Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750877 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2745 on: December 22, 2013, 09:15:53 am »

TL;DR: You tell me not to be cautious about nuclear, even though it is quite evident that accidents continue to happen?
Being cautious is good, being paranoid is not
One should evaluate risks, compare all variants and make rational decisions, not trying to ban everything that is dangerous

As for meltdown, speaking from the country that experienced one. Those aren't THAT bad as anti-nuclear guys want to show it. Yes, cancer rates increased a bit (Whatever "ecologists" may say, that's thousands of deaths, maybe tenth of thousands, surely not more) but that's mostly all. And many of that cases of cancer are effects of other things producing background radiation... like burning coal for electricity

Dangers of radiation are overrated, Chemical pollution is usually more dangerous than radioactive one, it spreads more easily, it kills faster, it destroys nature (Chernobyl is a cool nature park now. Yep animals have somewhat shorter lifespans and have more defective mutants born, but nature has means to fix that unlike huge fields of plastics or more nasty chemical stuff.)
Neither nature can handle artificial deserts created by coal mining, or huge territories with wind turbines or solar panels or dams that ruin natural river ecosystems. Nuclear power is the most nature friendly way to generate energy and it's ridiculous that Greens fight against it
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: December 22, 2013, 09:23:00 am »

Well, nuclear power plants might have made a net contribution to the environment. Chernobyl is a nice nature park know.

Additionally, most of those deaths will be due to cancers. Most animals have a much shorter livespan than ours, and are hence less likely to develop problems as a result of the incident.

Insects around Swedish nuclear power plants have been found to have roughly 14 times as high mutation rate as insects elseplace. Clearly it is only a matter of time before the hive-mind forms and we have an invasion of giant sugar-addicted ants on our hands.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: December 22, 2013, 09:37:54 am »

I'd love to see the study for this, it seems like a huge difference, given that the emission from a nuclear power plant is a fraction from the background radiation.

Still, higher mutation rate may not be that bad. It does means more possibility for adaptation in the face of a rapidly evolving climate.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: December 22, 2013, 10:10:44 am »

Some fungi live inside Chernobyl reactor and convert gamma radiation into a chemical energy. Nature knows how to adapt to natural things. And radiation is natural
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: December 22, 2013, 10:58:45 am »

Really? Any source for that?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: December 22, 2013, 11:03:13 am »

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 11:04:49 am by 10ebbor10 »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: December 22, 2013, 11:27:50 am »

I'd love to see the study for this, it seems like a huge difference, given that the emission from a nuclear power plant is a fraction from the background radiation.

Still, higher mutation rate may not be that bad. It does means more possibility for adaptation in the face of a rapidly evolving climate.

I just brought it up to make a Them! reference. The real number was probably much, much lower, I can't remember it at all beyond "insects around nuclear plants found to have higher mutation rates". And like you said, there isn't (and wasn't implied in the original article, as far as I remember) anything inherently harmful about mutation. If I recall correctly, it also said how there hadn't been any similar effects found in species that don't go through reproduction cycles several times per week (or even day). So we don't have to worry about Morlocks just yet.
Love, scriver~

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: December 22, 2013, 12:10:20 pm »

Fine that they're so chill about it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2754 on: December 22, 2013, 12:13:28 pm »

Fine that they're so chill about it.
I know right? They're investigating it as vandalism. Just about every other country would be flipping their shit that someone just tried killing a politician.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: December 22, 2013, 12:17:00 pm »

I hate to be proven right regarding extremists but I bloody told you so.

Now to hear that this is a fringe group, certainly not signs of a bigger movement, bluh bluh huge harmonies

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: December 22, 2013, 02:50:09 pm »

Sweden's Democratic party is right-wing. Unless you're saying it was likely to be a religious-immigrant person, which I wouldn't doubt. They've been dickholes to everyone not of 'proper' Swedish heritage [aka white].

And the ones who got bombed this time are in fact the fringe extreme group.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:53:14 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2757 on: December 22, 2013, 03:19:03 pm »

Sweden's Democratic party is right-wing. Unless you're saying it was likely to be a religious-immigrant person, which I wouldn't doubt. They've been dickholes to everyone not of 'proper' Swedish heritage [aka white].
And the ones who got bombed this time are in fact the fringe extreme group.
The fringe group's getting bombed by mainstream society this time.
Some world we live in. Huh.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: December 22, 2013, 03:33:49 pm »

I'd accept the theory that its a disgruntled immigrant tired of the hateful vitriol they've been spewing.

It's just nice to see the Swedes themselves not worried about it. [Just kidding, that's a dangerous precedent to set]

Dear lord I made the mistake of reading the comments on that article.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:35:48 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: December 22, 2013, 03:35:21 pm »

A better translation of the term "allmänfarlig ödeläggelse" is "[Dangerous-to-Everyone-Around] Desolation".

And yeah, the "Sweden Democrats" are nothing but neonazies dressed up in suits. In related news another neo-nazi group recently assaulted a peaceful anti-racism manifestation in Stockholm, showing no scruples regarding attacking neither youth, old, or even the many families with babies and young children that were present to protest against neo-nazis muttering their streets with graffiti and even using their public sports-field to practice "warfare". Another demonstration was held at the same place today with over 20 000 people showing up to show their dislike of racism - which may sound small, but it's actually one if the biggest protests in modern times. Hey, we're a tiny country, youknow? ;)

Lastly, it should be noted that the "Sweden Democrats" was the only party in the Riksdag to not show up and show their support against neonazis attacking people who just wanted to make their voices heard.

Edit: Geh, got the name wrong >_<
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:53:55 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 1393