Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750057 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #3000 on: January 06, 2014, 06:26:15 am »

Pfff, I'll invade Germany like its 1923.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: January 06, 2014, 06:37:06 am »

Firstly, that was the Rhineland, which is practically French anyway (I consider myself living in North-East France whenever it is opportune =D ), secondly, that was after the Versailles Treaty, when Germany was pretty fucked-up anyhow, and thirdly, there wasn't even need for fighting to throw you guys out.
Call me when you're in the Reichstag, killing our doodz - remember where our Kaiserreich was founded?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: January 06, 2014, 07:04:24 am »

Come on, it was like the one time we managed to invade someone, and you have to be all mean and ruin it. Thanks for nothing.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: January 06, 2014, 07:24:00 am »

Aw c'mon, we kicked some Saxon butt together when Charlemagne still was in charge - and together we comquered Europe! Sort of, at least.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: January 06, 2014, 10:15:31 am »

The Belgian Invasion of Germany? I actually had to look that up.  ;)
Belgians kicked some serious German butt though with the French and other Germans under Napoleon. That's the main reason we had to really rub it in to the French by founding the German Empire in Versailles.

I'm going to disagree with you one one point, it's that the EU is not so much the project of the people up in Brussels as a scapegoat used by the governments. Right now, nothing get done without the Council (the organs made up of the relevant ministers). What happen is that this Council decide of stuffs in Brussels then each minister come back home and blame "Brussels" for what they just decided. Europe is largely a scapegoat for national governments.

Now we do need more democracy in there I'd agree with this. (Anyone remember the Irish referendum? Can you imagine Putin for example saying "I didn't like this result, you'll have to vote again."? But this is not what the UK wants. The UK has been pushing for less integration and see a democratic Europe a dangerously legitimate.

As far as the fiscal union goes, it's going to be negotiated inside the Eurozone anyway, so the UK will have no influence on that.

The expansion to Eastern Europe was, as far as I'm concerned, a complete success. Just compare the post-soviets countries that made it into the EU with those that didn't.

Finally, the UK has also been a major stumbling block as far as financial regulations are concerned. I'd be glad to see them out just for that.
I totally agree on that scapegoat thing, I don't think however that contradicts what I was saying. For most of our politicians the EU is still a sacred cow, no matter how much they blame it for stuff. And then there's also the commission, another institution that has a lot of power without being really legitimized democratically.

The fiscal union will come eventually, it will basically have to if we want to keep a common currency. Actually it turns out it would have technically been much smarter to do that first and then get a common currency. Currently I think it's too soon for that though, there is still too much imbalance between countries. Sure, it's negotiated inside the Eurozone, but when I was talking about a more pro-active UK, I was thinking of one that would consider joining the Eurozone at some point in the future and thus be motivated to influence these developments.

I agree that the first Eastern Expansion was a huge success. Economically in any case and politically pretty much too, if Hungary doesn't act out. It's really remarkable if you look at Poland for example and see how well they've done since 1990. I think the last expansion, Bulgaria and Romania, was too soon however, they are not ready yet, both economically and politically. Sure they should join eventually, but if you look at Croatia, I don't even know if it will do much good for them to be in the EU now, with rising prices and all that. I think the EU needs to resolve a lot of it's own issues before expanding more, and some countries need to progress on their own for a bit before they are ready to join.

Finally, the financial regulations. It's understandable that the UK is blocking that, with their financial sector being so important. They are not the only ones however, ironically it was the Socialdemocratic government under Schröder that loosened many of Germany's regulations, allowing for much of the stuff with hedge fonds to happen in the first place. We will definitely need some sort of better financial regulations, how that should look, or rather what works and what is just a feelgood measure, I don't know.

Generally I think, a UK that would accept being part of the EU would be much more beneficial to everyone in the long term than a UK leaving the union and trying to do it's own thing, whatever that would be.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: January 06, 2014, 01:17:01 pm »

Just sayin'...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 01:18:40 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: January 06, 2014, 02:17:35 pm »

Just sayin'...

Also, in X-COM Russia always fights to the end and never succumbs to alien infiltration.
Judging by how many Russian defeats and the breakup of the USSR are often attributed in Russia to Western spies and traitors in the higher echelons of Russian/Soviet leadership, the absolute incorruptibility of the Russian government in X-COM games is kinda funny.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: January 07, 2014, 06:09:11 am »

Well, I'm going to agree that Bulgaria and Romania were let in too soon. Still, I think that if a country wants to join, and fulfill the requirements, we should accept him.

As far as the fiscal integration goes, I don't think it's too early. Rebalancing countries will be easier to do with rather than without financial integration, in large part because we can be sure the richer countries will attach string, maybe in the form of a stronger EU economic governance.

As for the UK's opinion on finance, yeah it is logical for them to defend the City. Doesn't mean its a positive influence, and I'd feel better if Scottish MEP weren't enlisted in defense of it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: January 07, 2014, 06:17:08 am »

How about we (bay12) decide on a single person, clone them like 200 times, and install them as dictator for life in every country? Get rid of this whole mess of "politics" and get things done? :V

I vote for either Vector or... Well... Vector, really. I'd say myself but that's only because I wanna control Canada and Scotland and have them merge into an abomination.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: January 07, 2014, 06:30:16 am »

Vote me for dictator and watch the economy skyrocket flipwards.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: January 07, 2014, 06:52:40 am »

Vote Helgoland for his hilarious and oxymoronic authoritarian liberal antics!
The Bay12 postcard club

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: January 07, 2014, 07:21:13 am »

How about we (bay12) decide on a single person, clone them like 200 times, and install them as dictator for life in every country? Get rid of this whole mess of "politics" and get things done? :V

I vote for either Vector or... Well... Vector, really. I'd say myself but that's only because I wanna control Canada and Scotland and have them merge into an abomination.

Mmmhm, there's absolutely nothing that can go wrong. Of course none of the 206 dictator clones will ever decide to proclaim themselves the most superior clone out of all and contest the title with the other clones. Of course there won't be any problems with succession and traitorous elites. This plan is absolutely flawless. Absolutely with a capital "A".
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: January 07, 2014, 08:15:22 am »

Guardian GI, you're right - we obviously have to wage a global war of annexation, so that ultimately only one person shall have power.
The Bay12 postcard club

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: January 07, 2014, 09:47:43 am »

But then it would be like making an entire transcontinental empire out of Cape Breton Island or the Red River area over in Manitoba. The entire world would surely split and crack with the sheer force of the stepdancing and there's only so many lobsters in the world, damnit.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 1393