Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 802 803 [804] 805 806 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1757138 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #12045 on: October 17, 2014, 01:47:12 pm »

They don't exactly have radio down there... How will you get the message to them? Also, they're probably explicitly forbidden from surrendering and risking getting the precious equipment (and missiles!) into the hands of the enemies.

Aye, there's no way they don't have comms down there. And forbidden from surrendering is not the same as not going to surrender. I don't imagine any of them are terribly keen on ending up that far under the Baltic, either.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12046 on: October 17, 2014, 01:53:59 pm »

Re: 1 - presumably the crew knows it themselves. And presumably the crew is not a bunch of Death Seekers.

Re: 2 - ...it's not WWII anymore. Regular radio won't work when submerged because of the fact that water has a pretty high absorbance at radio wavelengths, but subs totally do have comms nowadays. It's often text-only, but nonetheless. And again, most people aren't terribly fond of dying when they're not even in the state of war with the nation in question.

Alternative plan: Russia doesn't violate other countries sovereignty then blame them for reacting
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12047 on: October 17, 2014, 01:54:42 pm »

The crews of submarines spend years deep underwater, in very shitty living conditions, and if anything goes wrong, have a very real chance to end up as corpses deep, deep underwater. Death Seekers they aren't, but they're pretty close. I can't imagine any of these guys as not being patriots of their own state.
._.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12048 on: October 17, 2014, 02:08:24 pm »

During one of the incidents in the 80's the swedes didn't bother with the whole searching and talking bit and just dropped a bunch of depth charges (although that case was most likely bad sonar readings and not even an actual sub). That was after a russian sub accidentally beached itself near a swedish navy base though (the Whiskey on the rocks), so they were a bit antsy for a while.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12049 on: October 17, 2014, 05:23:45 pm »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12051 on: October 17, 2014, 07:02:16 pm »

Hornets' nest kicked, kicker acts surprised while hornets sting him.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12052 on: October 18, 2014, 02:48:20 pm »

The thing that made the Swedish Defense catch on to the submarine seems to have been a emergency radio communication between somewhere around Kanholmsfjärden and Kaliningrad. So it seems the submarine crew might already be in a bit of a situation.
Love, scriver~

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12053 on: October 18, 2014, 03:32:15 pm »

why finns have submarines is a mystery to the world

We dont, unless you count the Vesikko, a Type IIA prototype, on dry ground that has been made into a museum at Suomenlinna/Sveaborg just off Helsinki. Not since the 1940s.

I dont think the Russians have nuclear subs in the Baltics so if theres a sub down there laying at the bottom, it'll have very limited submerged endurance before the crew cant breath. Still probably a week or so. I'm also following this...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12054 on: October 18, 2014, 05:58:57 pm »

I hope that the crew of the submarine is as professional and as brave as Russian paratroopers
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Defacto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12055 on: October 19, 2014, 06:11:58 am »

The submarine is in all the medias here right now. It's like 1981 all over again!
Apparently the military officially hasn't said much but the latest theory is that it was a small mothership-dependent craft, like the one in 1988. A Liberia-flagged russian-owned cargo ship, which was on the way to Denmark stopped outside Swedish territorial waters just before all this started and started moving towards Kaliningrad when the hunt began.

One possibility is that the crew of the (probably really small) submarine has abandoned the craft and taken shelter on an island. There's a lot of islands outside Stockholm, and a lot of empty summer residences around this time of the year.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12056 on: October 19, 2014, 06:19:33 am »

I hope that the crew of the submarine is as professional and as brave as Russian paratroopers
I bet they took their documents proving their Russian allegiance with them on a secret mission. :P
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12057 on: October 19, 2014, 06:24:24 am »

This is the presumed mothership. It's been switching its AIS transmitter on and off intermittently so the track is incomplete.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12058 on: October 19, 2014, 06:53:49 am »

I bet they took their documents proving their Russian allegiance with them on a secret mission. :P

I like how Soviets don't even care that their guys may be dead already...
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12059 on: October 19, 2014, 07:40:53 am »

That's because I don't like dealing with "may be" speculations and making assumptions from them.

Remember the WMDs in Iraq?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 802 803 [804] 805 806 ... 1393