Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1003 1004 [1005] 1006 1007 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749552 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #15060 on: March 02, 2015, 09:48:56 pm »

Ed Miliband has announced his party plan on cutting English tuition fees to £6,000 from their current £9,000. George Kerevan, writing in the National, argues fees should be scrapped entirely and funded with a wealth tax, lest our economy suffocate and expire under a mountain of private debt, as the fee-based system used by the Americans will likely lead to in the States in coming decades.
I can't really disagree with that. Both because fees being gone would be in my best interest, and less cynically because the article's right. I know a bunch of people who, despite being very much capable and would benefit from it, are put off from pursuing a university education because of the costs. And likewise graduates in debt that they're not reasonably going to pay off.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15061 on: March 02, 2015, 10:10:17 pm »

Offering to lower tuition fees is pointless. Either you earn buckets-o-cash after graduating and the extra few thousand isn't noticeable in the long-run, or (like me) you never foresee paying it off and rarely (if ever) make payments. Only making it completely free (again!) would improve the system.

Any would-be students in the UK who are put off by the supposed costs haven't understood the system at all. You get given loads of free money that you only maybe have to pay back when you're earning money. It may be a de jure tuition fees system but it's actually a de facto graduate tax.

If they just phrased the whole thing more clearly people wouldn't be so put off.

What would be good though is making post-grad fees cheaper or allowing new student loans to cover them. Not everyone (in humanities at least) can get a grant, leaving further study to those who already have money.

Also, (and I know it's their main money spinner) but it's outrageous how much universities charge foreign students. I don't know how the crooks in university upper-management sleep at night.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15062 on: March 02, 2015, 10:21:59 pm »

What graduate schools require US citizenship?  Mine sure doesn't, nor did my best friends.  I've heard that Barkley graduate programs are a finish school for young Asian scions.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15063 on: March 02, 2015, 10:27:00 pm »

What graduate schools require US citizenship?  Mine sure doesn't, nor did my best friends.  I've heard that Barkley graduate programs are a finish school for young Asian scions.
He said that the scholarships require US Citizenship, not the school itself.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15064 on: March 02, 2015, 10:31:44 pm »

I think before we start introducing scholarships for international students we should work on making it so more domestic students can afford programs.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15065 on: March 03, 2015, 02:31:20 am »

Re: the whole Putin thing, if this was the first time that opposition figures were murdered, I could give him the benefit of the doubt. We still don't know who ordered the Politovskaya murder, or Litvinenko, or others I can remember now...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15066 on: March 03, 2015, 04:11:52 am »

For that note, we still don't know who ordered Kennedy's murder.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15067 on: March 03, 2015, 04:23:46 am »

Boris Nemtsov. Anna Politkovskaya, Galina Starovoitova, Igor Domnikov, Iskandar Khatloni, Sergei Yushenkov, Yuri Shchekochikhin, Paul Klebnikov, Alexander Litvinenko, and this list doesn't include those that ended up in jails or died from suspicious incidents...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15068 on: March 03, 2015, 04:59:49 am »

And we do know who ordered the murder of Trotsky - you see why going back a few decades is kinda pointless?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15069 on: March 03, 2015, 06:35:36 am »

Tu quoque fallacies are considered fallacious for a reason.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15070 on: March 03, 2015, 07:08:39 am »

wasnt kennedy like, the president?

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #15071 on: March 03, 2015, 07:12:57 am »

I though he was a doughnut.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15072 on: March 03, 2015, 07:56:59 am »

Nemtsov's death made me sad... Murder itself is bad. Lack of any meaningful reaction in Russian society is even worse. Not that it is surprising... After all no one gives a shit about Russian soldiers(volunteers if you wish) killed in Ukraine.

I predict that we will see the same reaction will be when millions will go through GULAG 2.0 and\or when people will start to disappear 1930s style
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15073 on: March 03, 2015, 08:03:34 am »

1930s style?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:11:15 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 1003 1004 [1005] 1006 1007 ... 1393