Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745847 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #495 on: May 22, 2013, 03:12:00 pm »

Why would they want to stop radicalism anyway? It's the reason they exist.

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 22, 2013, 03:14:12 pm »

Why would they want to stop radicalism anyway? It's the reason they exist.

My point exactly. But a majority of people will not remember that when they hear about something like this. I already know I'll be swearing like a pirate when I read domestic political blogs tomorrow.
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #497 on: May 22, 2013, 03:16:22 pm »

Solution:

remove hour of religion in school.
Replace with hour of critical thinking.
Rinse and repeat.
Force participation into cultural exchange programs.
Force reading of books that both depict Hate for a religion and Love for a religion. Repeat for all religions.
Force children to talk among themselves, rather than with their parents.
If parents refuse, shoot the parent. Extremists should be Extremely purged.
Let the child develop his own critical thought.

That was my thought on the matter actually. I understand the 'nearly last point' might seem bad...but in the end, extremism must be removed, right?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 22, 2013, 03:20:10 pm »

I understand the 'nearly last point' might seem bad...but in the end, extremism must be removed, right?
Via extremism? No, because then nothing has changed. And killing a kid's parents might just drive them... extreme.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 22, 2013, 03:23:14 pm »

remove hour of religion in school.
Replace with hour of critical thinking.
Ideally, that is already the case. At least, that's what we learned in religion. Amongst other interesting things, a basis of all other religions, and some standard school stuff.

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 22, 2013, 03:31:10 pm »

Frankly I think that from a sociological point of view, religion serves as just one kind of a group identity generator. People need to feel they are part of a group on some level and if they feel that they themselves or others in the group are being mistreated, they will lash out in the name of said group. Fostering critical thinking skills or plain atheism will not take that away, some of the most vicious terrorists in history such as the Russian Nihilists and the Bader-Meinhof were ferociously atheist and very critical and nonconforming in their thinking. Granted, some religions and ideologies direct their followers more readily towards violence than others but I'd still argue that they are catalysts, not underlying causes.
- Tacitus

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 23, 2013, 03:35:34 am »

Just saw this on the Nightly News here...
Watching it all I could think was...
"Cowards"

The Suspect seen in the video claims that he was doing this as an act of war if I remember correctly. The he wanted to start a war due to how his beliefs are seen and responded against...

1: No man would start a war that he knows he can neither win or outlast. To start a war without assurance of success or life afterwards is a foolhardy act that only will lead to both your own personal downfall and everything you started it over...

2: Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, requires Violence. Even if this was at 1/100th of the extremity, no belief or action or anything needs an Act of Violence to prove. To Target someone for how they look, how they speak, who they socialize with or even where their faith is, is nothing but an act of cowardice...

3: To defend your beliefs by attacking anothers', no good has ever come from it. Countless wars started due to this which in the end No one won. Sure there were the survivors and those that surrender/defeated which ended it. But at the cost of what? Too much...

Humans are a petty animal. We fear one another and lash out at anything even remotely different about someone else. We are all the same in construction, the only difference is how you see things. This is truly the only difference between Humans and until we realize that we are the same in all things Material, nothing will ever change...

Man will hate Man, Man will kill Man, Blood is shed and tears will fall. All things remain the same and nothing will change...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 23, 2013, 05:12:45 am »

And if this whole episode thus far has pushed you just to the edge of loosing your faith in humanity, this should just ease you over the cliff...
- Tacitus

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 23, 2013, 06:43:13 am »

I think when people were confusing the Czech Republic with Chechnya I lost faith in humanity, so right now I'm just operating on a Dwarven "doesn't care about anything anymore" sort of mindset.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 23, 2013, 06:44:33 am »

I think when people were confusing the Czech Republic with Chechnya I lost faith in humanity, so right now I'm just operating on a Dwarven "doesn't care about anything anymore" sort of mindset.
Ah another joins me on that mindset...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 23, 2013, 06:57:35 am »

Internet. Number one cause of stupidity since 1998.
Love, scriver~

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 23, 2013, 09:14:54 am »

Internet. Number one cause of stupidity since 1998.

More like tabloid newspapers and television, but there you go.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 23, 2013, 10:19:16 am »

There is a problem in the perception of terrorism. Most terrorism isn't islamic (at least in the West). But you wouldn't know that from the media.

For starters, much more attention is paid to Islamic terrorism than to other form of mass murders. Just look how Boston was locked up for days after an attack that killed 3, and compare to the reaction to the regular gun massacre.

Also, since we all know plenty of white but generally fewer Arabs/Muslims, we tend to excuse white terrorists. People like Breivik are written off as loony psychopath, while Muslim terrorists are depicted a sane but dangerous individuals.

Third, the same acts is often describe as terrorism when done by Muslims but not when done by white. A Palestinian killing a settler is a terrorist, but a settler killing a Palestinian is a mere murderer. The Fort Hood shooting has been called an act of terror, but how many shooting by whites have been called so?

Fourthly, no media attention is paid to the "good" muslims. Here in Belgium, we had a group called Sharia4Belgium that gathered a lot of media attention and prompted a lot of anti-Muslim ranting. But no one ever said that the first people to call attention and sue Sharia4Belgium were a progressive Muslim group. I only know it because I know someone who know someone from that group. Not only are most muslim non terrorrist, but the first line of defense against muslim extremists is actually made up of other muslims, because they're the one in the communities. Same when a terrorist network is destroyed by the police, the informants are also Muslims.

Finally, much more attention is paid to Islamic terrorism than to other terrorists. That's why the US focus so much attention on Muslims and so few on right-wing terror group, despite Muslims only accounting for 6% of acts of terror (That's less than Jewish terrorism. When was the last time you've heard of a Jewish terorrist network?). It's even worse in Europe, where Muslim account for a whooping 0.6% of Terrorist attacks (although a larger share of death from terrorists).

Back in 2008 for exemple, Islamist commited exactly as many terrorists attacks as the feard Comité d'Action Viticole, a french group looking to ban wine imports.

Sorry for the rant, I realize this isn't well-written, but I think most of the arguments are there.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #509 on: May 23, 2013, 11:27:59 am »

Yeah, that nips in the bud what I've said.
Being a (unfortunately) largely reliable on television for information, and what the internet passes off, one looks at the media and sees only that 'Muslim=evil guy'
And reading the newspaper has either the same or worse things.
The fact that (generally) muslims are portrayed as 'non-humoristic' makes it just worse.
The 'common idea' is that while you can portray Jesus as a drunkard in a disco without risking your life, you can't do the same with the Prophet else you get life-threatening menaces.
Which once more worsens the situation.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 1393