Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 [1069] 1070 1071 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750306 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #16020 on: April 20, 2015, 03:57:27 am »

Das right mang, sex positivity is jyggy and not shyggydyggy

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16021 on: April 20, 2015, 06:58:58 am »

Who knows, perhaps his wife even gets off on watching him do cheap hookers. Voyeurism isn't restricted to males. Implying that would be sexist, and anti-feminist.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16022 on: April 20, 2015, 07:41:45 am »

Or maybe they just don't believe in strict monogamy - a priori there's nothing wrong with visiting a cheap hooker as long as your wife knows about it :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16023 on: April 20, 2015, 08:31:06 am »

Pre-determined handouts are harder to do than you think as well. Try and come up with a set of rations that will do for everyone in an entire country. You obviously want something that doesn't spoil, so any fresh food is a no-no. But what if people don't want what you're handing out. I've had charity food before. About 70% of the weight is food you will never eat.

Also, what about clothes? It's not like you can hand out "units of clothes" in any reasonable way that everyone will want.

It would be pretty easy to figure out a comprehensive system.  Pick a number of healthy items that are sold at grocery stores.  A certain number of those items are free each week for everyone.  Families with kids get a multiple.  Because they are free for everyone the black markets for rations would be very small (although not nonexistant).  As long as the ration is more then people eat in a week you dont need to worry about hording.  Because healthy foods are cheap and the infrastructure is minimal the program wouldn't cost too much.  The primary difficulties would be avoiding having food companies game the system to get more expensive foods included and avoiding backlash against free lunch welfare queens.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16024 on: April 20, 2015, 08:46:52 am »

Wouldn't it be much simpler(it'll still be a massive logistical nightmare, but a tiny bit less in certain ways) to just give each and every citizen of every class a welfare check of (insert amount here) and let them have at it as they please
Everyone gets that hand-out.  No exceptions.  No variations.  Less need to spend another few billion on overhead over fraud and being a nanny/big brother.
It'll mean nothing to the rich.  The middle class will end up spending it or putting it into savings and the poor will have their avoid-dying-like-a-homeless-dog net, plus a somewhat better chance of going up a class.

Of course, reckon there is all sorts of implications to the economy...  both positive and negative.

EDIT: Though, there is cost of living to consider, but I want to say screw that noise.  Throw in an incentive/help package for relocation to any area with lower cost of living.   Which is probably not viable in such numbers.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:53:52 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16025 on: April 20, 2015, 08:55:18 am »

... that's what a basic income is, yes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16026 on: April 20, 2015, 09:23:38 am »

Wouldn't it be much simpler(it'll still be a massive logistical nightmare, but a tiny bit less in certain ways) to just give each and every citizen of every class a welfare check of (insert amount here) and let them have at it as they please?

UBI is simpler but grocery subsidies do have some benefits that UBI dont have.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16027 on: April 20, 2015, 12:40:13 pm »

I must say, from a health perspective, free healthy food seems amazing. As a cash-strapped student, I'd be eating nothing but healthy stuff then.  :D

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16028 on: April 20, 2015, 01:46:15 pm »

I must say, from a health perspective, free healthy food seems amazing. As a cash-strapped student, I'd be eating nothing but healthy stuff then.  :D

shit, what about my kielbasa and sausages? (and bacon, but bacon is healthy!)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16029 on: April 20, 2015, 01:56:36 pm »

(and bacon, but bacon is healthy!)
Emphasis on moderation.  But hey, its your choice.  >.>
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16030 on: April 21, 2015, 05:40:39 am »

This alll waffing about Basic Income (BI) for being alive is cute and all, but I wonder about one thing: from where you want to get money for that? Without answering that question it all is just intellectual masturbation.

Everyone gets that hand-out.
Anyone means very big incentive to spawn children. Even if by some insane miracle your country could afford BI now, it surely as hell will not be able to maintain BI after few decades of endless multiplying.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16031 on: April 21, 2015, 06:07:55 am »

We've got problems with how little children we have (or have I imagined all this lamentation about how little offspring we have?), so incentive for more children should be a good thing, right?

The money you get by getting rid of all kinds of special treatments (like social welfare, pension and stuff like that). This frees up lots of money which now is spent on administration and bookkeeping.

endless multiplying.
Ever heard about how caring for children is plenty stressful, no matter how much money you have? In reality money isn't a replacement for work and children also are very expensive. In terms of pay/work it's much more efficient to do something else instead of raising children.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16032 on: April 21, 2015, 07:01:25 am »

The money you get by getting rid of all kinds of special treatments (like social welfare, pension and stuff like that). This frees up lots of money which now is spent on administration and bookkeeping.
Plus you can just raise taxes on those who don't really need BI, so they won't feel a difference at all. So yeah, money's not  the problem.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16033 on: April 21, 2015, 07:22:55 am »

I had a brief discussion with someone on the election results yesterday. Unsurprisingly Mr. Hakkarainen was brought up(that uneducated, drunk, chauvinist racist bum from True Finns), and I jokingly said hes probably considered qualified for a minister's seat. One agreed: Hakkarainen could for example get become the minister for Land and Forest Economies. He was dead serious, and explained me multiple times how someone who has lived off forest business is more qualified than anyone who has ever held the same position; he would have "seen trees out of textbooks too". I voiced my actual opinion on him and also called him a clown, only to get attacked by everyone with insults on what were guessed to be my values and parties voted and provocation.

Idiots like me together with gays and women should be prevented from being able to vote. I would also probably sell the entire nation to black people and Arabs. We are all commie hippies and nothing good ever came from the likes of me.

And I only recently considered those very people reasonable. Incredible.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16034 on: April 21, 2015, 07:29:16 am »

That's some heavy stuff. :-\
Taste my Paci-Fist
Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 [1069] 1070 1071 ... 1393