Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750425 times)

Yannanth

Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2895 on: December 31, 2013, 05:01:24 am »

I'm pretty sure that's not why the site was chosen...

Besides, it will probably bring a little bit of development to a historically neglected area. Nothing bad about this. And let's not forget that the Circassian genocide (possibly ethnic cleansing instead of genocide) happened around 150 years ago for Christ's sake. Nothing to do with Putin or his government. It has nothing to do with any Bolshevik government either.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: December 31, 2013, 05:24:41 am »

Besides, it will probably bring a little bit of development to a historically neglected area. Nothing bad about this. And let's not forget that the Circassian genocide (possibly ethnic cleansing instead of genocide) happened around 150 years ago for Christ's sake. Nothing to do with Putin or his government. It has nothing to do with any Bolshevik government either.
Sochi is far from neglected area

It's not a poplar move when in huge country you invest billions from budget in one small region

Neither USSR nor modern Russia ever admitted the genocide. They could spent 1\100th of the funds they spent on the Olympics and built some monument, say something like "this was wrong and horrible and we are ashamed that Russians did it". But no, official Russian position is the same for more than century - no genocide ever happened. That equals to supporting the genocide

When you have a war at your home with people dying everyday and someone starts celebration at your doorstep - it's a spit in your face. It's not a spit from Russia alone. That's a spit in the face from the whole world. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:27:27 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: December 31, 2013, 08:52:24 am »

Well considering that the Bolsheviks continued the ethnic cleansing by deporting the remaining Circassians to Central Asia and later "liberal" governments refused to let them return to their homes (Russians live in those houses now) I think they had everything to do with it. It was originally genocide, however. Ethnic cleansing in an act of genocide. There's still elderly Circassians in Central Asia, Israel, Jordan, Turkey and all over the world that aren't able to return to their ancestral homes because they were deported and someone else took them.

As Ukrainian Ranger said though Sochi isn't a neglected area. It's a very popular holiday spot for Russian and other Eastern European people because it's so warm and it's quite a beautiful city.

In Scottish news...

There are now genuine concerns going around in the Conservative Party that we could actually pull this campaign off because the No to Independence Campaign is so unrelentingly negative and abysmal.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 09:13:46 am by Owlbread »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: December 31, 2013, 04:14:46 pm »

I am suprised the Tories are going to manouver against Scots independance, seeing as if it were to come to pass it would give them a massive advantage in whatever remains of Westminster. Thi is an old "Union" thing, isn't it?
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: December 31, 2013, 04:24:00 pm »

I am suprised the Tories are going to manouver against Scots independance, seeing as if it were to come to pass it would give them a massive advantage in whatever remains of Westminster. Thi is an old "Union" thing, isn't it?

It wouldn't necessarily be a massive advantage though. If the Tories hadn't had to worry about Scots MPs over the last 60 years I understand we'd only have changed the result of elections about 3-4 times, and among those 3-4 it was stuff like changing what would have been a Labour minority to a majority, hung parliament to Labour and so on. But you're right, there should really be no reason for the Tories concentrating on this so much besides the old beliefs that still linger. In Scotland it makes sense - our Conservative Party used to be called the "Unionist" Party, and now it is officially the Conservative and Unionist Party of Scotland. It's even in the name. In the UK as a whole though there isn't that kind of link.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: December 31, 2013, 05:12:25 pm »

Man, I was going to make basically this exact post, decided not to, and come back to find someone else did it instead :P

Anyhow, it's funny how Conservatives just about everywhere have a tendency to oppose things that would benefit them substantially. It's the same in Canada; if Quebec left, the Tories would be capable of passing just about anything short of declaring Stephen Harper to be Emperor For Life, and they could probably manage even that on a good year. Yet they're pretty solidly against Quebecois independence.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: December 31, 2013, 05:21:58 pm »

There's a bit of "the opposition can NEVER get their way!" attitude among most conservative groups.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Yannanth

« Reply #2902 on: December 31, 2013, 05:50:10 pm »

There's a bit of "the opposition can NEVER get their way!" attitude among most conservative groups.
This statement sounds silly, but it was actually found to be accurate in an American study (link). Leftists think they're special snowflakes, conservatives think everyone agrees with them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2903 on: December 31, 2013, 06:45:22 pm »

This statement sounds silly, but it was actually found to be accurate in an American study (link). Leftists think they're special snowflakes, conservatives think everyone agrees with them.
What if you're a special snowflake who thinks everyone agrees with you?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: December 31, 2013, 07:01:13 pm »

I think that's a libertarian.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: December 31, 2013, 07:47:26 pm »

I thought libertarians thought nobody but a select breed of super humans agreed with them, and the rest of the populas were worthless parasites who use democracy to crush freedoms... 100% special snowflakes, but far from thinking everybody agrees with them.

No, that would be religious fundamentalists.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: December 31, 2013, 08:06:52 pm »

I thought libertarians thought nobody but a select breed of super humans agreed with them, and the rest of the populas were worthless parasites who use democracy to crush freedoms

Yes, they are often called "sheeple".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: December 31, 2013, 08:09:42 pm »

Anyway, I have a special degree of disdain for the libertarian attitude of "I can dismiss anybody elses opinion out of hand because they are just trying to oppress meeeeee!"

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: December 31, 2013, 11:29:43 pm »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:32:06 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: January 01, 2014, 04:25:12 am »

Or its the fact that Libertarians look at the government with disgust.

That Edward Snowden guy was making well over 140k a year working for the government. All that money that's just being pissed away into contracts and stuff that no one really needs. The reason why teachers and social programs get attacked is because they are in the public eye and thus get the centre of the blame. Combine this with taxes that don't ever seem to benefit what needs to be helped.

In Europe it's even worse, as the taxes are higher and the social programs vaster. It can make many feel like they are just paying other people's way through life. Which just about all are okay with, as long as the guy's getting back on his feet or training for a new job or doing something so that one day they'll be helping out. It just seems to them, with their sort of sample size that some people just don't do anything with their life and expect others to baby them along

And don't diss principle.

Liberty or Death!
May the mass times acceleration be with you
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 1393