Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745958 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6255 on: June 04, 2014, 11:27:29 am »

The thing is, the whole monarchy as an institution undermines the notion of an egalitarian society: there's an institutional expectation to defer to someone just in virtue of their birth and that subtly undermines the whole political discourse.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: June 04, 2014, 11:27:52 am »

The Spanish monarchy isn't much more than a figurehead thing anyway.

Do you know how much does the goverment spend in the Spanish monarchy? No? Don't worry. Nobody else knows either. By combining financial obscurantism with a habit of giving them exclusive use of supposedly "public" properties (including, but not limited to, the king's yatch).
They're an expensive, meddling, Francoist fossile. The sooner they go the better.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: June 04, 2014, 11:30:58 am »

Instead of being the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland it would be the United Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Or, according to Tony Benn's vision, it would be the Commonwealth of Britain. I endorse this option, hence I would seek a Commonwealth of Scotland (Common Weal o Scotland/Co-fhlaitheas na h-Alba respectively) rather than a Republic of Scotland.
What's the difference between the Commonwealth of Scotland and the Republic of Scotland?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: June 04, 2014, 11:43:26 am »

What's the difference between the Commonwealth of Scotland and the Republic of Scotland?

This is an idiomatic definition, but I would define "Commonwealth" as a state or political entity created specifically for the benefit of the people. It would serve to remind our future governments that their very purpose is to work for the common good/wealth of the nation. The etymology of Republic on the other hand is far blander, literally meaning "entity/concern of the people".
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:45:21 am by Owlbread »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: June 04, 2014, 11:44:49 am »

If UK becomes a republic, Ukrainian Ranger would need to change his name too, to avoid confusion.

Darn.  Whelp, guess they'll have to keep the monarchy.  :-\
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: June 04, 2014, 11:51:53 am »

I like how they use Babar as a symbol. Fitting. I'm definitely in favour of abolishing monarchies: hopefully when Charles takes the throne he'll be so unpopular that the republican cause here will be bolstered. Don't hold much hope though: they'd have to change the name of the country and everything...
Thing is nobody is too bothered about the monarchy.
Like there's teaboos all around the world who fantasise over them but here? You only really get anything but apathy from raging nationalists and people who want to get rid of them. Like with the EU.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: June 04, 2014, 12:08:45 pm »

... would anyone actually give a damn if the UK lost the monarchy and stayed UK? I can only imagine complaints about it not being a kingdom would be met with a resounding, "And?" If anyone's ever really cared about what ~arbitrary geographic boundaries~ are called I've never met enough of them to think they matter.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: June 04, 2014, 12:32:32 pm »

*Shrugs*

The monarchy is pretty advantageous, and it's a patriotic thing.

[/shrug]
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: June 04, 2014, 12:38:16 pm »

... would anyone actually give a damn if the UK lost the monarchy and stayed UK? I can only imagine complaints about it not being a kingdom would be met with a resounding, "And?" If anyone's ever really cared about what ~arbitrary geographic boundaries~ are called I've never met enough of them to think they matter.

the stability of the english monarchy (or british at the time) gave the world the industrial revolution

don't fuck with it

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: June 04, 2014, 12:44:33 pm »

Man, so did child labor and deadly work conditions but we've been trying pretty hard to fuck those for a while now. Don't see why monarchy couldn't get in line, or why the UK couldn't stay the UK even if it ditched the crown.
Ask not!
Ask!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: June 04, 2014, 12:46:54 pm »

i would argue that fucking child labor is in a way the inverse of what we have ever planned but that's just me being a fuckass and picking words in a low-context medium

and the uk couldn't stay the uk if it kept the crown or lost it

because you know

united kingdom

kingdoms of england and scotland

owlbread

and the kingdom part of the country's name really

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6266 on: June 04, 2014, 12:51:53 pm »

Man, so did child labor and deadly work conditions but we've been trying pretty hard to fuck those for a while now. Don't see why monarchy couldn't get in line, or why the UK couldn't stay the UK even if it ditched the crown.
That sounds a little like a false equivalency dude...
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: June 04, 2014, 12:54:40 pm »

Point being made: No one* would actually care if the UK consisted of nothing but a communist Sussex and still called itself UK. Whether it's a monarchy or not has zero influence on whether people call it a kingdom. People call it a kingdom because they've been calling it a kingdom, and no one* really cares beyond that.

I really don't care about the monarchy either way. I'm just objecting to the objection it would require a name change if the UK got rid of it.

*Read more clearly: Not enough to make a difference.

That sounds a little like a false equivalency dude...
Talk to LSP, not me. I'm not the one that made the comparison :P Lot of stuff gave the world the industrial revolution, plenty of it quite nasty.

E: More explicitly: Something's contribution, no matter how large, to the industrial revolution is no good reason to consider it inviolate.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:57:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: June 04, 2014, 01:00:16 pm »

The Belgian king *technically* has the ability to not sign a law passed by the Parliament, but that makes them not-king. (Happened in 1990, when Boudewijn refused to sign an abortus law)

But if that were to happen today, Bart De Wever would probably strangle the entire royal family with his bare hands.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: June 04, 2014, 01:05:45 pm »

The Belgian pretender *technically* has the ability to not sign a law passed by the Parliament, but that makes them not-king. (Happened in 1990, when Boudewijn refused to sign an abortus law)

But if that were to happen today, Bart De Wever would probably strangle the entire royal family with his bare hands.
ftfy
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 1393