Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1757733 times)

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12405 on: October 29, 2014, 04:15:25 pm »

Sergarr, a Rosneft bankrupty would be terrible for the internal audience.

Miljan: You're deliberately using a very low starting point. It's like praising Obama because things aren't as bad as in 2008.
What? What low starting point? if you dont know there is only one starting point, so there is nothing deliberately about it . The dude is on power from 1999. He was on power in 2008 also. Unfortunately he was not on power in 1990, so we can only use the data we have for this last 15 years he is.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:18:50 pm by miljan »
Make love not war

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12406 on: October 29, 2014, 04:18:56 pm »

It'd also be a rather big PR failure for the Kremlin.

Of course, Rosneft's leadership was ringing this alarm bell the whole time.
>implying Kremlin has any PR to lose after annexing Crimea

That's a good one.
Well, they could lose face in front of russian voters. What ever would Putin do if he can't get enough votes to be re-elected?  :P
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12407 on: October 29, 2014, 04:20:48 pm »

1.2 trillion is something like 25 billions in dollars

~42, IIRC. And I'm not sure whether the debt is denominated in USD or Rubles. If it's USD the real number to repay is higher now and is terrible news for Rosneft. For their sake it's got to be in rubles or else any refinancing will probably destroy their credit lines long term. There's rumors they will get 'cash advances' [loans] from Chinese financiers, but if that isn't enough the Kremlin is the only entity that can help them.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:22:38 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12408 on: October 29, 2014, 04:22:12 pm »

1.2 trillion is something like 25 billions in dollars

Why make a trillion when we could make... billions?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12409 on: October 29, 2014, 04:24:09 pm »

miljan: And Obama was in power since 2008. My point is that he came during a period of such shittiness that simple reversal to the mean would explain a lot, no matter who was in power. Same with Obama: the economy was bound to improve after the crisis pretty much no matter what he did.

To be honest, things did and do improve in Russia. I just looked at World Bank data, and it has increased per capita GNI faster than Estonia or Georgia, who are common reform poster boys. It would be interesting to have an idea of the oil sector's importance in there, but we shouldn't underestimate Russia too much.

Per Capita GNI, 2004=100.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12410 on: October 29, 2014, 05:24:49 pm »

Oh I thought he meant France.
???

30 years from now or so France will be the dominant nation in the EU and the EU will still most likely be the world's largest economy.  Totally not in jest.  Nope.  Vive la France.

Well, they could lose face in front of russian voters. What ever would Putin do if he can't get enough votes to be re-elected?  :P

Lose office most likely.  He's an autocrat not a totalitarian dictator.  He just uses a different playbook to win elections not eliminate the elections entirely.  If free and fair elections were held tomorrow Putin would win quite comfortably.  If opposition parties were allowed to operate freely for a few years and then free and fair elections were held it would be up in the aair.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12411 on: October 29, 2014, 05:35:18 pm »

30 years from now or so France will be the dominant nation in the EU and the EU will still most likely be the world's largest economy.  Totally not in jest.  Nope.  Vive la France.
I'm curious what brings you to that conclusion. Demographics maybe? Our economist seem to think that France is at risk of getting the same problems as the Southern EU countries. At least their economic and political climate isn't that great currently and has been getting worse for a while now. They will probably be the largest EU country population-wise in some decades, but they have a lot of social tension too.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12412 on: October 29, 2014, 05:53:25 pm »

France is quite likely to pass Germany in working age population and their per capita productivity will be roughly equal.  30 years down the road europe will be out of this funk.  The rest of the world is and it's only the ECB having head in ass syndrome that keeps europe depressed.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12413 on: October 29, 2014, 08:09:03 pm »

Putin keep posturing. At this rate he'll get his country locked out of the SWIFT network. That would mean the end of Russia's economy.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12414 on: October 29, 2014, 08:11:49 pm »

I'm being paywalled. Can you quote it?
Love, scriver~

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12415 on: October 29, 2014, 08:23:34 pm »

Getting paywalled too now Oo

Found some quote:

More than two dozen Russian military aircraft, including six nuclear bombers, have conducted “significant military manoeuvres” on the edges of Nato and European airspace in the past 24 hours

The most significant intercept on Wednesday occurred in the North Sea. A force of eight Russian aircraft, including four Tu-95 long-range strategic nuclear bombers and four refuelling aircraft, were detected flying in formation at about 3am central European time flying from mainland Russia over the Norwegian Sea.

The portugeses claim that their airspace was violated.

I quote

The General Staff of the Armed Forces confirms that on the morning of October 29, two unidentified airspace under the responsibility Portuguese aircraft were detected.

Means of warning provided were triggered in such situations in the context of NATO, having two F-16 fighters Portuguese identified two Russian military aircraft, who handed out of the airspace under national responsibility.

The media driven fulfilled their mission, meeting the situation to be monitored in the framework of NATO.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12416 on: October 29, 2014, 10:48:08 pm »

At what point do we conclude it isn't posturing for jingoism at home and he's actually just losing his common sense?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12417 on: October 30, 2014, 12:34:35 am »

I think he started losing his common sense long ago.

While the whole thing smacks of the Cold War, I'm pretty sure that the Soviets didn't do that with their long range nuclear bombers since that would be a pretty clear provocation.

Really though, stuff like jets or surveillance planes I'd get, but what the heck is he trying to do by having his nuclear bombers buzz the edges of NATO and European airspace? In a previous era, that would have sent everybody into the highest alerts because of how provocative such a move would be.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:48:39 am by smjjames »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12418 on: October 30, 2014, 01:39:25 am »

text=]The portugeses claim that their airspace was violated.

Portugal itself? I thought it was just Portiguese F-16s that are stationed in the Baltics. They've chased Russian planes weekly for 3 months or so now.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12419 on: October 30, 2014, 01:47:37 am »

http://fra.europa.eu/en/publications-and-resources/data-and-maps/violence-against-women-survey

EU concludes that catoNazi Poland is one of the best places to live if you are a woman and don't want to be molested and/or abused. And who hits 80% rate of woman being molested? Sweden. Why do I have the feeling that our way seems to be better?
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 1393