Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 901 902 [903] 904 905 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1759306 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #13530 on: December 17, 2014, 02:25:12 pm »

Belgium has no tanks. We're phasing them out, combined with all other tracked vehicles.

And since the army has to deal with a minor austerity program at the same time (IIRC, 33% budget cut), it also means we won't really have vehicles to move using our fancy new transport craft.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13531 on: December 17, 2014, 02:26:07 pm »

a minor austerity program

33% budget cut
wot
._.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13532 on: December 17, 2014, 05:21:57 pm »

And when the UK wanted to investigate a possible submarine contact off its coast recently they discovered that they've scrapped all their maritime patrol aircraft.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13533 on: December 17, 2014, 05:41:43 pm »

The US military could use an austerity program to rattle it into better shape or something.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13534 on: December 17, 2014, 07:28:58 pm »

Yeah, the us military budget is a little more than the GDP of Belgium ...
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13535 on: December 17, 2014, 07:39:41 pm »

How do you think European countries keep such low military budgets?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13536 on: December 17, 2014, 07:42:07 pm »

How do you think European countries keep such low military budgets?
Yeah, this is the sole reason I'm against any cuts to the US military budget.

Soldiers costs money, yo. It's better if the US pays for most of it :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13537 on: December 18, 2014, 02:15:29 am »

Bullshit, the only possible threat to Europe is Russia (I mean, it's the only country we border), and as a whole we outspend them several time.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13538 on: December 18, 2014, 02:21:21 am »

That we most certainly do. I would feel a lot more secure if that wasn't spend on a couple dozen different little armies though.

Not that integration isn't happening, but it seems to happen so slowly.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13539 on: December 18, 2014, 04:39:38 am »

No worries yet NATO, we are holding your north-eastern flank with a war time strength of 350,000 and Europe's largest artillery.

These tables may be interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13540 on: December 18, 2014, 07:11:20 am »

Bullshit, the only possible threat to Europe is Russia (I mean, it's the only country we border), and as a whole we outspend them several time.
We outspend them, but throwing cash at Russian soldiers is not a valid military strategy. There's a huge amount of wastage, and let's not forget that salaries in the EU are much higher than in Russia. If war broke out right now, those numbers wouldn't be mmuch of a comfort for me.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13541 on: December 18, 2014, 07:21:17 am »

True, but my point was that we're already spending enough. What the bloated US budget allow us to do is to waste that spending and not worry too much about integrating European armies.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13542 on: December 18, 2014, 07:21:40 am »

The only threat of invasion. There are more threats, to be sure; and not all European nations share the same threats.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13543 on: December 18, 2014, 07:24:12 am »

The fact that we ouspend them several times over mean that the funding isn't the problem, not that we'd win. Without an unified army, we're at a big disadvantage, and I don't know how ready we are for a conventional war. Could we even supply our troops with enough ammunistions? I recall that it became a problem in Lybia.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13544 on: December 18, 2014, 08:18:56 am »

The fact that we ouspend them several times over mean that the funding isn't the problem, not that we'd win. Without an unified army, we're at a big disadvantage, and I don't know how ready we are for a conventional war. Could we even supply our troops with enough ammunistions? I recall that it became a problem in Lybia.
How are we at a big disadvantage? Europe forms coalitions at the bat of an eyelid and has been doing so for a hell of a long time. Even got historic precedents for it. Logistics wasn't an issue, no one was running out of ammunition except maybe rebel sleeper cells. The issue was public support, this was one of the first military interventions where the US populace who were sick of military intervention were finally reaching majority. Between Britain and France you already have 400,000 of the best soldiers in the world with both nations heavily invested in power projection. Its intelligence services are world class, navies are world class, air forces are world class, its special forces are used as models for the rest of the world's special forces all over, its fleet auxiliary is superb and its soldiers are the veterans of many recent wars.
Russia's military is formidable but I never trust in the strength of an army if the majority are conscripts.
Though I suppose one thing to factor in is that Western Europe's relationship with their army is complicated. Russian pride in power is ostensible enough but Western Europeans tend to be caught between shame and indifference with their armed forces, wishing to cut it down to a smaller reservist force, or pride and support, wishing to increase the defence budget and its active force. It's in a vary precarious position.
Pages: 1 ... 901 902 [903] 904 905 ... 1393