Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1741800 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #11475 on: September 30, 2014, 08:33:16 am »

That's cute. There is no such thing as foreign democratization. Libya is a country of tribes. Tribes aligned with the west won, tribes aligned with Russia lost.

If the west goes in, like they did in Libya, they are undemocratic colonialists.
If the west stays out, like in Syria until recently, they are undemocratic colonialists.
If the west supports the existing regime, like in Saudi Arabia, they are undemocratic colonialists.

Taking the opinion of different groups and framing them as one is a convoluted way to build a strawman.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11476 on: September 30, 2014, 08:59:54 am »

That's cute. There is no such thing as foreign democratization. Libya is a country of tribes. Tribes aligned with the west won, tribes aligned with Russia lost.

If the west goes in, like they did in Libya, they are undemocratic colonialists.
If the west stays out, like in Syria until recently, they are undemocratic colonialists.
If the west supports the existing regime, like in Saudi Arabia, they are undemocratic colonialists.
You forgot the fourth one: you do not support the existing regime, but you don't invade the country.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11477 on: September 30, 2014, 09:00:49 am »

how does it meshes with the supposed "democratization" operation that EU did to Libya.

Tunisia is going through actual democratization, even if it's a bit fragile at this stage, as shown by the fact that the need for foreign intervention was minimal (mainly observers).

Since when were there any tribes aligned with Russia in Libya? It was tribes aligned with ghaddafi vs those who weren't.

In the end though, it devolved into chaos, so, outside of getting rid of ghaddafi, nobody really won.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11478 on: September 30, 2014, 09:16:19 am »

You forgot the fourth one: you do not support the existing regime, but you don't invade the country.

I think you missed one.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11479 on: September 30, 2014, 09:26:54 am »

Gahdaffi was aligned with Russia, and not with the west. Russia wasn't able to support him from afar. The end.

Conflict in the third world are complicated, but at the end there is only few actors that can actually supply enough weapons to fuel a war : regional powers (usually aligned against or with a big power, with "the ennemy of my enemy is very temporarly my friend), and great powers. So the course of the war may be chaotic, but the driving forces are rather clear.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11480 on: September 30, 2014, 09:56:55 am »

That's what the US was doing in Syria for three years.

Gahdaffi was aligned with Russia, and not with the west. Russia wasn't able to support him from afar. The end.

It's not the 19th century.  The entire world doesn't revolve around a handful of great powers.  Yes there is influence but that's not the complete story, "the end" as you put it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:59:17 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11481 on: September 30, 2014, 10:17:20 am »

So, some of you may know that the text for CETA - the Canada-EU trade deal- was leaked in August. There is a pretty good analysis here

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11482 on: September 30, 2014, 10:22:42 am »

The entire world doesn't revolve around a handful of great powers.  Yes there is influence but that's not the complete story, "the end" as you put it.

I see no reasons to believe this. The world revolve essentially around the US decision, with a bit of USSR and European left over influence, and China's gowing one. But mainly Europe, Russia and the US are the playmakers in Africa.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11483 on: September 30, 2014, 10:28:29 am »

So, some of you may know that the text for CETA - the Canada-EU trade deal- was leaked in August. There is a pretty good analysis here

I didn't know about that either.

Anyways, I've only read the executive summary and it doesn't sound like a great deal for Canada with little gain. Also, to really compare, we'd have to know what the EU is sacrificing in the deal.

That's just my opinion as an American though, the Canadians here may have different opinions on it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11484 on: September 30, 2014, 10:30:12 am »

Well, it was made mostly by Canadians, so they focus on their problems. Still, I'd suggest you at least look at the ISDS section.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11485 on: September 30, 2014, 10:32:44 am »

Russia simply ignored the issue - it abstained from voting in the UNSC and reacted to the anti-Gaddafi insurrection and the resulting NATO's assault with polite diplomatic statements expressing Russia's concern over the escalating tensions in Libya.
Medvedev was in charge back then, and he didn't want to anger America, just like Putin during his first two terms in power.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11486 on: September 30, 2014, 10:35:59 am »

I consider the open westernization of Syrian rebels as equal to invasion.

When I said "not invade" I mean it. No rebel supporting, no aggressive trade policies, no anything. Pure diplomacy.
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11487 on: September 30, 2014, 10:37:45 am »

When I said "not invade" I mean it. No rebel supporting, no aggressive trade policies, no anything. Pure diplomacy.

So, if trade sanctions are not diplomacy, what is? Glaring at people really hard until they cave in?

Also, your definition of invasion is incredibly self-serving and broad.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11488 on: September 30, 2014, 10:43:08 am »

What do you do when pure diplomacy is getting nowhere? Or rather, what would YOU do?

Also, Syria is a gordians knot* of complexity and clusterfuckyness anyway.

*Yes, I'm aware of the legend behind that and the fact that Alexander simply sliced through the thing.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11489 on: September 30, 2014, 10:56:14 am »

Interesting... Do USA and EU have any diplomatic\economic methods to bring oil prices down and keep them there for a year or two?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 1393