Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1757872 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12525 on: November 03, 2014, 01:27:56 am »

Civillian? Could be greenpeace, but they wouldn't really keep quiet about it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12526 on: November 03, 2014, 01:30:55 am »

Yeah, so it could be anything, from another green organisation, to prankster, to curious people trying to get dramatic footage of the inside of a cooling tower.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12527 on: November 03, 2014, 01:42:50 am »

Politics and the Russian textbook market. Quite worrying if you think about the implications twenty years down the line.

Nationalization of the textbook market already happened in Hungary. If Putin doesn't step up his game he will be called Russia's big Orbán.

Funny fact: right before Donald Tusk (I love how he is the only Polish politician that doesn't get underlined by my English spellchecker) become The Glorious President of the Even More Glorious European Union, he... Nationalized the textbook market. Hey, maybe Putin is big Tusk? Or Tusk is slightly-larger Orban?
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12528 on: November 03, 2014, 01:48:58 am »

I did say wild and random guess.

It sounded like you were talking about the military type drones and I seriously doubt Greenpeace would be able to get their hands on one.

It's REALLY not likely to be the US because we could just use our spysats, which would be much more discreet if we actually wanted to do that, we have no real reason to spy on the nuke plants, AND we have that whole NSA spying scandal, why risk another one. Plus Obama probably has to okay that kind of stuff.

Radical Islamists would probably just divebomb the drone into the nuclear power plant and they'd have a LOT of territory to cross before they got to france.

Putin..... MAYBE, but again, theres a good deal of territory to cross (he could do a loop around the North Sea, but I don't know about flight time) and theres no rational reason for him to spy on the nuke plants with drones.

France should just shoot down the next one and find out who the heck owns it. Though now that Hollande (the French president) has said that publicily, whoever is behind it might wise up and stop.

You are assuming the drones have to fly all the way out there. What would make more sense, is that whomever flies them, first brings them to France inside the trunk of his car, past any uncontrolled Schengen borders (The EU is a paradise for organised crime / weapons traffic / illegal human trade, because of no border controls) that need to be crossed, then unloads it from his trunk a few km away from the plant, and throws it into the air. You know, like the backpack recon drones used by special forces.
Or they could probably even have a drone delivered to their France home adress, by UPS.
The drones in question here were small drones, too small to carry any payload. The frequency of the flights, and the several nuclear plants targeted over a longer period of time, have mostly ruled out kids or pranksters though.
The main problem is, if those small drones can slip past security, larger drones will be able to as well.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:07:28 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12529 on: November 03, 2014, 02:11:31 am »

Russian-Ukrainian border yesterday.

Dunno, is that habit of not leaving a 30-40 m gap between each vehicle some Russian thing? I've seen it before several times now, and also in the pictures of destroyed convoys. Actually, that is the norm in almost every picture with multiple vehicles. Neither side seems to be very professional(except some of the Russian artillery in the satellite pics).

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #12530 on: November 03, 2014, 02:44:37 am »

Here's a BBC article regarding those French drones.

It's dated 31st October. Geez, you guys are slow. :v
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12531 on: November 03, 2014, 02:59:42 am »

The main problem is, if those small drones can slip past security, larger drones will be able to as well.
Uhm, not really.

I mean, the smallness of a drone is what allows it to bypass detection until it is above the plant. A larger drone would be detected much earlier. A nice story to compare it with is when the American Plutonium storage was attacked by a 82 year old nun. The security team was ready for a full on terrorist attack, but the nun just slipped past, despite being detected.

Aren't French powerplants widely agreed to be the best in the world?
The old ones were the most succesfull nuclear expansion project, but the US ones do better in terms of capacity factor. UK nuclear plants are rather crappy.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12532 on: November 03, 2014, 05:11:21 am »

Russian-Ukrainian border yesterday.

Dunno, is that habit of not leaving a 30-40 m gap between each vehicle some Russian thing? I've seen it before several times now, and also in the pictures of destroyed convoys. Actually, that is the norm in almost every picture with multiple vehicles. Neither side seems to be very professional(except some of the Russian artillery in the satellite pics).
Why should they leave a 30-40 m gap? It's not like anybody can put an air-strike or an artillery barrage on them at the border.

Besides, this looks like a traffic jam to me, and trust me, you want to have no free space between trucks in a Russian traffic jam. Otherwise you can expect it to become filled with civilian cars.
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12533 on: November 03, 2014, 05:15:30 am »

motherfuck did i laugh

russia: only place where a scrub with a dashcam will ram themselves smack dab in the middle of a military convoy

thanks sergie

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12534 on: November 03, 2014, 05:23:12 am »

motherfuck did i laugh

russia: only place where a scrub with a dashcam will ram themselves smack dab in the middle of a military convoy

thanks sergie
If they're at the Russian-Ukraine border, then they're officially not a military convoy.
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12535 on: November 03, 2014, 05:28:33 am »

If they're at the Russian-Ukraine border, then they're officially not a military convoy.

dunno, photo seems pretty military to me but i don't really care about this particular one it's more the situation

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12536 on: November 03, 2014, 05:40:19 am »

Why should they leave a 30-40 m gap? It's not like anybody can put an air-strike or an artillery barrage on them at the border.

Besides, this looks like a traffic jam to me, and trust me, you want to have no free space between trucks in a Russian traffic jam. Otherwise you can expect it to become filled with civilian cars.

Its just a very poor practice. As I said theres also been many photos of guys who had been shot to bits, burned and melted in convoys like that with all kinds of vehicles from trucks to T-72s(Ukrainians too) - if they only could they'd probably agree now. Keeping the distance is something that every military practices(should practice) and is very, very basic stuff, both on the foot as with vehicles.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12537 on: November 03, 2014, 05:55:40 am »

This made me laugh. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12538 on: November 03, 2014, 08:18:45 am »

Its just a very poor practice. As I said theres also been many photos of guys who had been shot to bits, burned and melted in convoys like that with all kinds of vehicles from trucks to T-72s(Ukrainians too) - if they only could they'd probably agree now. Keeping the distance is something that every military practices(should practice) and is very, very basic stuff, both on the foot as with vehicles.

There where no t-72 in ukraine that I know of. Hack i know when west propaganda posted videos of so called few russian tanks t 72 crossing the border to join pro russian (and there was a lot of media buzz about it) back when the war is going on, but they where not t 72, but t 64 with active defense on them that passed through the village.

So generally people should really be careful when reading a lot of news, without any proofs. I actually thought there where some real proof (videos or some good pictures where you can see the location) of russian tanks/armor in there (if there are, than they are using same ones that ukraine has), but I can not find any proof of them, and most of pictures and videos are just showing ukraine version and declaring they are russian (or lie/dont know how t 72 looks). Pro russian got a lot of armor from ukraine troops (and probably russian too), some without fight where they surrender/joined, or when they run away and left them (where there are actually videos about it on internet) .
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:23:23 am by miljan »
Make love not war

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12539 on: November 03, 2014, 08:49:14 am »

There where no t-72 in ukraine that I know of. Hack i know when west propaganda posted videos of so called few russian tanks t 72 crossing the border to join pro russian (and there was a lot of media buzz about it) back when the war is going on, but they where not t 72, but t 64 with active defense on them that passed through the village.

So generally people should really be careful when reading a lot of news, without any proofs. I actually thought there where some real proof (videos or some good pictures where you can see the location) of russian tanks/armor in there (if there are, than they are using same ones that ukraine has), but I can not find any proof of them, and most of pictures and videos are just showing ukraine version and declaring they are russian (or lie/dont know how t 72 looks). Pro russian got a lot of armor from ukraine troops (and probably russian too), some without fight where they surrender/joined, or when they run away and left them (where there are actually videos about it on internet) .

Western propaganda? Lol. I have not claimed the so called "Western" media to be this or that or anything(other than vastly more objective and money-driven than its Russian counterpart).

T-72 was a typo made in a haste(I was about to catch a bus) and I was supposed to type T-64/T-80/T-84(basically the same tank I think)(all of which Ukraine has in masses and that are also operated now by the separatists) instead. I'm more of an aviation man myself than a tankist and dont know them all by heart - just a case of a name of a more common tank type being used instead of the correct one.

Regardless, Russia still has everything to do with the war in Ukraine, T-72s or not. But that has been discussed to the death already and was not a part of my semi-humoristic point.
Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 1393