Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1188 1189 [1190] 1191 1192 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746586 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: The Edition Edition
« Reply #17835 on: June 21, 2015, 06:47:31 am »

In a brief pause between Catalonian and Slavic bants, Argentines still want our rocks and they can't take them
malvinas are rightful argentine clay
huehuehuehuehue

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17836 on: June 21, 2015, 06:50:56 am »

Rightful Argentine clay oil.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17837 on: June 21, 2015, 06:55:14 am »

And who implemented that technological progress in Russia, fairy spirits, or Stalin's government?
Thank you dear Ukrainian Democratic Governments for my PC and cellphone because during evil Soviet Rule Ukrainians had none!

Technological progress happens because creative and industrious people drive it forward.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17838 on: June 21, 2015, 06:56:21 am »

remember the ancient argentinian empire, it settled lands from vietnam to guatemala and started the great tradition of having fingernails

give back the clay

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17839 on: June 21, 2015, 07:10:10 am »

280 millions extra to defend the Falklands? Thats like, 100.000 quids per islanders... There is already something like one British soldiers for every 2 or 3 islanders...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17840 on: June 21, 2015, 07:12:13 am »

I know right the ratio should be at least 5 to 1

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #17841 on: June 21, 2015, 07:13:07 am »

280 millions extra to defend the Falklands? Thats like, 100.000 quids per islanders... There is already something like one British soldiers for every 2 or 3 islanders...
Well, Argentina is pretty much the only country that's a quoteunquote"'"'"threat"'"'"* to the UK.

* """

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17842 on: June 21, 2015, 07:15:35 am »

5 soldiers to every 1 of the oils, just like the 'MURICANS used in Iraqifistan
This is a blank sig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17843 on: June 21, 2015, 07:26:55 am »

Are you saying that the inhabitants of those islands deserve less defence than the inhabitants of the mainland just because defending them is a bit of a hassle? Nations don't work like that, unless you're a libertarian.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17844 on: June 21, 2015, 07:28:46 am »

Well, Argentina is pretty much the only country that's a quoteunquote"'"'"threat"'"'"* to the UK.

* """

More threats than that m9

ISLAND nation

5 soldiers to every 1 of the oils, just like the 'MURICANS used in Iraqifistan
It's still not economically viable yet :/

A 5 to £2 fish ratio should still be doable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17845 on: June 21, 2015, 07:30:28 am »

And who implemented that technological progress in Russia, fairy spirits, or Stalin's government?
Thank you dear Ukrainian Democratic Governments for my PC and cellphone because during evil Soviet Rule Ukrainians had none!

Technological progress happens because creative and industrious people drive it forward.
Technological progress happens because governments/corporations/companies are interested in getting stronger and more influential, and technological progress is one of the ways to achieve that.

Creative and industrious people would be able to do virtually nothing by themselves, if not coupled with people who are interested in their work. Stalin was interested in technological progress, so he used those creative and industrious people to push it forward in USSR. Nikolai II was not very interested in technological progress, so in Russian Empire, there wasn't much technological progress.

It's supply and demand thing. Creative and industrious people provide supply for achieving technological progress, but it won't ultimately happen if there is no demand. This is why, despite inventing steam engine, Romans have never actually used it to do their work; why would they do that, if they had slaves? Same with Russian Empire - it had plenty of slaves - "krepostniy" - to do all the work, and thus technological progress stagnated. Only when the government started to actually care about all people in the country (and not for "nobles only") did the technological progress started to really get going.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17846 on: June 21, 2015, 07:35:06 am »

That is also one of the more cynical theories as to why the British Empire ended slavery around the world; as it was the first nation to industrialize it stood the most to gain financially by ending slavery and damaging all the nations and Empires that depended upon slave labour to do what British machines could do

The obvious exception is nazi germany which used slave labour AND advanced technology/industry

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17847 on: June 21, 2015, 07:36:47 am »

Creative and industrious people would be able to do virtually nothing by themselves, if not coupled with people who are interested in their work. Stalin was interested in technological progress, so he used those creative and industrious people to push it forward in USSR. Nikolai II was not very interested in technological progress, so in Russian Empire, there wasn't much technological progress.
The basic observation is correct, but your take on it is very, uh, Russian - you completely disregard that there's such a thing as start-up companies. And I'd hardly credit Hayes with us having light in our homes, or Truman with the advent of modern computing. And I'd sure as shit not credit Hitler with humankind becoming a spacefaring civilization.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17848 on: June 21, 2015, 07:38:11 am »

Are you saying that the inhabitants of those islands deserve less defence than the inhabitants of the mainland just because defending them is a bit of a hassle? Nations don't work like that, unless you're a libertarian.

Good question. Does the UK have an obligation to defend them no matter the cost? According to wikipedia, the Falkland-associated defense spending is something like 360 millions, or 220 % of the island´s GDP. After all, the NHS doesn´t cover some very expensive treatment, how is this different?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:41:10 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17849 on: June 21, 2015, 07:39:37 am »

Good question. Does the UK have an obligation to defend them no matter the cost? According to wikipedia, the Falkland-associated defense spending is something like 220 % of the island´s GDP. After all, the NHS doesn´t cover some very expensive treatment, how is this different?
We do not sell Brits to Argies
Pages: 1 ... 1188 1189 [1190] 1191 1192 ... 1393