Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750076 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #3015 on: January 07, 2014, 10:00:37 am »

Obviously, the first act of united canotland would be to turn their entire research budget to cloning lobsters. We are no longer quite so fettered by the arbitrary whims of biological chance. The entire world could be covered in lobsters, had we but the will.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: January 07, 2014, 01:05:23 pm »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: January 07, 2014, 07:28:33 pm »

Well, not exactly.  They'd be able to order you to restrict your behaviour in basically any manner.  Then arrest you when you break that order.

Its main effects will probably be making peaceful protest impossible and criminalizing homelessness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3019 on: January 07, 2014, 08:51:52 pm »

So basically, they'd be able to arrest anyone for anything.
"An injunction under this section may for the purpose of preventing the
respondent from engaging in anti-social behaviour—"

Ha ha wow, is the UK Big Brother turning into a literal big brother?
'Aw, cheer up bro. But seriously, if you don't leave your house and make at least 3 friends today I will send the secret police after you.'

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: January 07, 2014, 08:56:10 pm »

So basically, they'd be able to arrest anyone for anything.
So next time somebody says that it isn't illegal to be a dick, you can correct them!

But seriously, why do people think laws so vaguely worded are good? I'm sure judges must hate it, they are the ones that need to inject their personal opinion into a legal matter, something that have been told is best avoided.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: January 07, 2014, 09:05:40 pm »

It's not vaguely worded, it's extremely clear.  It's just also ridiculously broad and subjective.

"An injunction under this section may for the purpose of preventing the
respondent from engaging in anti-social behaviour—"

Ha ha wow, is the UK Big Brother turning into a literal big brother?
'Aw, cheer up bro. But seriously, if you don't leave your house and make at least 3 friends today I will send the secret police after you.'
Well they define "anti-social" as "being annoying to any person", a bit like with the ASBOs only going even further.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: January 08, 2014, 07:46:13 am »

Well they define "anti-social" as "being annoying to any person", a bit like with the ASBOs only going even further.
Even better, it's not just being annoying to any person, it's committing an act that's capable of being annoying to any person. Or anything threatening to cause such an act.

Which is, like. Breathing? You could probably have an injunction filed 'gainst you for that. Being alive at all. Being dead. Being nonexistent, probably. S'a titch insane.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: January 08, 2014, 02:39:08 pm »

If this passes then I'll genuinely email every MP requesting they work to repeal it and attempt to file injunctions against every single one who doesn't respond positively.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: January 08, 2014, 03:19:57 pm »

Maybe you should mail your MP now to ask him to block that thing before it passes?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: January 08, 2014, 03:38:47 pm »

The House of Lords voted heavily against it.  As much as I dislike their existence ideologically, those chaps have done a fair bit of good over the years.

Maybe you should mail your MP now to ask him to block that thing before it passes?

My MP is a really nice dude (and fairly on the ball for an old fogey), he's the one who actually brought it to my attention.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: January 08, 2014, 03:51:37 pm »

I'd be highly in favour a system where the Lords came primarily from academia, various industries and unions.  Maybe seats could be granted to organisations rather than people, and these organisations would have to elect their own representative.  One seat for each major union, one for each major university, one for each major industry, one for each major religion (atheism/humanism included).

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: January 08, 2014, 05:44:13 pm »

I wouldn't mind an unelected house drawn from legal experts, primarily judges, maybe throw in a high profile barrister if they deserve it. give them the job of making sure laws are just and fair and enforceable, rather than looking at the reasons why the law is required.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: January 08, 2014, 05:48:00 pm »

I wouldn't mind an unelected house drawn from legal experts, primarily judges, maybe throw in a high profile barrister if they deserve it. give them the job of making sure laws are just and fair and enforceable, rather than looking at the reasons why the law is required.
Isn't that just a High Court?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: January 08, 2014, 05:53:59 pm »

High court is reactive, not proactive. Laws get passed and then legally challenged when something comes up, making the process slow and expensive. Have what is essentially the high court review the bill before it is ever a law and things go more smoothly.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 1393