Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745137 times)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #675 on: June 22, 2013, 01:02:22 pm »

I dunno, I'm reading that page and I'm thinking these guys are pretty good. Flat taxes, no inheritance tax, free dental and optical, immigration limiting, support of civil partnerships... No wonder they would get ridiculed. And I really don't see the problem in withdrawing from the EU.
DEBATE TIME GO GO GO

EU, good or bad?
Countries opinions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think Britain wants to leave the EU a lot because, well, it was an Empire for hundreds of years, and the EU really chains it down. Other than that? I don't know. That whole free movement thing is neato.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 22, 2013, 01:08:02 pm »

Heh, no. The UK is one of the countries that practically get away with whatever they want.

Also, that new party sounds exactly like the Hungarian Nazi Party.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #677 on: June 22, 2013, 01:09:59 pm »

I think Britain wants to leave the EU a lot because, well, it was an Empire for hundreds of years, and the EU really chains it down. Other than that? I don't know. That whole free movement thing is neato.
Little to do with the Empire, that's a relic. You'll find that in the large cities like London that benefit from the increased business, most wish to remain in the EU whilst more out where smaller businesses are growing, more want to leave the regulations of EU law.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 22, 2013, 01:14:33 pm »

Heh, no. The UK is one of the countries that practically get away with whatever they want.

More baseless Nazi screaming.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 22, 2013, 01:16:33 pm »

I think that there is a certain amout if "its thier fault" with fingers pointing at the EU from lots of people regarding the state of the UK's economy, when the causes are far wider ranging and complex than just the influence of the EU. I for one am of the opinion we get a lot more out of the EU than we put in, and would be hung out to dry if we left it.
This is a blank sig.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 22, 2013, 01:37:11 pm »

More baseless Nazi screaming.

You would probably to better looking up the Hungarian Nazis rather than turtle up.
Love, scriver~

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 22, 2013, 01:39:32 pm »

If you can't see why specifically banning Islamic cultural practices is racist and if you're totally unable to recognize even the most basic dogwhistle then there isn't much point in engaging with you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #682 on: June 22, 2013, 01:45:14 pm »

If you can't see why specifically banning Islamic cultural practices is racist and if you're totally unable to recognize even the most basic dogwhistle then there isn't much point in engaging with you.
On public grounds, which shouldn't exclusively uphold a single faith? And racism fits somewhere in there?
If faith is grounds of racism, then Islam is racist for denying every non-Muslim access to mecca.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 22, 2013, 02:27:02 pm »

On public grounds, which shouldn't exclusively uphold a single faith? And racism fits somewhere in there?
If faith is grounds of racism, then Islam is racist for denying every non-Muslim access to mecca.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #684 on: June 22, 2013, 02:32:58 pm »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 22, 2013, 02:36:52 pm »

Did they specifically say every faith?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #686 on: June 22, 2013, 02:44:09 pm »

Did they specifically say every faith?
I'm questioning why opposing Islamification is racist.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 22, 2013, 02:45:48 pm »

Sounds like these guys are just what the UK needs. Shame that likely they'll go the way of every democracy ever and get 0.000000001% of the vote.
You think they will get 0.00063181775 votes? Harsh. I figured at least the guy in the video would vote for them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 22, 2013, 02:48:35 pm »

I often think that "British" nationalism is often just a kind of confused English nationalism in disguise, with a few hangers on in the provinces that take it literally. It becomes far-right and rather "ethnic" in appearance because of the nature of English people in relation to the immigrant population in England more than anything else; if a Jamaican or Polish or Pakistani person came to England, most of the time they would see themselves as British rather than English (at least according to census data I have seen). To be English nowadays has become an ethnic thing rather than a geographical one.

I still think the remedy for it is to give England a devolved parliament, give them a distinct national anthem (Jerusalem is my own suggestion, despite the fact that I disagree with most of its sentiments) and be more vocal in government/parliament when talking about "English" stuff in relation to England rather than just Britain. That might help to create a more inclusive environment where even Poles, Chinese and Sikhs from Punjab consider themselves English. It would take decades, but it would take the steam out of the BNP and UKIP's movements.

If you doubt my suggestion that most British nationalists are actually English nationalists in disguise - take a gander at the comments section in that video. Look at them.

oh britain what has happened we was a great country now were a country of layabouts and do nothings, are roads are shit, healthcare is shit and much more, i risked my life in the army protecting a country i thought was great and amazing but as ive grown i think otherwise

Sang this last night at a Prom and felt immensely proud to be British, today I'll walk through my town past the numerous Polish and Latvian supermarkets and probably not hear a single British accent.

Interesting that they'd talk about "British" accents and how proud they were to be British (at the expense of Poles and Latvians) when that is probably the single most English song and video combination they could be watching.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:54:01 pm by Owlbread »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #689 on: June 22, 2013, 03:05:43 pm »

Owlbread, I think you're onto something here.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 1393