Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 877 878 [879] 880 881 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1758804 times)

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #13170 on: November 28, 2014, 06:27:26 am »

I think I'll join this thread I've lurked for a while by saying that the Finnish Parliament is going to vote on gender-neutral marriage law starting about 2 hours from now. There have been many voices on both sides of the issue, and the vote is expected to be a very close one.
Just went trough.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13171 on: November 28, 2014, 06:29:38 am »

It means consent applies to the moment it is given in. Consent only last as long as there's consenting.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13172 on: November 28, 2014, 06:33:51 am »

https://contemporaryfamilies.org/impact-of-conservative-protestantism-on-regional-divorce-rates/
one of the strongest factors predicting divorce rates (per 1000 married couples) is the concentration of conservative or evangelical Protestants in that county.
Maybe it's poverty then?
even controlling for income and region, divorce rates tend to be especially high in areas where conservative religious groups are prominent.

It turns out that people who simply live in counties with high proportions of religious conservatives are also more likely to divorce than their counterparts elsewhere.
Nope, it's not correlated with income. Just living near conservatives is enough to make you despise your fellow humans enough to get divorced.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13173 on: November 28, 2014, 06:37:16 am »

I'd imagine if you push for people never divorcing and also behave like a reactionary, you get reverse psychology-ed in the face.

These guys really should study more psychology if they want to stay relevant in the new world.
._.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #13174 on: November 28, 2014, 06:56:41 am »

92 Yea (Keep old legislation), 105 Nay (Amend the law to be gender-neutral), 0 empty, 2 didn't vote.

So yeah, it's now legal to marry regardless of gender in Finland. Whether the Church will bless said marriages is another question, though.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13175 on: November 28, 2014, 06:59:53 am »

...why "yea" vote is "keep the old legislation"?

Sounds weird.
._.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13176 on: November 28, 2014, 07:01:18 am »

And voting closed. 105-92 (2 absent) for the new law for a gender-neutral marriage which means it'll get passed to be possibly reformed and tweaked before another round of voting.

fakedit:

92 Yea (Keep old legislation), 105 Nay (Amend the law to be gender-neutral), 0 empty, 2 didn't vote.

So yeah, it's now legal to marry regardless of gender in Finland. Whether the Church will bless said marriages is another question, though.

Not quite yet. It can still fall in the second voting which will probably be in 6 months or so.

...why "yea" vote is "keep the old legislation"?

Sounds weird.

Because the vote was for abandoning the law.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #13177 on: November 28, 2014, 07:01:39 am »

The vote was for the objection to the law proposal. Yes, it doesn't make sense.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Yannanth

« Reply #13178 on: November 28, 2014, 07:18:43 am »

There is, it's called polyamory.
Actually, it would be polygamy, not polyamory. Polyamory is multiple relationships, polygamy is multiple marriages (like for Muslim men and in this tribe in Kenya among other societies).

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13179 on: November 28, 2014, 10:01:33 am »

There is, it's called polyamory.
Actually, it would be polygamy, not polyamory. Polyamory is multiple relationships, polygamy is multiple marriages (like for Muslim men and in this tribe in Kenya among other societies).
The people advocating for it use the term polyamory to distance themselves from groups like Mormons and conservative Muslims.

It's seen as a more neutral term, compared to polygamy which is seen as a male-dominated term.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13180 on: November 28, 2014, 10:40:28 am »

Polygamy means one man, several women! The distaff counterpart is polygyny - I'm not aware of any gender-neutral form.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13181 on: November 28, 2014, 10:45:08 am »

polyamory is probably as close to a gender-neutral term as it gets.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13182 on: November 28, 2014, 10:49:37 am »

Well, just going by definitions: polygamy = gender neutral term for multiple marriage, polyandry = Multiple men, polygyny = multiple women, polyamory = relationship-centered instead of marriage.

But in terms of actual use, most people have never heard of the latter three, they mainly think of Muslim and Mormon multiple-women marriages when they hear polygamy, and the (generally liberal) people who advocate for allowing multiple-person relationships use the term polyamory.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:52:43 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13183 on: November 28, 2014, 01:54:14 pm »

Also, while making marriage gender-neutral is pretty straightforward (Actually, it's simpler than the old form), opening marriage to polyamourous relationships would be extremely complicated, from a purely legal point of view.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13184 on: November 28, 2014, 07:45:53 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/france-recognize-palestinian-state-peace-efforts-fail-112100561.html
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Viva La France!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:47:29 pm by Wolfhunter107 »
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?
Pages: 1 ... 877 878 [879] 880 881 ... 1393