Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1756772 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #11805 on: October 10, 2014, 07:35:17 pm »

We have a treaty thaat force us to protect Ukraine territorial integrity, and proof that Russian soldiers operate in the area. That's a casus Belli.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11806 on: October 10, 2014, 07:42:58 pm »

You mean the Budapest treaty* memorandum? There isn't anything saying that NATO will come to Ukraines aid if Russia attacks it. All it says that in return for Ukraine giving up it's nuclear stockpile it inherited, both sides will leave Ukraine alone and not bully it or anything.

*When I typed Budapest treaty into wikipedia, it spat out a thing about microorganisms and patents.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11807 on: October 10, 2014, 07:48:58 pm »

The United States of America, the Russian Federation, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, reaffirm their commitment to seek immediate United Nations Security Council action to provide assistance to Ukraine, as a non-nuclear-weapon State Party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, if Ukraine should become a victim of an act of aggression or an object of a threat of aggression in which nuclear weapons are used.

That's not binding, but enough to justify taking action.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11808 on: October 10, 2014, 07:55:44 pm »

It does say that 'if Ukraine becomes the victim of aggression', however, things are FAR from being as simple as 'You attack Ukraine, treaty means that now I attack you.' The whole Crimea and Ukraine deal is, well, in a word, complex.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11809 on: October 10, 2014, 10:19:53 pm »

I would interpret that as being 2 seperAte clauses, either bring a victim of the vaguely defined 'acts if aggression' or seperately having the threat of nuclear force made against it.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11810 on: October 11, 2014, 02:43:19 am »

On that note, Russia has nuclear weapons and enough submarines that the second strike capability should be at least enough for 20 cities.

NATO would be insane to try and attack Russia head-on.
._.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11811 on: October 11, 2014, 04:10:31 am »

On that note, Russia has nuclear weapons and enough submarines that the second strike capability should be at least enough for 20 cities.

NATO would be insane to try and attack Russia head-on.

They are preparing for this for years. Patriot missiles bases will be all over eastern Europe at this point, and I'd be very surprised if NATO submarine technology isn't 20 years above the Russian one.

This senario will get more and more attractive, the deeper the economic crisis get.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11812 on: October 11, 2014, 04:20:55 am »

NATO-Chinese alliance is the right way to do it. EU doesn't need any land in Asia, right?  USA may add Kamchatka as a new state. Oh, and Sakhalin is Japanese land.

On other hand... Kamchatka state will need renaming to United States of America and Asia... Ugly. It should become a part of Alaska
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 04:23:28 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11813 on: October 11, 2014, 04:24:42 am »

if you want to go full agg here, us - china will never work

eu - china is within the realm of remote plausibility though

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11814 on: October 11, 2014, 05:17:54 am »

EU - China? Sure, why not. The only two superpowers that aren't rotten to the core should get along quite nicely, especially since there are very few conflicts of interest.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:20:19 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11815 on: October 11, 2014, 07:08:47 am »

EU - China? Sure, why not. The only two superpowers that aren't rotten to the core should get along quite nicely, especially  since there are very few conflicts of interest.
.... I'm not really sure what to make of that statement.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11816 on: October 11, 2014, 07:12:40 am »

Well, it's not like Europe really HAS a core, does it? :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11817 on: October 11, 2014, 08:13:14 am »

I don't think people here understand how the nuclear warfare works.

If even one nuclear missile gets through your defences, you can say bye-bye to 10 cities. That's millions of casualties. Europe and USA are not currently willing to accept even the possibility of losing millions of people just to acquire some resources.

And don't forget, even the best anti-missile systems can achieve only a 1/3 rate of interception against a ballistic missile en route.
._.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11818 on: October 11, 2014, 08:27:36 am »

Those things are... secret. But you assume that you'll keep control of the launching sites long enough for the missiles to get launched, which is a bold assumption. And that all those missiles are still usable right now, which would be surprising.

If the American army don't seems to be able to understand how to crush a rebellion (probably because American culture, on some level, is much too attached to the idea of individual freedom and free will to understand tribal cultures), they are the biggest, richest army the world have ever seen, backed by the best scientists the world have, and a fuckton of bitches (our proud European nations).

Europe risk facing unrest soon, and they'd need a good distraction. Putin'd better be very, veeery carefull.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11819 on: October 11, 2014, 08:36:25 am »

Well, I for one would rather not fight Russia, and certainly wouldn't take the risk of a nuclear strike. But as long as we do not go for Moscow, I guess Russia wouldn't dare use its nukes for fear of nuclear retaliation.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 1393