Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 984 985 [986] 987 988 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748443 times)

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #14775 on: February 06, 2015, 04:10:01 pm »

Hungarian politics goes full throttle:
Lajos Simicska, 20 year long friend of Viktor Orbán and party oligarch, was getting into more and more conflicts with Orbán to the point where he declared a media war against the government (He holds most of the Fidesz[Orbán's party] friendly media). In return the leaders of his media group resigned as an act of loyalty towards Fidesz. Lajos Simicska's response: “Viktor Orbán is a piece of jizz.” in an interview and continues to give more, filled with curses and slurs directed at the Fidesz connected people.

Other sources seem to ignore the slurs thrown around. Probably because it's hard to translate to English without sounding completely silly as the example shows. I myself would have probably translated it as fuckery fuck fucker bastard.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14776 on: February 06, 2015, 06:52:27 pm »

Glad to hear that Orbán has finally started gaining enemies; infighting within Fidesz should be good news for everybody else. Here's to hoping that the party splits apart before the next elections.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14777 on: February 07, 2015, 02:20:34 pm »

So in today's installment of "Let's mock the French derpy reaction to a terrorist attack", Paris ban actions movie shooting, in case someone mistake them for a real attack or something.
It's like it just doesn't stop.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14778 on: February 07, 2015, 03:11:38 pm »

There's an old saying in Scotland that in places like Glasgow or Fife if you put a monkey with a red rosette on it people would vote for it. It doesn't matter how terrible they were, they'd get voted in just because they were Labour. The quality of our Labour politicians in Scotland has been pretty terrible in general as a result, getting gradually worse over time since WW2.

If the SNP actually manage to make the enormous gains that the polls are indicating is possible, that wretched old tradition in Labour heartlands of blindly voting Labour because it's what your dad did and his dad (women would just vote the way their husbands told them to - even now that's still the case with some old people) may be all but extinct.

In light of such recent revelations, a pro-independence online cartoonist has drawn this:

Spoiler: "The Last Monkey" (click to show/hide)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14779 on: February 07, 2015, 03:53:20 pm »

Scotland will probably go into a Quebec like situation.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14780 on: February 07, 2015, 06:04:55 pm »

Scotland will probably go into a Quebec like situation.

What do you mean Quebec-like? The neverendum scenario (always coming within 5% of winning and always the threat of secession, gradually reducing over time) or in terms of political division? Because I'd heard Scotland being compared to Northern Ireland more than Quebec these days. You know, politics will be divided along constitutional lines rather than socio-economic.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #14781 on: February 07, 2015, 08:45:42 pm »

There's an old saying in Scotland that in places like Glasgow or Fife if you put a monkey with a red rosette on it people would vote for it. It doesn't matter how terrible they were, they'd get voted in just because they were Labour. The quality of our Labour politicians in Scotland has been pretty terrible in general as a result, getting gradually worse over time since WW2.

Funny, my dad said the exact same thing.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14782 on: February 07, 2015, 09:37:20 pm »

What do you mean Quebec-like?

I mean voting for the regional party.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14783 on: February 08, 2015, 06:30:50 am »

Well, Scotland going full on SNP and NI being the political patchwork quilt it is could lend much more weight to a "federal" UK (which I shall henceforth label as the fUK), should those of us in Wales see beyond blindly voting in lots of Labour MP's and go Plaid. SNP, Plaid and the main NI parties could together have enough clout (say, a few dozen MP's) to prop up a minority government with the goal to establish some better deal for us junior partners in the "union".
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14784 on: February 08, 2015, 07:01:03 am »

What do you mean Quebec-like?

I mean voting for the regional party.

I think a much better comparison is NI in that case because the federal model in Canada doesn't really compare well to the unitary UK. We already vote SNP at Scottish Parliament elections anyway.

But yeah, NI is effectively independent from the UK in terms of politicians because no UK party tries to stand there. They leave it up to local ones. I would dearly like that for Scotland, but Labour will always be a branch office here.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:06:17 am by Owlbread »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14785 on: February 08, 2015, 07:02:57 am »

We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14786 on: February 08, 2015, 12:52:48 pm »

Glad to hear that Orbán has finally started gaining enemies; infighting within Fidesz should be good news for everybody else. Here's to hoping that the party splits apart before the next elections.

Well it's hard to say whether Lajos Simicska will be our Khodorkovsky or Poroshenko. The worst situation would be if America armed him with an M16 and he would go on a shooting rampage, luckily this is the least likely.

Though I'm not very optimistic that this will change anything, I mean it's certainly a good thing that the political waters have been stirred up a bit but my gut feeling is that in this scenario state trumps money.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14787 on: February 10, 2015, 04:26:08 pm »

A new round of negotiations between representatives of Russia, Novorossiya, Ukraine and the OSCE has concluded in Minsk, Belarus. Details are scarce, there are rumours claiming that the creation of a DMZ and the deployment of an international peacekeeping force are among the proposals currently being discussed by the opposing parties.
Tomorrow, the leaders of France, Germany, Russia and Ukraine will arrive in Minsk to conduct negotiations on the war in Ukraine.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14788 on: February 10, 2015, 08:34:31 pm »

It's in situations like this that an independent Scotland, a country with no side to take on the Ukrainian Crisis, could have contributed experienced peace keeping troops to any UN operation over there. We'd probably achieve more with that single act in trying to help the people of Ukraine than the UK has done in the past 5 years. Instead it'll probably be the Dutch or something as usual, and Scottish troops will still be faffing around in the middle east somewhere.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14789 on: February 10, 2015, 08:48:15 pm »

Come on! You'd have sides to take! That's politics. The politicians would have one side they'd prefer (probably Ukraine because big bad scary RussiaTM was the aggressor) and support them. They'd be as neutral as hydrochloric acid.

Yes, personally I do consider Russia to be the aggressor in this conflict but I don't think we really need to take a side here in the same way that Norway hasn't exactly been a pro-NATO cheerleader on this one - they just kept quiet. Far better that we would keep quiet too and stay outwardly neutral so that we could help make a difference in Ukraine.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:22:33 pm by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 984 985 [986] 987 988 ... 1393