Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752472 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4665 on: April 11, 2014, 03:09:34 pm »

It won't be enforced by law, but copyright holders will be allowed to sue.
But first they have to catch you downloading something, which can be avoided with some care.
And a number of home defences.
Such as robots with lasers.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: April 12, 2014, 02:25:06 pm »

But first they have to catch you downloading something, which can be avoided with some care.
And a moat. Every house should have a moat.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: April 12, 2014, 03:37:01 pm »

Filled with magma. Or carps, if magma is illegal where you live.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: April 13, 2014, 08:28:25 am »

Filled with magma. Or carps, if magma is illegal where you live.
Molten zinc.
Hydrogen fluoride, maybe? That shit's nasty.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: April 13, 2014, 08:35:03 am »

So it was the SNP's party conference a day or two ago. The SNP reiterated their stance that getting rid of nuclear weapons is a reason for independence and will never become a bargaining chip in future negotiations with the British government.

Would anyone like to see how The Scotsman newspaper (one of the most widely circulated in Scotland) reported the conference in their big Sunday paper, after the conference was over and it was time for assessments?

The headline their chief political editor, Kenny Farquharson, chooses is about Nigel Farage whose party has lost their deposit every time they've stood in Scotland, apart from in Euro elections. I'm not even going to give that disgraceful photograph a mention.

The other journalists (there's about 6 big names and they all know each-other) were reporting about football fans protesting outside the conference at some kind of sectarian law and how much the SNP delegates cheered when a visiting poet/playwright made a few digs at the royal family on the stage. That's apparently important because the SNP are Monarchist on paper. You can see the priorities of our press.

You should have seen guys like Kenny when Labour were having their conference. That smug little self-important swine was absolutely creaming himself over the prospect of Labour's devolution proposals, then when they finally came they were so awful he spent the next few days analysing them (a good start, he said, meaning he was disappointed) then he spent days trying to debate with Labour politicians about the proposal's shortcomings.

For the SNP conference he spent the whole time talking about how Alex Salmond didn't read his speech as well as he normally does and casting up stuff about the SNP's conference tribute to Margo MacDonald, a very famous ex-SNP independent politician who died last week. He was talking about how they expelled her and shit;

Quote from: Kenny Farquharson
Those of us who remember the vicious SNP leadership briefings against Margo are bemused by the #snp14 platform Margolove.

I feel like we're fighting against a brick wall, I really do. Right now he's complaining about how pro-Yes activists are so down on Farage and the Tories.

Quote from: Kenny Farquharson
What a curious view of an inclusive Scotland some Yes folk have: "no place in Scotland for Farage", even though his party currently /

/ outpolling Lib Dems and Greens in Scotland; the yearning for Scotland as "a Tory-free zone", even though more than 400,000 Scots voted /

/ Tory in 2010, just short if the SNP tally; the squeamishness about English "colonists", especially in the arts; the appetite for some /

/ newspapers and journalists to meet their demise after Indy. Disnae seem very inclusive to me. Thankfully most senior SNP folk are /

/ appalled at this. The civic nature of our nationalist party is one of Scotland's greatest achievements. But the #indyref has been an /

/ eye-opener about some of the camp followers.

That little bit about the newspapers and journalists is a reference to the comments made by my fellow pro-Yes activists where they regularly wish the Scotsman and Kenny will go up in smoke one day. I certainly do. I really, really do.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 08:48:32 am by Owlbread »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: April 13, 2014, 08:43:58 am »

So, the SNP wants to set up the Scottish royalty? Only problem I see with that is that Scotlands royal line merged with Englands centuries ago.

You were talking about how the SNP are monarchists and what with Scotland having that vote to seceede.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: April 13, 2014, 08:47:20 am »

They'll get Miss Piggy, obviously.

Or you could once again import a German king... *waggles eyebrows*
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:22:47 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: April 13, 2014, 08:49:06 am »

They'll get Miss Piggy, obviously.

Or you could oncce again import a German king... *waggles eyebrows*

Except the German royalty is dead. Well, not DEAD dead, I'm sure their descendants are still around.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: April 13, 2014, 08:51:36 am »

So, the SNP wants to set up the Scottish royalty? Only problem I see with that is that Scotlands royal line merged with Englands centuries ago.

You were talking about how the SNP are monarchists and what with Scotland having that vote to seceede.

The SNP are going to retain the British Monarchy like all the other Commonwealth countries that retain the Queen as their head of state.

Or you could oncce again import a German king... *waggles eyebrows*

There is a nice old man in Bavaria right now who is the current pretender to the Scottish throne (specifically the Stuarts) but we won't bring him in because whenever you actually try to fiddle with the Monarchy people realise how stupid the whole thing is.

The vast majority of the SNP's members and even leadership are Republicans. The problem is that the majority of Scots, for some reason, are not. We're more Republican than the English, that's for certain, but seemingly Scots are so fearful of change the majority of us are still opposed. That will come one day though I am certain. The young blood is all Republican, regardless of the party (apart from the Conservatives perhaps).

Part of me would like the Stuart King to be reinstated in his rightful position as our Head of State. For approximately one minute.

Then he would have his title ceremonially stripped away from him, his crown melted and given to cancer research or something as punishment to the Stuart Dynasty for all the misery they've caused in this land with their hair-brained schemes and wild ambitious failures, for getting us into the Union in the first place and for causing the Jacobite rebellions that led to the British crackdown on Gaelic and near genocide of Highland people. All for their own vanity and lust for power.

Scotland would do well without Kings. Without yon birkie ca'd a Lord, wha struts an' stares an' aw that.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:08:49 am by Owlbread »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: April 13, 2014, 09:10:06 am »

I think the SNP is trying to make it sounds as if as little as possible will actually change upon independence so as not to scare people around. That's the only reason I can think of to continue using the £.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: April 13, 2014, 09:13:19 am »

I think the SNP is trying to make it sounds as if as little as possible will actually change upon independence so as not to scare people around. That's the only reason I can think of to continue using the £.

This. They've tried to make it seem like very few fundamental things will change with independence so as not to scare the horses; you'll even have the same money in your pocket. At the same time though they're trying to show that a lot will change with independence in the long run, like creating "a fairer Scotland", being able to exploit all our resources and being more peaceful and stuff like that.

I predict that with independence a new Republican party will probably appear and a lot of the Republicans in the SNP will migrate to it, or the party will eventually change their stance.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: April 13, 2014, 09:33:13 am »

How is the Royal family funded in the UK? Only through the revenues of its holdings, or are they state-paid?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: April 13, 2014, 09:43:23 am »

How is the Royal family funded in the UK? Only through the revenues of its holdings, or are they state-paid?

Both. A portion of our tax money goes to them. I've heard they cost each citizen subject 50p or something.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:13:00 am by Owlbread »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: April 13, 2014, 09:47:37 am »

But Commonwealth countries don't pay, right? There is some saving to be done there. :p

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: April 13, 2014, 10:01:59 am »

Doesn't the monarchy bring in a lot of tourism? I seem to recall hearing they make the a net profit just by existing and showing up places.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 1393