Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1758070 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12705 on: November 08, 2014, 03:22:55 pm »

Latin is a dead language because of migration, though. So no, this would be false.

Gaelic is also nearly dead because of migration, but Gaelic never had state protection. Latin didn't really die though - it just evolved into new languages.
Into multiple different languages. So the postulate about not having to change the state language over migration is not really correct.

P.S. A language which must have a state protection for it to survive is not a language truly alive.
._.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12706 on: November 08, 2014, 03:29:12 pm »

Sock, I'm flattered, but sadly I do not speak Kölsch.
:o
Consider my jaw dropped.  ;)

@Owlbread

I'm going to mess up with the huge quotes, so just a few points:

- If you cite Arabic as an example, then there is no reason to split up the German speaking regions, the differences between German dialects (as they are spoken today) are not larger than between the various forms of Arabic, probably even less pronounced in comparison. If you cite Pan-Arabic movements, there have been Pan-Germanic and Pan-Slavic movements as well, and we don't really want that again, do we.

- There are differences with regional and historic names, Franconia usually today means a territory that is - very roughly - the northern part of today's state of Bavaria. People from the Rhineland, the Palatinate or Hesse do speak Franconian dialects, but there isn't really such thing as a Franconian identity there, rather you have different territorial/regional identities. I'm not even sure the Franconian identity in Bavaria is much more than a regional identity, in no way comparable to the Austrian identity, which is much stronger (and separate from "German"), due to history. If you want identities above a certain level of dialect, "German" is a fully functional one, much more than say "British".

- Lower Saxony is a historical name, from the ancient Saxons. People there spoke Low German, which has mostly died out. The modern Saxon dialects are High German dialects spoken in (roughly) Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and parts of Thuringia.

- With the Kurds I was thinking about the isolated Kurdish population in Eastern Iran. There is no way you could have a Kurdistan that includes all Kurdish areas, as geographically isolated as they are, just one that includes the majority.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:32:11 pm by XXSockXX »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12707 on: November 08, 2014, 03:33:33 pm »

You see - I explained to Helgoland a while ago that I was wary of trying to split up Germany because it would lead to situations like this. My head is currently exploding.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12708 on: November 08, 2014, 03:42:30 pm »

You see - I explained to Helgoland a while ago that I was wary of trying to split up Germany because it would lead to situations like this. My head is currently exploding.
Yeah, identities are complicated stuff... Germany has strong regional identities, that follow several layers of dialectal, historical, religious and political divisions, which may or may not be overlapping sometimes, but I don't think any of them is strong enough to be considered as relevant as the overall national identity. With the increased mobility and centralisation in the last centuries, regional differences are shrinking too, sometimes quite noticeably, with many dialects being no longer spoken in their heaviest varieties and rather becoming accents.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12709 on: November 08, 2014, 03:50:03 pm »

Latin is a dead language because of migration, though. So no, this would be false.

Gaelic is also nearly dead because of migration, but Gaelic never had state protection. Latin didn't really die though - it just evolved into new languages.
Into multiple different languages. So the postulate about not having to change the state language over migration is not really correct.

P.S. A language which must have a state protection for it to survive is not a language truly alive.
State protection is way insufficient to stop immigration. In Belgium we have some of the world strictest laws on that, and yet many of the  past fully flemish communities on the language border have slowly turned walloonian. Mainly the area surrounding bruxelles. Still, shows what 50 years can do

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12710 on: November 08, 2014, 05:23:58 pm »

My head is currently exploding.
German history - messing with nationalists since 1815!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12711 on: November 08, 2014, 05:31:18 pm »

*Breaking news*
Germany re-divides into city states; 300 nations to be added to the UN. Emergency construction has began to accommodate.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12712 on: November 08, 2014, 05:34:50 pm »

Cue all the ex-Germany forming a Holy Roman Empire.

They know they want it, for even the currently ruling party in Germany is named Christian Democratic Union of Germany.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12713 on: November 08, 2014, 05:40:46 pm »

They know they want it, for even the currently ruling party in Germany is named Christian Democratic Union of Germany.
It's just like my vidyas. All the world divides into smaller, easily conquerable city states just ripe for the picking: The invincible ring of portugal shall rise again!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #12714 on: November 08, 2014, 05:42:52 pm »

Heh, isn't Germany's current power based upon the union brought on by...Prussia, was it?

Anyway, it wouldn't have gone anywhere without that union. There also wouldn't have been the World War, or at least a different version of one, but that's beside the point-all nations as they are today are based around union. That's what made them great. England, for example, gained security by letting a Scottish king on their throne in the form of James I. That's a mutually beneficial union. If you start splitting everything into component parts, you jeopardise their integrity.  Not to mention the political nightmare that would ensue with so many new countries vying with their parents and other countries for power.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12715 on: November 08, 2014, 05:45:09 pm »

Kaiser Merkel. Anyone up for shipping her with Elizabeth II?

Ninjaedit: German unification was in the air back then. If it hadn't been Prussia, it would've been Austria. If you want to change history to prevent German unification, you need to stop Napoleon.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12716 on: November 08, 2014, 05:49:31 pm »

It's always the French's fault somewhere.

I also thought you literally meant shipping Merkel away [with?] Elizabeth. Now that's not a bad idea either.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 05:51:09 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12717 on: November 08, 2014, 05:50:57 pm »

Kaiser Merkel. Anyone up for shipping her with Elizabeth II?
It is horrifying.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12718 on: November 08, 2014, 05:52:24 pm »

The ship or her empire-ness?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #12719 on: November 08, 2014, 05:52:51 pm »

It's always the French's fault somewhere.

Indeed.

Who's up for a retaking of Calais?! After that's sorted, who wants some of that nice Alsace-Lorraine?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 1393