Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1131 1132 [1133] 1134 1135 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748379 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #16980 on: May 30, 2015, 08:38:26 am »

The last time Ukraine gave Russia two middle fingers (Maidan) they occupied a third of your country and created divisions that will last 100 years, intentionally ruining Ukraine and turning it into a toilet to prevent any further dissent against their imperialist rule, exactly like the UK in Northern Ireland, 1921. I know resistance is important but I think they certainly have the upper hand here.
1\3? It is something like 8% of territory combined.
As for 100 years... similar divisions in Czechoslovakia were solved right after WW2, we will do the same in Crimea and Donbass, question is when.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16981 on: May 30, 2015, 08:42:23 am »

Slightly off-topic: I believe I have found a quote which expressses very succinctly the fundamental character of Europe.

Everyone here knows the Seven Bridges of Königsberg problem, right? Well, it has its own wiki page, complete with a section 'Present state of the bridges'. Here's the first sentence:
Two of the seven original bridges did not survive the bombing of Königsberg in World War II.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16982 on: May 30, 2015, 08:56:33 am »

That's certainly not a "third of the country" by any margin, though. The actual area with our presence in East Ukraine is very small. And while Crimea is certainly somewhat big, it's far from being even a one-fifth part of Ukraine. Ukraine is big.
The last time Ukraine gave Russia two middle fingers (Maidan) they occupied a third of your country and created divisions that will last 100 years, intentionally ruining Ukraine and turning it into a toilet to prevent any further dissent against their imperialist rule, exactly like the UK in Northern Ireland, 1921. I know resistance is important but I think they certainly have the upper hand here.
1\3? It is something like 8% of territory combined.
As for 100 years... similar divisions in Czechoslovakia were solved right after WW2, we will do the same in Crimea and Donbass, question is when.

I think Owlbread was being dramatic here and exaggerating.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16983 on: May 30, 2015, 08:57:36 am »

Slightly off-topic: I believe I have found a quote which expressses very succinctly the fundamental character of Europe.

Everyone here knows the Seven Bridges of Königsberg problem, right? Well, it has its own wiki page, complete with a section 'Present state of the bridges'. Here's the first sentence:
Two of the seven original bridges did not survive the bombing of Königsberg in World War II.

I don't.

And I don't get it with the expressing the fundamental character of Europe. Something about burnt bridges?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:02:57 am by smjjames »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16984 on: May 30, 2015, 10:05:20 am »

Well, Königsberg has seven bridges, like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Can Euler go for a walk after dinner, cross every bridge exactly once, and return?

(Spoiler: No.)

I think it's a very European thing because we have the beginning of a very important mathematical field captured in a joke/anecdote/story like that, complete with real-life bridges which are basically history you can touch.
And then we bomb them, because for some reason every 50 years someone has the urge to kill a bunch of his fellow Europeans. And it's not even surprising to read about it, it's just presented in a matter-of-fact way.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16985 on: May 30, 2015, 10:17:31 am »

Why wouldn't you present facts as a matter of facts?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16986 on: May 30, 2015, 10:18:40 am »

... wikipedia isn't exactly the place you go to find people surprised about something happening. It... y'know, tries to express everything in a matter-of-fact way.

Also hey, 70 years and counting.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16987 on: May 30, 2015, 10:41:29 am »

I think the life of Pascal captures the spirit of Europe much better then Euler and the bridges.  The man invents an amazing machine, tries to monetize it and fails so he just gives up on the project and let it die.  Latter an acquaintance (not even a friend) asks him for help winning at gambling so he invents a world changing field of mathematics for a lark.  Having once again gotten a chance to revolutionize the world he decides instead what he wants to do is see what it's like to be a celibate shut in for a decade while practicing no mathematics whatsoever.  Then he dies young.  His life was the equivalent of a blackjack hand where you are dealt 21, decide to hit, get a second 10 and then look at the dealer and say "fuck you, I'm hitting again".  It just captures the wonderful European ability to find tragedy in the happiest circumstances and force apathetic irony into the most straightforward events.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16988 on: May 30, 2015, 10:52:59 am »

I think the life of Pascal captures the spirit of Europe much better then Euler and the bridges.  The man invents an amazing machine, tries to monetize it and fails so he just gives up on the project and let it die.  Latter an acquaintance (not even a friend) asks him for help winning at gambling so he invents a world changing field of mathematics for a lark.  Having once again gotten a chance to revolutionize the world he decides instead what he wants to do is see what it's like to be a celibate shut in for a decade while practicing no mathematics whatsoever.  Then he dies young.  His life was the equivalent of a blackjack hand where you are dealt 21, decide to hit, get a second 10 and then look at the dealer and say "fuck you, I'm hitting again".  It just captures the wonderful European ability to find tragedy in the happiest circumstances and force apathetic irony into the most straightforward events.
You might call it a wager... Pascal's wager.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #16989 on: May 30, 2015, 11:18:40 am »

Bloody Pascal's Wager.

So intellectually dishonest.

So yea, I guess it does capture the Spirit of Europe :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16990 on: May 31, 2015, 03:02:41 am »

Russia bans 89 EU political figures from entering Russia as response for EU sanctions.

The list is apparently quite eclectic. Who knew that international super spy global revolutionary useless patsy Nick Clegg presented such a threat to Russia and its current administration? That said, "is a vocal critic of Putin" seems to be a trait shared by a significant number of people on it. Make of that what you will.
This is a blank sig.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16991 on: May 31, 2015, 03:20:05 am »

Russia bans 89 EU political figures from entering Russia as response for EU sanctions.

The list is apparently quite eclectic. Who knew that international super spy global revolutionary useless patsy Nick Clegg presented such a threat to Russia and its current administration? That said, "is a vocal critic of Putin" seems to be a trait shared by a significant number of people on it. Make of that what you will.

potato:
Today Putin presented a list of people from the EU, who will no longer be allowed to enter Russia.
Amongst those are 3 members of our Dutch parliament. They have expressed their view in public, that they think that flight MH17 was shot down by a BUK rocket that originated from Russia. Apparently that is reason enough for Putin to disallow members of parliament of European nations access to their country. An extra debate with our minister president has been called for by our parliament, to discuss this.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16992 on: May 31, 2015, 03:23:38 am »

Isn't the timing a bit weird?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16993 on: May 31, 2015, 04:19:06 am »

potato:
Today Putin presented a list of people from the EU, who will no longer be allowed to enter Russia.
Amongst those are 3 members of our Dutch parliament. They have expressed their view in public, that they think that flight MH17 was shot down by a BUK rocket that originated from Russia. Apparently that is reason enough for Putin to disallow members of parliament of European nations access to their country. An extra debate with our minister president has been called for by our parliament, to discuss this.

Apologies for the repeat, but the BBC story was only posted on-line today, and I was not about to check back 3 or 4 pages to be sure it had not already been mentioned. Bear in mind that the list of 89 names has not been officially published according to the BBC, that Russian diplomats have only presented names as a result of repeated requests, and that the names used in the conjecture come form a "leaked" German version.
This is a blank sig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16994 on: May 31, 2015, 07:06:16 am »

What's even weirder is that they denied a German MP entry without giving a reason (and only after his plane had landed in Russia) first, and only a couple days later came forward with this list.
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 1131 1132 [1133] 1134 1135 ... 1393