Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1100 1101 [1102] 1103 1104 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748987 times)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #16515 on: May 10, 2015, 03:06:43 pm »

Riot wise, there haven't been any full scale riots reported that I'm aware of. There have been protests in London and Cardiff - 200 people in Cardiff, with various numbers from a few hundred to a couple of thousand quoted for the London ones. There were a few scuffles at the London protests, and a dozen arrests or so.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16516 on: May 10, 2015, 03:10:11 pm »

Riot wise, there haven't been any full scale riots reported that I'm aware of. There have been protests in London and Cardiff - 200 people in Cardiff, with various numbers from a few hundred to a couple of thousand quoted for the London ones. There were a few scuffles at the London protests, and a dozen arrests or so.

I think Charlotte Church was out in the Cardiff one with a placard or something. I have to say, though many deride her I have warmed to her upon discovering her politics and apparent support for Welsh independence.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16518 on: May 10, 2015, 03:48:07 pm »

What are Albanian nationalists doing in Macedonia (not to be confused with the Greek Macedonia)?

Edit: Oh, suppressed/oppressed minority looks like. Not to sound callous or anything.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 03:53:21 pm by smjjames »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16519 on: May 10, 2015, 04:26:57 pm »

According to some news, they've "come from the other side of a border". The closest countries to the place in question are Kosovo and Serbia. Last month, about 40 ethic Albanians from Kosovo briefly took over a Macedonian police station in the village of Gosince near the border, demanding the creation of an Albanian state in Macedonia.

I wonder when the ethnic cleansing will start in that region again...
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16520 on: May 10, 2015, 04:41:44 pm »

According to some news, they've "come from the other side of a border". The closest countries to the place in question are Kosovo and Serbia. Last month, about 40 ethic Albanians from Kosovo briefly took over a Macedonian police station in the village of Gosince near the border, demanding the creation of an Albanian state in Macedonia.

I wonder when the ethnic cleansing will start in that region again...

Because it's happened before or because you want it? I'm thinking the first one though.

There's a reason why the Balkans are called a powder keg and Balkanization is a thing.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16521 on: May 10, 2015, 04:56:19 pm »

Because it has happened before. Obviously. Why would I want ethnic cleansing, it's fucking mass murder of people based on superficial outside qualities.
._.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16522 on: May 10, 2015, 08:01:48 pm »

if they want a state so much why cant they drive an hour west and live in Albania? its not like there anything stopping them from going there instead of Macedonia.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16523 on: May 10, 2015, 09:37:28 pm »

I think they've always lived in that area. If my brief Wikipedia skimming is correct, when Albania was formed the borders were drawn pretty poorly and excluded a lot of Albanians. Seems like some of them got cut off and stuck in countries where they became a hated minority.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #16524 on: May 10, 2015, 10:36:52 pm »

Macedonia? Might you fine folks be actually discussing the FYROM?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16525 on: May 11, 2015, 12:43:34 am »

You totally can. Languages, cultures, history -- they die every year in droves. It's more troublesome (both from a logistic and moral standpoint) to induce that sort of loss, but it's also fairly trivial -- just get the kids and keep them from learning about the history and culture in question. Keep that up for one, two generations and it'd be dead. A nation without people to remember it and live in its ways is nothing.

That's... Not as easy as you seem to think. Morality-wise, well, Germans tried to do that multiple times, Russians as well, so you can usually find someone willing, but logistically... That's a freaking nightmare worse than conducting land war in Asia. You either have to physically remove virtually all children of a given culture from all adults of the same culture, permanently... OK, there is no second option. You have to physically create life-long concentration camps with unparalleled security measures and keep them up for about two generations.

You see, both Germany and Russia were trying to do kill Polish culture and language for about 123 years. And yet here we are.

Than again, I'm positive that there are more languages dying than being born, but:
a) I think it is a good thing (less foreign languages to learn, and still more than enough to study for a lifetime),
b) None of them are actually wide-spread in any sense of the word, as far as I know, and if I'm mistaken in that, please provide examples.

=====================================

In other news, we have had presidential elections in Poland yesterday, on 10th of May, Sunday. There will be second turn in two weeks for sure (we have the system where if there is no-one with 50%+ votes in the first turn, we have second one with two high-runners), but so far results are certainly interesting.
First place: Andrzej Duda, our major counter-candidate. About 35 - 40 %.
Second place: Bronisław Komorowski, our current president. About 30 - 35%.
Third place: Paweł Kukiz, our well-known rock singer. Yeah, rock singer. With very anti-system approach, he gathered a bit over 20% votes.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16526 on: May 11, 2015, 12:54:28 am »

Third place: Paweł Kukiz, our well-known rock singer. Yeah, rock singer. With very anti-system approach, he gathered a bit over 20% votes.
Either you had a very low turnout (like 40%) or something is very wrong

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16527 on: May 11, 2015, 01:47:51 am »

BlindKitty, there's some evidence that cognition and mindsets are, in some way, influenced by the language you speak. The way your language prioritizes certain words or phrases, noun-verb or verb-noun is another example, and so forth.

So by losing languages, we are perhaps losing forever certain ways of thinking about the world that may only come from that language or group of languages. So... Not really a fan of that idea, myself. :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16528 on: May 11, 2015, 02:51:10 am »

Either you had a very low turnout (like 40%) or something is very wrong

i don't see much of a problem with him being a rockstar, after all, Reagan was a Hollywood actor before he went into politics.

Unless I'm missing the point of your concern.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16529 on: May 11, 2015, 02:52:26 am »

BlindKitty, there's some evidence that cognition and mindsets are, in some way, influenced by the language you speak. The way your language prioritizes certain words or phrases, noun-verb or verb-noun is another example, and so forth.

So by losing languages, we are perhaps losing forever certain ways of thinking about the world that may only come from that language or group of languages. So... Not really a fan of that idea, myself. :v

This. Every language lost is a tragedy in itself.

I think they've always lived in that area. If my brief Wikipedia skimming is correct, when Albania was formed the borders were drawn pretty poorly and excluded a lot of Albanians. Seems like some of them got cut off and stuck in countries where they became a hated minority.

The philosophy of most post-Yugoslavs was to pretend the majority-Albanian territories didn't exist. In Serbia they still talk about Kosovo as the cradle of the nation despite there having been Albanians living there for about 500 years. The Serbs, Macedonians are dealing with the effects of Ottoman colonialism though as in many cases Albanians moved to these districts in Ottoman times. Irredentist nationalist movements generally haven't worked out how to overcome stuff like this - in the North of Ireland most Irish nationalists want to just ignore the Ulster Protestant minority created by British colonialism but you will find undoing 400 years of colonialism difficult.

Until now the general approach taken by such ethnic nationalist movements towards remedying the post-colonial problem has been the brutal extermination of the minorities, as with the Serbs unto the Bosnians - a nation created by the Ottomans.

That's what makes it so hilarious when Serbian ultranationalists go to East Ukraine to fight for the Russian minority - the situation with Russians living in a formerly ethnic Ukrainian region demanding unification with Russia is exactly the same as the Kosovar situation apart from the fact that the Russians have been in East Ukraine for about 300 years less than the Albanians in Kosovo. Serb ultranationalists are strangers to logic however.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:25:56 am by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 1100 1101 [1102] 1103 1104 ... 1393