Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1758723 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #13125 on: November 22, 2014, 04:09:48 pm »

So the west is to blame for these livings standards because, what, they invented time travel and traveled back into the 70s and told the Soviets to fuck up their economy?

Post-Soviet industries were making products who's market value was below the cost of their inputs.  So great was the inefficiency that even if the capital and labor were free these industries wouldn't have been viable.  It was a bubble except instead of it being a bubble driven by capitalist speculation it was a bubble driven by government directive to keep having more and more heavy industry without care to whether it was actually needed or not.  Somewhere in the 70s they hit the point where they just dont need this stuff but they keep making it anyway because it was a successful strategy in the past.  Even after a sharp collapse in the industrial workforce the Russian economy still was leading the OECD in percentage of workforce in industry.

Oh but hey let's just kneejerk blame the foreigners.  It's worked elsewhere.  In China they blamed the Great Famine on the Soviets.  It wasn't that the Great Leap Forward created a collapse in agricultural output, no it was that the damn perfidious Soviets took all the money.  Always easier to just blame the foreigners.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 04:16:35 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13126 on: November 22, 2014, 04:17:07 pm »

You are trying to explain that to the guy who thinks that Heavy industry is the only way to bring prosperity to a nation and loves his dictator for keeping that old and inefficient industry working in Belarus
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13127 on: November 22, 2014, 04:22:08 pm »

I was like that some time before.

Then I realized that heavy machinery requires ridiculous logistics chains that reduce it's ability to modernize by about 9001% percent because it employs so many people and hosts so many bloodsucker bureaucrats.

New industry should not require huge-ass logistical chains if it wants to avoid these problems.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13128 on: November 22, 2014, 05:01:56 pm »

There's something to be said for unified supply chains and economies of scale.  You just need to have a need to justify all the expense.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13129 on: November 22, 2014, 05:21:33 pm »

Well, we do have one potential need which can necessitate much expenses and can potentially bring many, many benefits to Russia.

That is, developing Siberia. And not in "throw prisoners at it" way. The technological way. It would require building arcologies, cheap air transportation vehicles and so on... but it would be so much worth it.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13130 on: November 22, 2014, 05:23:18 pm »

But Russia spends that money on nearly useless stuff like Olympic Games or annexing Crimea
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13131 on: November 22, 2014, 05:25:10 pm »

The current government isn't very interested in actually developing the country, since they get most of the profits from exporting crude oil and gas.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13132 on: November 22, 2014, 05:36:27 pm »

That is the main problem of Russia.... But I would rephrase it: There are no active nation to force current government to spend money in effective manner

You said that there are no democracy because Russian can't trust politicians... I have a directly opposite opinion. Democracy is possible only when enough citizens believe that every politician is a bastard and must be forced to behave in a proper way.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13133 on: November 22, 2014, 05:46:37 pm »

That only works when the politicians can be forced to do something.

It doesn't work out in dictatures. At all. In a proper dictature a la China the Maidan would be crushed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square_protests_of_1989

Hell, the Chinese protesters even used burning vehicles to set up barricades, just like Ukrainian protesters used burning tires for the same purpose!

The only reason why the Maidan against Yanuk succeded was because he was (and still is) an incredibly incompetent coward who compromised all the time without actually sticking with everything, changing his sides every single year and being as corrupt as one can get.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13134 on: November 22, 2014, 06:04:10 pm »

Do you think that if Yanuk would go full Tiananmen with not hundred but thousands dead Ukrainians would simply shut up and forget the whole thing?

BTW, I suspect that Yanuk gave order to bring in tanks  but that order was ignored by the army. Then he hastily ran away.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13135 on: November 22, 2014, 06:21:35 pm »

The Chinese didn't have mass revolts after Tiananmen Square, they just shut up and forgot about it ("Youth in China are generally unaware of the events that took place, the symbols such as tank man,[213] or even the date June 4 itself."). Probably because they didn't want to die at the hands of military.

What makes you think Ukrainians are different?
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13136 on: November 22, 2014, 06:25:23 pm »

For starter, most Chinese didn't hear about Tiananmen, the Communist party controlled information in a way that Yanukovitch simply couldn't emulate.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13137 on: November 22, 2014, 06:31:50 pm »

Also Tiananmen was a quasi-middle class revolt that was shut down by a military recruited from poor rural areas.  Ukraine doesn't have a supply of hundreds of millions of illiterate peasant farmers like that.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13138 on: November 22, 2014, 06:34:54 pm »

Well, you had a similar class elements here, with Maidan supporters being more middle-class, and their opponents being industrial workers from the East.

Remember the Donbass miners that fought with Orange protesters?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13139 on: November 22, 2014, 06:39:53 pm »

That's a pretty small potatoes division compared to the gulf at Tienanmen.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 1393