Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744203 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2130 on: November 22, 2013, 05:05:19 pm »

Yanukovich was elected thanks to popular support of the electorate from the Russian-speaking regions of Ukraine, which didn't expect him to start pursuing pro-EU policies. As a result of the EU deal being scrapped, various liberal and nationalist pro-EU parties have turned against him. Russia is not happy with him for not striving to join the Customs Union, EU is not happy with him for not releasing his liberal political rival Timoshenko from prison.
He somehow managed to piss off everyone with his actions.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: November 23, 2013, 08:43:59 am »

Typical case of trying not to upset anyone and in the process upsetting everyone. I still expect Ukraine to come back to the EU side in a few years. Even with the crisis, Europe just make for a much brighter goal than Russia.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: November 23, 2013, 09:30:01 am »

Ukraine joining the EU and/or NATO could ruin Putin's "Union State" plans too. If Belarus's government changes maybe they too could move down that path, but somehow I don't see Lukashenko going anywhere any time soon.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:33:31 am by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: November 23, 2013, 11:20:23 am »

I'd normally agree, but after what happened to Ben Ali I've started to wonder if Lukashenko isn't going to be vulnerable to a Black Swan event. Ali's position was not that different from Lukashenko's before he suddenly found two million people outside his house calling for his arrest.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: November 23, 2013, 11:47:24 am »

I think we'll need Guardian G.I. to clear that up for us. Guardian, do you imagine such a thing could ever happen in Belarus? Zhivye Belarus? Abo zhivye novy, nevyaliki, SSR...

Out of interest, does the Opposition in Belarus favour a return of the Belarusian Democratic Republic and its government in exile?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:08:21 pm by Owlbread »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: November 24, 2013, 12:04:34 pm »

100 000+ on the streets in Kiev. Déjà vu . It's like 2004 but better... hope it will not die out tomorrow
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: November 24, 2013, 12:06:05 pm »

My blessings go to them. Good luck, Ranger. I wish you every success.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: November 24, 2013, 06:05:41 pm »

I think we'll need Guardian G.I. to clear that up for us. Guardian, do you imagine such a thing could ever happen in Belarus? Zhivye Belarus? Abo zhivye novy, nevyaliki, SSR...

Out of interest, does the Opposition in Belarus favour a return of the Belarusian Democratic Republic and its government in exile?
Our opposition constantly tries to do that at every presidential elections. After the preliminary results are announced (guess the winning candidate), around 8-10 thousand opposition supporters gather in the centre of Minsk, our capital city. The opposition agitators start telling people to go to this political demonstration long before the election day. After they assemble, they start demanding President Lukashenko's resignation and try to do something drastic (like setting up a Maidan-style camp in 2006 or trying to storm the parliament building in 2010). Then the riot police arrive and clear the streets while foreign journalists film them. The European Commission, the US Department of State and all progressive mankind obviously condemn this grave and horrible violation of human rights the next day and renew the sanctions against President Lukashenko. At the next elections, it all repeats again.

The demonstrations generally only happen in Minsk, the city with the highest percentage of people supporting the opposition. Their popular support in the smaller towns is low. You can hardly find an opposition supporter in the countryside.

The biggest opposition rally against Lukashenko's presidency occurred in 1998, when he tried to dissolve the liberal pro-Western parliament, the Supreme Soviet of Belarus by the means of constitutional reform (he eventually succeeded). IIRC, around 30-50 thousand people took part in it. It also happened exclusively in Minsk. The popular support for the opposition has dwindled since then.

The opposition doesn't support the BNR's government in exile.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:09:47 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: November 24, 2013, 06:08:43 pm »

Do you think they will ever succeed?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: November 24, 2013, 06:15:01 pm »

Do you think they will ever succeed?
It's not likely. The opposition doesn't have enough supporters for that. Plus, the leaders of the opposition are generally incompetent people without any clear political program other than "Let's get rid of Lukashenko and join the EU, we'll figure out the rest of the issues later". The EU keeps financing them through grants even though they are a waste of European taxpayers' money.
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: November 24, 2013, 06:58:41 pm »

As I said, I think Lukashenko is going to be vulnerable to a Black Swan event, which is by nature unpredictable. Could be anything, but if he goes too far and builds up enough resentment towards his person, I could see it. The ideal would just be a similar situation to Ben Ali's. Huge turnouts against him, he realizes he might actually be in legit danger, and flees without bloodshed to fufil his dream as Putin's eternal love.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: November 25, 2013, 03:44:03 am »

As I said, I think Lukashenko is going to be vulnerable to a Black Swan event, which is by nature unpredictable. Could be anything, but if he goes too far and builds up enough resentment towards his person, I could see it. The ideal would just be a similar situation to Ben Ali's. Huge turnouts against him, he realizes he might actually be in legit danger, and flees without bloodshed to fufil his dream as Putin's eternal love.
The protests in Tunisia and Egypt were caused by deep underlying societal problems which are not present in Belarus (we don't have as much income inequality, for example).
The protests in Tunisia and Egypt were not spontaneous, but carefully organized events.
There are state security forces (lots of people from the former Soviet KGB work there) monitoring the opposition's activities. Should the opposition try to organize something that our leadership may find threatening, state security will immediately intervene. They've done that several times over the past years. They don't trouble the opposition if they don't try to do something radical, though.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 03:48:53 am by Guardian G.I. »
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: November 25, 2013, 04:28:24 am »

What about natural causes? Is there an obvious sucessor to Lukashenko, or could Belarus experience a Franco-type transition to democracy?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:51:10 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: November 25, 2013, 06:09:58 am »

What about natural causes? Is there an obvious sucessor to Lukashenko, or could Belarus experience a Franco-type transition to democracy
It's an interesting question. Lukashenko is 59 years old at the moment and assuming he'll stay in power firmly and he won't have health problems, he'll be president for the next 15-20 years.
He has a son, Nikolai, who is 9 years old at the moment and who is often present at President's public appearances. It's jokingly assumed around here that he'll become the next president of Belarus. Our president denied it once at a press conference, stating something along the lines of "Every day he sees first-hand how hard the work of President is and he doesn't want to work like me".
Then again, maybe 20 years into the future Belarus will be a member state of the Eurasian Union and the question of changing political ideologies will be ruled out.
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: November 25, 2013, 06:35:32 am »

The protests in Tunisia and Egypt were not spontaneous, but carefully organized events.
Why all people with Soviet mentality think like that about all Arab Spring events?

I think it all depends on external factors. Any serious internal crisis in Russia and you can forget about Lukashenko because when Belorussian economy will rapidly collapse and no security forces will stop the wave.
How likely crisis in Russia is another question

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 1393