Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878 879 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1758741 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #13140 on: November 22, 2014, 09:11:47 pm »

The SNP just had a kind of conference-event-thing today where 12,000 Nationalists turned up at the Hydro in Glasgow. It was originally to hear Nicola Sturgeon giving her last speech of her Rockstar tour around the country. Given that literally thousands of people were turning up at relatively minor events along the way and the SNP membership was exploding they apparently decided to make a big fuss of all the members and turn the final event into a quasi-concert.

Rather than it just being Sturgeon herself speaking, there were numerous bands and musicians - such as a bagpipe-playing cover band called the Red Hot Chili Pipers who played a bagpipe version of "Don't Stop Believing" (yes, really) and of course my favourite Scottish alternative hip hop group Stanley Odd. I heard people say that you could hear a pin drop during their performance of "Son, I Voted Yes". Many manly bravehearted tears were shed. Alex Salmond also spoke and got so many cheers and standing ovations that it's impossible to keep track. He could start talking about wallpaper and he'd get a standing ovation. Sturgeon herself was great, if a bit overwhelmed by the enormity of it all. By doing "The Hydro" she's following in the footsteps of Beyonce, remember.

I should add that the left-wing Radical Independence group had a conference on the other side of Glasgow at the same time attended by 3000. That means 15,000 people were at political events today in Glasgow at a time when political apathy is endemic. 15,000 independence supporters, I should add. More people were at those events today than the entire membership of the Scottish Labour Party, which is less than 14,000. The SNP currently have 92,000. To put that in perspective the Conservative Party has 130,000 members UK-wide across an electorate of 50 million+. That means this is the equivalent of the SNP having at least million members UK wide.

And this is from a movement that lost. What strange times.

Here is Buzzfeed's take on it. I particularly enjoyed this quote:

Quote from: BuzzfeedUK
As one SNP member joked as the arena was emptying: "David Cameron could only attract an audience like this if he was being hanged."
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:13:20 pm by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13141 on: November 22, 2014, 09:57:51 pm »

Hanging David Cameron would be a bad idea. As a cosmic horror, he most likely does not have any real need to breath and such a clear attack on his avatar might result in him assuming his True Form.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13142 on: November 22, 2014, 10:06:03 pm »

Hanging David Cameron would be a bad idea. As a cosmic horror, he most likely does not have any real need to breath and such a clear attack on his avatar might result in him assuming his True Form.
But that means that a plucky band of protagonists can go ahead and kill that. That's pretty much the MO for defeating most of these things nowadays.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #13143 on: November 23, 2014, 04:27:35 pm »

But that means that a plucky band of protagonists can go ahead and kill that. That's pretty much the MO for defeating most of these things nowadays.

Who's up for a bout of Politician Slaying? I'll have the Salmon Dinner, Farage Fries and Cameron Clams.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13144 on: November 23, 2014, 04:33:50 pm »

Also, lots of left-wing people here often post videos of Farage's interventions in the EP,because they don't actually know about him, just like his euroscepticism.
That happened to me: I was staying with some pretty radical vegan Greeks and they showed me a video of Farage in parliament.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13145 on: November 23, 2014, 05:12:26 pm »

Who's up for a bout of Politician Slaying? I'll have the Salmon Dinner, Farage Fries and Cameron Clams.
If you make the game, I'll submit a char sheet.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13146 on: November 23, 2014, 05:43:16 pm »

Would this be Call of Cthulhu?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13147 on: November 25, 2014, 01:20:26 pm »

Aye. Worse still, it would summon the BORIS.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13148 on: November 25, 2014, 03:27:54 pm »

Aye. Worse still, it would summon the BORIS.
But he's so lovable...
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13149 on: November 26, 2014, 01:42:23 pm »

RIDE THE BIKES
MAKE THE BUSES
RUB THE RHUBARBS

THEN HE ASCENDS

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13150 on: November 27, 2014, 03:49:45 pm »

#ThingsThatAreNotMosques

Google it

Ukip is hilarious
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13151 on: November 27, 2014, 04:33:51 pm »

To be fair though, UKIP did have a point there.

That bbc poll would never come close to any proper scientific polling practices. For all points and purposes, the data is garbage.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13152 on: November 27, 2014, 05:01:11 pm »

To be fair though, UKIP did have a point there.

That bbc poll would never come close to any proper scientific polling practices. For all points and purposes, the data is garbage.
I don't think the BBC claimed their poll was properly scientific? It doesn't matter if the data was usable or not

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13153 on: November 27, 2014, 05:04:12 pm »

The fact that you show a poll to the public implies that the data is meaningfull, UKIP was completely in their right to say that it doesn't mean anything whatsoever.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #13154 on: November 28, 2014, 04:01:16 am »

I think I'll join this thread I've lurked for a while by saying that the Finnish Parliament is going to vote on gender-neutral marriage law starting about 2 hours from now. There have been many voices on both sides of the issue, and the vote is expected to be a very close one.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878 879 ... 1393