Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745541 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5025 on: May 04, 2014, 05:08:02 pm »

Ah, I can almost smell the bait!

There are very few people who realistically doubt that Adams was in the, to use the colloquialism, Ra.

And I prefer murderers in jail, not politics.

Oh, and also, he was never going to be kept in.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: May 04, 2014, 05:09:25 pm »

Ra?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: May 04, 2014, 05:12:14 pm »

Haha.  :)

No, it's a shortened form of IRA commonly bandied about-"Up the Ra!" or, maybe a better way of writing it, "Up the Rah!"
I think the opposing term for the UVF is "Up the oof"
I don't mind at all. Scum should be painted with the same brush, and go to the same place.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: May 04, 2014, 05:13:22 pm »

No bait from me my good sir, it's an honest discussion. I have practically no opinion on Adams other than the fact that I think he's paradoxically both the problem with Irish Republicanism in Ireland and their only possible option. He must be replaced because he is a liability and a careerist, but there is nobody to replace him.

There are very few people who realistically doubt that Adams was in the, to use the colloquialism, Ra.

Gerry Adams denying that he was in the 'RA is pretty hilarious. I always wonder why he didn't just come clean with it during the peace process - Martin McGuinness was always open about his former membership of the IRA.

And I prefer murderers in jail, not politics.

Well, we'll wait until he's prosecuted before we judge that, shalln't we?

Oh, and also, he was never going to be kept in.

They did "arrest" him though.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: May 04, 2014, 05:22:28 pm »

No bait from me my good sir, it's an honest discussion. I have practically no opinion on Adams other than the fact that I think he's paradoxically both the problem with Irish Republicanism in Ireland and their only possible option. He must be replaced because he is a liability and a careerist, but there is nobody to replace him.

I wasn't referring to a "rage bait," as it were, but "Discussion bait." And yes, despise his guts and policies, but there is no doubt they're intelligent and political. But I don't know what would compel you to vote a paramilitary into parliament, no matter their political stamina.

Well, we'll wait until he's prosecuted before we judge that, shalln't we?
I was making a generalisation, is there somewhere else you would prefer a murderer?

They did "arrest" him though.
Ah yes. So they did. And I'm sure they're walking on eggshells around him.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: May 04, 2014, 05:26:34 pm »

Well, I'd rather have the militias into politics that fighting it out in the streets.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: May 04, 2014, 05:29:50 pm »

Of course, but nor is politics ideal. Nor...suitable. I envisage somewhere where they pay for sin, not sit in government.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: May 04, 2014, 05:31:26 pm »

The issue is that when you're trying to negotiate for the militias to stop the violence, promise of political jobs will work better than promises of retribution.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: May 04, 2014, 05:45:18 pm »

There have also been a number of good men that come from paramilitary backgrounds. I strongly admire the late David Ervine, former leader of the Progressive Unionist Party and former member of the UVF.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: May 04, 2014, 06:02:35 pm »

That you find good men almost anywhere is true. You find good men committing murder. This doesn't mean their punishment should be any less. And yes, it was beneficial to the peace process, I'm sure. But if the question is what you'd rather have, it would be them imprisoned. Or, if they do get such an incentive, for the ordinary people to have no desire to vote for them.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: May 05, 2014, 09:40:23 am »

Yes, maybe blasphemous on a European Politics thread, but the sooner we're outta the EU, the better!

Let the games begin!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5037 on: May 05, 2014, 09:50:16 am »

Yes, maybe blasphemous on a European Politics thread, but the sooner we're outta the EU, the better!

Let the games begin!
EU politics are better between individual sovereign states than just one shitty blob, otherwise it'd be about as entertaining as US politics with all its accompanying flaws and more. In regards to blasphemy, it's tempting to bring up Europe's habit of turning blasphemies into new religions - but I must stress that this is the European politics thread, not the European UnionTM politics thread. The latter is a subject within the former.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: May 05, 2014, 09:51:37 am »

So, which way would you go on a Scottish-esque in-out deal?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5039 on: May 05, 2014, 10:08:40 am »

So, which way would you go on a Scottish-esque in-out deal?
I'd agree with Scottish independence more if they didn't just want independence from a distant and outsider government only to give away control to an even more distant and even more foreign government. Independence isn't freedom if it isn't free. There are the arguments about who's better off and all that, my biggest hope is that a hypothetical Scottish independence could usher in a revival of North England industry and then we could see some competition between Scotland and the UK... But it'd all be a bit sadder really. Part of the British Isle's charm is that it's always been united against the continent, it'd be interesting to see if that holds up. Again, I also always keep bringing up the matters of security, only highlighted by the Russian jets flying near British airspace, or the Russian bases being built in Argentinia. That is an area in which there is without a doubt the fact that the UK is better off united. In an EU referendum I'd vote out. There's really no purpose to a political union that's supposed to be an economic one that only serves to drain countries of their wealth and move on to more. I'm also particularly wary of the EU's clamping down on the freedom of information, the UK's bad enough at this as is, it doesn't need the EU's help in slaughtering the free flow of information by NORPs, and we certainly don't need even less democratic control over increasingly larger governments.
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 1393