Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749990 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #9615 on: August 25, 2014, 04:57:57 pm »

More interesting: What will happen to those ten? Kiev kinda can't let them go without something happening to Crimea...

I'd go with inviting their relatives from Russia and giving prisoners back to their hands using that for a very wide press coverage
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9616 on: August 25, 2014, 04:59:18 pm »

What's the rest of that last sentence?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9617 on: August 25, 2014, 05:02:24 pm »

Well that's the second TV debate down in the Scottish Independence Referendum campaign. The first one, between Alistair Darling (figurehead of the Unionists) and Alex Salmond (leader of the Scottish Government) was won by Darling according to an ICM/Guardian poll, showing that 56% of a sample of 500 people thought he won compared with the 44% that thought Salmond won. On the basis of that poll the BBC reported quickly that Darling had narrowly won, while the biased press (by that I mean all Scottish newspapers bar one) heralded it as "Darling draws first blood" and stuff like that. You may recall how terrible I felt after that and I quickly conceded the referendum to the Unionists.

This latest debate was summed up by the BBC as one with "no clear winner", although "the supporters of Salmond will be the happier ones tonight". Commentary on national news described it as "rough" and "heated" and other nonsense, trying to portray it as one of those "more heat than light" debates they are so fond of complaining about. The Scotsman newspaper's editor claimed it was a "close draw".

The thing is, BBC, you terrible people, there was another poll after this debate just like the last one, by the same pollster. It showed that Alex Salmond won by 71% vs Darling's 29%. He had over 40% of the vote over Darling. Despite having sworn not to I actually caught the end of it when I was making a cup of tea. Salmond was on top form and effectively demolished Darling. In my eyes he was statesmanlike. Darling looked rattled, nervous and he was actually apologetic in his closing statement when he said "and yes, I know I did talk about currency again but etc" - he certainly did. He knew that currency was a winner in the first debate but he parroted the old lines and jibes all over again and made a fool of himself. He was a self parody.

As an aside, the sample of 500 people were also asked their voting intentions. 51% would vote No, 49% would vote Yes. I'm not going to crow about that, despite it being pretty damned good, because I know the sample is very small.

I think that regardless of how the referendum goes from here on out, tonight (and the newspaper headlines tomorrow and the days after) will be the best example of how the BBC and the majority of the Scottish press organisations are biased in favour of Unionism and the British State. If some blasted hack writing for the Scotsman or something tomorrow claims that Salmond "edged a victory" I will scream.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:05:17 pm by Owlbread »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9618 on: August 25, 2014, 05:06:00 pm »

Common Article 2 relating to International Armed Conflicts

This article states that the Geneva Conventions apply to all cases of international conflict, where at least one of the warring nations have ratified the Conventions. Primarily:

The Conventions apply to all cases of declared war between signatory nations. This is the original sense of applicability, which predates the 1949 version.
    The Conventions apply to all cases of armed conflict between two or more signatory nations, even in the absence of a declaration of war. This language was added in 1949 to accommodate situations that have all the characteristics of war without the existence of a formal declaration of war, such as a police action.[12]
    The Conventions apply to a signatory nation even if the opposing nation is not a signatory, but only if the opposing nation "accepts and applies the provisions" of the Conventions.[12]

Article 1 of Protocol I further clarifies that armed conflict against colonial domination and foreign occupation also qualifies as an international conflict.

When the criteria of international conflict have been met, the full protections of the Conventions are considered to apply.
That ougt to have some interesting implications for the Israeli-Palestine conflict - has Hamas accepted and applied the provisions of the conventions? :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9619 on: August 25, 2014, 05:10:20 pm »

This article states that the Geneva Conventions apply to all cases of international conflict, where at least one of the warring nations have ratified the Conventions. Primarily:

The Conventions apply to all cases of declared war between signatory nations. This is the original sense of applicability, which predates the 1949 version.
    The Conventions apply to all cases of armed conflict between two or more signatory nations, even in the absence of a declaration of war. This language was added in 1949 to accommodate situations that have all the characteristics of war without the existence of a formal declaration of war, such as a police action.[12]
    The Conventions apply to a signatory nation even if the opposing nation is not a signatory, but only if the opposing nation "accepts and applies the provisions" of the Conventions.[12]

Article 1 of Protocol I further clarifies that armed conflict against colonial domination and foreign occupation also qualifies as an international conflict.

When the criteria of international conflict have been met, the full protections of the Conventions are considered to apply.
That ougt to have some interesting implications for the Israeli-Palestine conflict - has Hamas accepted and applied the provisions of the conventions? :P

Doubt it, and besides, they've been breaking the Geneva Convention all over the place.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9620 on: August 25, 2014, 05:10:58 pm »

One could also quite legitimately ask if Israel is following them, too.

In any case, thanks for the info regarding the convention. The more you know... :)
This is a blank sig.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9621 on: August 25, 2014, 05:20:52 pm »

Dude, do you really enjoy doing this?
You have no idea how long I've waited for this.
._.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9622 on: August 25, 2014, 05:28:31 pm »

Well that's the second TV debate down in the Scottish Independence Referendum campaign. The first one, between Alistair Darling (figurehead of the Unionists) and Alex Salmond (leader of the Scottish Government) was won by Darling according to an ICM/Guardian poll, showing that 56% of a sample of 500 people thought he won compared with the 44% that thought Salmond won. On the basis of that poll the BBC reported quickly that Darling had narrowly won, while the biased press (by that I mean all Scottish newspapers bar one) heralded it as "Darling draws first blood" and stuff like that. You may recall how terrible I felt after that and I quickly conceded the referendum to the Unionists.

This latest debate was summed up by the BBC as one with "no clear winner", although "the supporters of Salmond will be the happier ones tonight". Commentary on national news described it as "rough" and "heated" and other nonsense, trying to portray it as one of those "more heat than light" debates they are so fond of complaining about. The Scotsman newspaper's editor claimed it was a "close draw".

The thing is, BBC, you terrible people, there was another poll after this debate just like the last one, by the same pollster. It showed that Alex Salmond won by 71% vs Darling's 29%. He had over 40% of the vote over Darling. Despite having sworn not to I actually caught the end of it when I was making a cup of tea. Salmond was on top form and effectively demolished Darling. In my eyes he was statesmanlike. Darling looked rattled, nervous and he was actually apologetic in his closing statement when he said "and yes, I know I did talk about currency again but etc" - he certainly did. He knew that currency was a winner in the first debate but he parroted the old lines and jibes all over again and made a fool of himself. He was a self parody.

As an aside, the sample of 500 people were also asked their voting intentions. 51% would vote No, 49% would vote Yes. I'm not going to crow about that, despite it being pretty damned good, because I know the sample is very small.

I think that regardless of how the referendum goes from here on out, tonight (and the newspaper headlines tomorrow and the days after) will be the best example of how the BBC and the majority of the Scottish press organisations are biased in favour of Unionism and the British State. If some blasted hack writing for the Scotsman or something tomorrow claims that Salmond "edged a victory" I will scream.

Owly old chap, I think you will find the BBC being very honest about tonights events, you cynic... :P

Initial factual analysis of statements
Live feed featuring key points/videos, not likley to be up for much longer. PLenty of interesting comments from both sides texted and tweeted in.
In depth analysis of individual exchanges.

All remarkably neutral to me, overall.
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9623 on: August 25, 2014, 05:31:18 pm »

You are right, Monkeyhead. I concede that the BBC, on those fronts at least, was neutral and informative. It's their talking heads and overall reporting lines on the rolling news that are getting to me.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:42:08 pm by Owlbread »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9624 on: August 25, 2014, 07:27:10 pm »

Yes, explicitly.

IMHO, that does not seem to explicitly fit the situation we are seeing.  Russia denies being in an armed conflict with Ukraine so those soldiers can't be seen as Russian participants in an armed conflict.  AFAIK, the Geneva convention extends no protected to clandestine agents operating in other nations and Ukraine would be free to execute them as spies (although they wont).
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9625 on: August 26, 2014, 12:26:02 am »

Dude, do you really enjoy doing this?
You have no idea how long I've waited for this.
Hangover will be nasty. You Russians are so delusional about the might of your  army. You closed your eyes and prefer to not see, that Putin wastes resources and lives for a war that can bring Russia nothing good.

Already hundreds  of Russian citizens became a fertilizer on Ukrainian soil. Not all of them were lucky enough to get a grave... Yet you don't care, you have a noble goal of becoming a "superpower"

I'd love to hate you, Sergarr... but can't. You are nothing but a stupid kid that thinks that war is a some kind of TV show happening in another reality
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9626 on: August 26, 2014, 12:34:01 am »

Hey, come on, no need to hate Sergarr for something his government is doing. You don't like Russia, okay fine, but no need to go and insult fellow forumers who happen to be Russian.

Though I do agree that most of the Russian populace is blind to the actual reality, propaganda and all that.

Also, I think you might be taking that quote out of context?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:53:50 am by smjjames »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9627 on: August 26, 2014, 03:07:19 am »

BTW, guys, how do you think what will Russia say about this captured guys....

I have several versions
a) Say nothing
b) Say that this guys are volunteers that served in Russian army long time ago
c) Announce that this guys are cowardly deserters and crossed into Ukraine without an order
d) Same as C, but they are ethnic Ukrainian Right Sector members who betrayed mother Russia
Ministry of Defense of Russia surprised me -

according to their version that paratroopers ACCIDENTALLY crossed Ukrainian border while paroling

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9628 on: August 26, 2014, 03:13:04 am »

My father defended the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan, and he knew that if he died, nobody would even acknowledge that he was there. But he did it anyway, and where he and his PBS squad defended the border, no weapon caravans would get through.

You think you know all about war, UR? You know nothing about what true war with Russia looks like.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9629 on: August 26, 2014, 03:32:57 am »

No, I don't know all about the war, I am not on the front. I know more than I want to. I know that I lost friends on this war

How war with Russia looks like you ask?  It is not hard to see, I read history

War with Russia = Hordes of Russian cannon fodder rotting in the fields.
War with Russia = Cities turned to rubble, because Russians are best at fighting civilians against an army you never reach something better than 5 to 1 in losses
War with Russia = Marauding and rapes of the scale no other army can manage

Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 1393