Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1193 1194 [1195] 1196 1197 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746453 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: The Edition Edition
« Reply #17910 on: June 21, 2015, 11:04:20 pm »

I like to discuss the topic so I discuss it if it comes up.  I dont ask for your permission.
You're still being a bit of an ass about it.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17911 on: June 21, 2015, 11:06:59 pm »

I'm sorry that you feel that way.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17912 on: June 21, 2015, 11:36:41 pm »

Yeah, Ispil, if you don't want to answer, don't.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17913 on: June 22, 2015, 12:44:53 am »

Argument aside the topic is very interesting, though obviously if it becomes one sided it's basically just a lecture.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17914 on: June 22, 2015, 04:01:16 am »

Well, its fair to say that the Russian Empire was technologically stagnant prior to Peter the Great -- I mean, that was his raison d'etre as Tsar: "Hey, I've been to Europe and seen a world where there's more to do than sit in our castles and get drunk on potato squeezing!"
Russian Empire had many problems, but Sergarr says that without glorious Stalin Russia wouldn't get mechanized agriculture, powerplants, antibiotics and so on.
It didn't get antibiotics due to American-Soviet relations being... Well the cold war
They developed phage treatment instead, and powerplants... Chernobyl

Wait, Soviets didn't manage to steal antibiotics decades after they were discovered? *facepalms*
Uhm, sure they did. At the very least they had aminoglycosides for certain, and I'm pretty sure they had others as well. They might not have had access to the same range of antibiotics than Western countries. But there were antibiotics in the USSR. Antibiotics predate World War II.

For that matter, the reverse is also true: some former Eastern Bloc very effective antineoplastic agents (Bendamustin comes to mind) weren't widely avaiable in the West until quite recently.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17915 on: June 22, 2015, 04:21:43 am »

Cullse provided a pretty thorough explanation (well, okay, there are still dozens of 'causes for WWI' we could go through), but miscommunication did play an interesting part.

The telegrams aren't that important, I guess, but as some examples, Germany had arranged last-minute talks with the Russians to settle the matter during the Crisis, but the Austrians pushed on to war. Another is that some historians think that 'for Russia mobilization meant preparation for a possible war', but was seen in Germany as basically a declaration of war. Or that Wilhelm II thought the Serbian response to the ultimatum removed the need for war, ignored or just never communicated to A-H. When you can't clearly get through to your allies, how can you talk with your rivals? Communications were poor and everything happened fast for the standards of the day - the Austrians delayed their ultimatum because the French premier was visiting Russia at the time it was finished, and they didn't want the allies to be able to communicate so closely.

I still wouldn't put it as number one cause, but the whole Crisis situation was an ungodly mess. I could try to dig up some sources and more examples, if you'd like.

Historiography isn't a contest, guys. Chill, even if someone disagrees with you.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17916 on: June 22, 2015, 10:33:19 am »

Historiography isn't a contest, guys.
Hee~.  Historiography is totally a contest, in spite of how it should be otherwise.  Albanian national consciousness, though already greatly distinct from its neighbors, has been also tied to historical Illyrianism.  Iraq, especially under Saddam, sought to establish continuity of the colonially-imposed state with Babylon, while Kavoukjian's works on Armani and Sumerian history were denounced as chauvinistic Armenian nationalism for their naked attempts at producing continuity with Sumerian-era peoples.  The origin of Aryan languages has become exceptionally politicized in India, due to an alternate theory that suggests that they originated in India rather than the Pontic steppes.  Many young cultures ("young" being measured here on the timescale of nations), of which Macedonian springs immediately to mind, have also sought credibility through establishing ties to a distant and well-established past through historiography.  Armenian irredentism is rooted in historical claims of a Greater Armenia, and in contrast, the irredentist concept of Western Azerbaijan is similarly rooted in the converse, that the Armenians of "Erivan" were largely resettled there only after the Russians conquered the region, and that the span of modern Armenia is in fact properly Azerbaijani.  Indeed, it's only in recent years, relatively speaking, that we've started stepping back from the naked politicization of historiography for the furtherment of national or other aims and started taking notions of a universal history seriously. 

And that's just politicization of science.  Academia can have all sorts of nasty back-biting even without bringing nationalist sentiments into it. ^_^

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17917 on: June 22, 2015, 03:33:45 pm »

Armenia got some protests It looks minor but I have a feeling that this one may grow larger and spread to other issues.

PS. Armenia is in UEFA and this means it is in Europe :)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17918 on: June 22, 2015, 03:48:36 pm »

hey everyone it's time for another fantastic game of ISRAEL JE SRBIJA ARGENTINA YUROP

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17920 on: June 23, 2015, 03:37:38 am »

Armenia got some protests It looks minor but I have a feeling that this one may grow larger and spread to other issues.
This one was watercannoned and ~200 protsters arrested.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17921 on: June 23, 2015, 08:55:33 am »

by the way guys, i'm watching a russian hosted sports competition on tv right now, some kind of european summer championships in baku?
honk
i wonder if they're going to send green men to georgia now, seems legit enough considering what happened after the sochi olympiad

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17922 on: June 23, 2015, 09:16:49 am »

Baku is in Azerbaijan... I guess it could be Russia Funny Accent & More Arm Hair edition if their arch rival Armenia wasn't Russia's pawn.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17923 on: June 23, 2015, 09:19:16 am »

t'was shit bait then

tell me more about finland in that case, you guys still electing neonazis or what are the big news nowadays?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17924 on: June 23, 2015, 09:57:00 am »

I've never really gotten why there's is People smuggling in Calais, France can't be that bad to live in.
Sure it's France but religious minority's are protected under law, LGBT rights are some of the most advanced in Europe.
The constitution assures equality regardless of race or religion.

In short i don't see why they risk there lives to come to England from France.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 ... 1193 1194 [1195] 1196 1197 ... 1393