nuclear war over Ukraine, right?  ;D

EDIT: meanwhile it has been almost six hours since the supposed start of Russian invasion and I've not seen a single photo of Russian occupants in Novoazov, only words about them...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:33:07 am by Sergarr »
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9763 on: August 28, 2014, 01:33:15 am »

As if in case major nuclear war, Nuclear powerstations will stay intact.

Not sure that in this war with Russia Ukrainian nuclear powerstation will avoid destruction

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9764 on: August 28, 2014, 01:37:34 am »

hey, still better than the nineties

i heard from a kiev resident back in 2012 or so that they had to deploy the army because looting was so ridiculous

don't they still have only one power line going to crimea? well, i guess that's for the best now

not sure if that whole jig about people running off with a whole reactor core was bullshit or real either
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 1393