Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1074 1075 [1076] 1077 1078 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749970 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #16125 on: April 28, 2015, 09:24:49 am »

-snip-
Why only warning shots though? It's not like sinking that boat would start a war or something.
Because the "unidentified objects" would start to shoot back.

However, against a very nearby/right on top surface vessel or a helicopter, a submarine is basically helpless. And its not like a caught one is exactly going anywhere, especially in the shallow Baltic.
Depends on the submarine :P. (not realistic scenario, I know)
._.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16126 on: April 28, 2015, 10:25:31 am »

-snip-
Why only warning shots though? It's not like sinking that boat would start a war or something.
I'm probably wrong (about this being the reason), but: Because it would be inhumane?
Taste my Paci-Fist

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16127 on: April 28, 2015, 12:20:06 pm »

-snip-
I'm probably wrong (about this being the reason), but: Because it would be inhumane?
What if they were deep sea aliums/atlanteans/merfolk?

Anyways, you don't simply shoot to kill cause trespassing, unless you are in a state of war or if they attacked first.  Well, unless its a redneck doing the shooting.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16128 on: April 28, 2015, 01:07:04 pm »

islamophobiaphobia intensifies in britain, top politician confirms plans to round up dangerous speech offenders and brand their foreheads with the letter 'I' put a nasty mark in their permanent records :D
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/general-election-2015-labour-will-toughen-hate-crimes-legislation-surrounding-islamophobia-10203918.html
Labour leader Ed Miliband has said his party will make Islamophobia an aggravated crime, toughing existing hate crime legislation.

Mr Miliband also said that his party intended to ensure that instances of Islamophobia were marked on peoples’ records, in an interview with The Muslim News.

Although Islamophobia already falls under the Racial and Religious Hatred Act of 2006, whereby it is punishable by up to seven years imprisonment, Mr Miliband’s proposal would allow authorities to hand down tougher sentences for similar crimes.

“We are going to make it an aggravated crime. We are going to make sure it is marked on people’s records with the police to make sure they root out Islamophobia as a hate crime,” he said.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #16129 on: April 28, 2015, 01:08:37 pm »

Well.

That's certainly a thing you can do.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16130 on: April 28, 2015, 01:11:06 pm »

DAM MUZZIES STEALING OUR POLTICIANS
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16131 on: April 28, 2015, 01:16:52 pm »

Red Ed is an idiot  and the UK tries to sanitize its population, what else is new?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16132 on: April 28, 2015, 03:34:35 pm »

And we have another "underwater object", this time off Helsinki. First contact was at some point in Monday(almost surely by passive sensors system), after which surface vessels were directed to the area and the "object" was caught last night. Of course everyone including the Secretary of Defense have abstained from using the word submarine, but the "object" was depth charged near the sea border (between Finnish and International waters), two times 3 shots.

Warning shots of course, but thats still a submarine chase right outside of a EU capital city. Little else is known but the "object" has apparently left the national waters now.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/merivoimat_havainnut_vedenalaisen_kohteen_helsingin_edustalla/7958858

http://yle.fi/uutiset/haglund_teoriassa_mahdollista_etta_kyseessa_on_sukellusvene/7959038

http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/201504280113525_uu.shtml

edit: possibly related, Monday was also the annual "Veterans' Day" commemorating the end of the War of Lapland in 1945. This year, for the first time after the war, the President awarded many of the veterans in various ways, a gesture that would have been impossible when USSR existed, due to all kinds of reasons. His comment on that matter went something like "wasnt it about time already?".

Heh,would not be surprised that this is the same propaganda crap that was going when Swedish  where hunting a unidentified object back in october that most medias posted was a russian submarine and later it was announced by some naval general that it was actually a workboat.
Make love not war

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16133 on: April 28, 2015, 03:48:51 pm »

Source?

-snip-
What if they were deep sea aliums/atlanteans/merfolk?

Anyways, you don't simply shoot to kill cause trespassing, unless you are in a state of war or if they attacked first.  Well, unless its a redneck doing the shooting.
Well, you don't the first time. And you don't the second time, at least if that first time was followed up with a good explanation or a sincere apology or something. By the third time you should be thinking... Enemy military in your waters is much more serious than just trespassing.

Plus you could probably (I'm no expert on military matters) shoot to 'wound', to disable and immobilize. Then you've got a captive Russian submarine crew and all the juicy, juicy intelligence from the wreckage...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16134 on: April 28, 2015, 03:55:31 pm »

Source?
http://www.thelocal.se/20150413/suspected-sub-in-swedish-waters-was-working-boat

You will not find it on big pro west medias that made all this fuss. But that is how a propaganda war works. 
Make love not war

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16135 on: April 28, 2015, 04:04:01 pm »

Read your source man, it doesn't say what you think you're saying.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16136 on: April 28, 2015, 04:13:11 pm »

Read your source man, it doesn't say what you think you're saying.

I did, did you read my post? And if you read it all the photos and similar crap turned out to be a boat. Unlike what it was said on news. They still think something happened, but normally no proofs or anything similar so far. But there was so huge buzz about this and the picture it was funny.

Now we have similar situation.
Make love not war

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16137 on: April 28, 2015, 04:19:08 pm »

polls would narrow closer to the election.

Ah the age old tradition.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16138 on: April 28, 2015, 04:55:24 pm »

Precisely. What you claimed was that the Swedish military had confirmed that there had been no Russian sub, which is clearly not the case.

Whoops, there goes the whole Evil Western Media conspiracy theory.
The Bay12 postcard club

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16139 on: April 28, 2015, 05:49:20 pm »

Heh,would not be surprised that this is the same propaganda crap that was going when Swedish  where hunting a unidentified object back in october that most medias posted was a russian submarine and later it was announced by some naval general that it was actually a workboat.

Sorry, but the times of "finlandization" in the 1950s-80s when there was a Soviet sub or an airspace violation once in a month but government, media and the military stayed quiet, are hopefully gone for good.

Also, we don't have a contact "some time ago" and a week long search. We have a contact acquired multiple times over 24 hours, found by surface vessels and tracked for for 1,5 hours(until it left the national waters presumably).
Pages: 1 ... 1074 1075 [1076] 1077 1078 ... 1393