Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746067 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #7530 on: July 14, 2014, 12:02:13 pm »

CofE allowing women Bishops.

This is, absurdly enough, of government importance. The Church still has 26 Lords Spiritual in the House of Lords, made up of the most senior of the 44 bishops. As far as I can remember, these are the last governing positions in Parliament that were still restricted by sex. I mean, practically speaking they still will be all male for some time yet, but at least it's not an official restriction any more.

Oh, as a point of interest, the synod takes place at the University of York in central hall. That's that weird upside-down pyramid/UFO-esque building I posted a picture of a while ago. I was around campus for a couple of synods there, and if you think the building is absurd you should see it when there are a host of nuns and priests eating lunch on the steps. It was also a hellishly hot building during summer exams and graduation ceremonies, so I kinda feel for those who had to wear heavy church clothing during the debates.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7531 on: July 14, 2014, 12:05:04 pm »

Looks like the Luhansk rebels claimed responsibility for shooting it down. However, if the rebels actually are the ones who shot it down, that means two things, they either got ahold of some of Ukraines own missiles or someone gave it to them. Also, wouldn't they need access to radar or some other tracking system to actually target the plane? Which implies a good deal of sophisticated equipment.

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/luhansk-peoples-republic-claims-responsibility-for-shooting-down-goverment-airplane-355996.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ukraine-russian-rocket-may-have-downed-military-plane/

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: July 14, 2014, 12:07:06 pm »

The UK is one of two countries in the world with unelected clerics as part of their national legislature, along with Iran.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #7533 on: July 14, 2014, 12:07:26 pm »

And in other, less ground-shaking news:
Church of England General Synod backs women bishops

Though apparently they are lagging in this decision behind the likes of Canada, Australia and no other than America.

Huzzah for Church of England
fake edit: curse you, ninja-palsch.

And some news from Balkans, because why not:
Political novice Miro Cerar wins Slovenia election

You can skip the whole text because the real gem is at the end:
A former prime minister, Janez Jansa, began serving a two-year jail term for bribery last month. His centre-right Slovenian Democratic Party (SDS) got 21%, but disputed the election result.
why do you even

wat
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: July 14, 2014, 12:20:06 pm »

This is a case of the European and MidEast topics crossing over and I'm not even sure which one to post in, so I'm posting in both. Though the MidEast topic is probably more relevant.

I saw it on CNN, but citing it with other news sources.

Apparently some synagogues in Paris were mobbed during some anti-israel (or pro-palestinan, depending on how you spin it) protests.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics/two-synagogues-attacked-paris-during-recent-anti-israel-protests

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/israelgaza-conflict-synagogues-attacked-as-propalestinian-protest-in-paris-turns-violent-9604254.html

(general google news linkage for your perusal) https://news.google.com/news?ncl=dfQuBznsGpiIhYMGKwtfxbMcNxTQM&q=france+protest&lr=English&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ARDEU4fgAc-pyAS674Ao&ved=0CCoQqgIwAA

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: July 14, 2014, 12:29:58 pm »

The UK is one of two countries in the world with unelected clerics as part of their national legislature, along with Iran.

Well, there's always the Vatican.

Though apparently they are lagging in this decision behind the likes of Canada, Australia and no other than America.
It's a bit complicated.

The Church of England is basically the originator and largest section of the Anglican denomination. However, different branches of the wider church have significant autonomy, in contrast to Catholicism. Right now Anglicanism in most of the English speaking world is a rather liberal denomination, which is reflected in their practices. However, once you get into the other major branches (notably the African churches) it turns considerably more conservative, especially on the Big Questions around women and homosexuality. The CofE has basically tried to split the difference to try to avoid too many churches splintering off into other denominations.

Within the Church of England itself you still have divisions, with the mainstream (liberals or broad church group) being pulled around by the low and high church factions. Low church (Evangelicals) groups traditionally put more emphasis on the Protestant tradition, and more recently include a lot of North American style conservatives and ideas. High church (Anglo-Catholic) groups put more emphasis on Catholic traditions. Needless to say, both of these factions can be resistant to liberalisation moves.

It's also important to note that the CofE is essentially the default religion in the UK, so it's hard to say what the views of its followers are. The committed, active members might hold very different views of the majority of those only vaguely aligned. Add into this its close entanglement with the (generally socially liberal) government and you have a very confused institution.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: July 14, 2014, 01:01:58 pm »

This is, absurdly enough, of government importance. The Church still has 26 Lords Spiritual in the House of Lords, made up of the most senior of the 44 bishops.

Implying that the house of lords is of importance to the government, or indeed anyone.

Sorry I can't resist digs at the house of lords.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: July 14, 2014, 01:04:00 pm »

I have recently discovered this man's videos. "The Weekly Review" of independence-related matters by Stephen Paton, an activist for Yes Scotland. He basically summarises independence news from a pro-Yes perspective. His videos are quite accessible.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:07:36 pm by Owlbread »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #7538 on: July 14, 2014, 01:26:31 pm »

It's a bit complicated.

The Church of England is basically the originator and largest section of the Anglican denomination. However, different branches of the wider church have significant autonomy, in contrast to Catholicism. Right now Anglicanism in most of the English speaking world is a rather liberal denomination, which is reflected in their practices. However, once you get into the other major branches (notably the African churches) it turns considerably more conservative, especially on the Big Questions around women and homosexuality. The CofE has basically tried to split the difference to try to avoid too many churches splintering off into other denominations.

Within the Church of England itself you still have divisions, with the mainstream (liberals or broad church group) being pulled around by the low and high church factions. Low church (Evangelicals) groups traditionally put more emphasis on the Protestant tradition, and more recently include a lot of North American style conservatives and ideas. High church (Anglo-Catholic) groups put more emphasis on Catholic traditions. Needless to say, both of these factions can be resistant to liberalisation moves.

It's also important to note that the CofE is essentially the default religion in the UK, so it's hard to say what the views of its followers are. The committed, active members might hold very different views of the majority of those only vaguely aligned. Add into this its close entanglement with the (generally socially liberal) government and you have a very confused institution.
Ah, quite interesting. Thanks for the info!
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: July 14, 2014, 01:36:32 pm »

This is a case of the European and MidEast topics crossing over and I'm not even sure which one to post in, so I'm posting in both. Though the MidEast topic is probably more relevant.

I saw it on CNN, but citing it with other news sources.

Apparently some synagogues in Paris were mobbed during some anti-israel (or pro-palestinan, depending on how you spin it) protests.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics/two-synagogues-attacked-paris-during-recent-anti-israel-protests

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/israelgaza-conflict-synagogues-attacked-as-propalestinian-protest-in-paris-turns-violent-9604254.html

(general google news linkage for your perusal) https://news.google.com/news?ncl=dfQuBznsGpiIhYMGKwtfxbMcNxTQM&q=france+protest&lr=English&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ARDEU4fgAc-pyAS674Ao&ved=0CCoQqgIwAA

i've yet to see a Mideast topic but since i'm fairly new to this corner of B12 i might be mistaken.

Oddly enough Israel gives less then a shit for what happens outside of Israel. and i should know, i live in this stinkhole. 

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: July 14, 2014, 02:30:37 pm »

By mideast topic thread, I meant this one.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: July 14, 2014, 04:22:44 pm »

Ukrainians know the art of flooding

Hundreds id not thousands of "Danke, Frau Ribbentrop!" in Merkel's facebook proves that

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: July 14, 2014, 04:57:09 pm »

What did she do?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7543 on: July 14, 2014, 04:58:31 pm »

couple pages back there was a pic of her talking with putin

doing literally anything with putin means being his ally nowadays

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7544 on: July 14, 2014, 05:08:29 pm »

Her chatting with Putin is meh, but the spam is reaction on that:

http://www.dw.de/putin-and-merkel-direct-negotiations-necessary/av-17783093

Negotiations with that scum is a very unpopular idea in Ukraine. It is exactly the same if someone suggested Americans to have direct negotiations with Bin Laden.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 1393