Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1742408 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #11130 on: September 18, 2014, 09:10:27 am »

You know, the whole arguments about multiculturalism and nationstates seem to me that it could use some pointing out that what Phmcw considers a nation-state (France, I think) is actually not a nationstate but a state containing at least three (that I'm aware off) different nations: French, Occitanian, and Bretagnian.

And theres the Basque country. Though that one is actually split between France and Spain.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:14:22 am by smjjames »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #11131 on: September 18, 2014, 09:15:07 am »

As I said, culture, to me is neither stable nor undivisible. It depend a lot of how peoples feel about each other. Two culture may fusion for a while, then reseparate later, one culture can explode into two and two culture can become one. Several culture can be subcultures of French culture.

Which is why I insist on assimilitation  : I'm fine with external change to our culture (Belgian Islam, foreign foodstuff, anglisation of the language) which mean I'm not conservative, but I insist that things must become part of Belgian culture and not just coexist.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:16:44 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #11132 on: September 18, 2014, 10:50:52 am »

I think that's generally going to happen over time, though. Multiculturalism will slowly merge because even isolated groups and cliques will be affected by external events, and people will come and go in them, eventually (slowly) causing their culture to become part of the main culture.

That is assimilation, and not at all granted. See Jews, various religious minority in various countries, or even black/white America. Without a continous effort to minimize differences, you rick troubles.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11133 on: September 18, 2014, 10:53:09 am »

I think that's generally going to happen over time, though. Multiculturalism will slowly merge because even isolated groups and cliques will be affected by external events, and people will come and go in them, eventually (slowly) causing their culture to become part of the main culture.

That is assimilation, and not at all granted. See Jews, various religious minority in various countries, or even black/white America. Without a continous effort to minimize differences, you rick troubles.

Jews are a pretty poor example - a lot assimilated really well in some countries, and the lack of assimilation was at least in part because they didn't really get a chance.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11134 on: September 18, 2014, 11:37:54 am »

You know, the whole arguments about multiculturalism and nationstates seem to me that it could use some pointing out that what Phmcw considers a nation-state (France, I think) is actually not a nationstate but a state containing at least three (that I'm aware off) different nations: French, Occitanian, and Bretagnian.

The newly rising "far right" is mostly left wing. Actually they are rising thanks to the betrayal of traditional left wing party. I totally understand their electorate, at leastin France (I think it's the same in other countries but language barreer....). The NVA is an exeption.

Maybe that is true in France, but it certainly isn't true in Scandinavia. Here they are conservative to the core.

Civic conservative or caveman conservative?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11135 on: September 18, 2014, 11:40:50 am »

I don't know the difference.

Love, scriver~

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11136 on: September 18, 2014, 11:47:03 am »

I am not a huge fan of Poroshenko... But I LIKE his speeches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgmHpQwpPP8
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11137 on: September 18, 2014, 01:08:45 pm »

The newly rising "far right" is mostly left wing. Actually they are rising thanks to the betrayal of traditional left wing party. I totally understand their electorate, at leastin France (I think it's the same in other countries but language barreer....). The NVA is an exeption.

Maybe that is true in France, but it certainly isn't true in Scandinavia. Here they are conservative to the core.

Civic conservative or caveman conservative?
Viking conservative. Though I suppose Vikings were redistributionists of a sort.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11138 on: September 18, 2014, 01:48:12 pm »

I am not a huge fan of Poroshenko... But I LIKE his speeches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgmHpQwpPP8
I'm 99% percent sure that was just a slip-up, but...
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11139 on: September 18, 2014, 01:52:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11140 on: September 18, 2014, 02:01:39 pm »

That must be photoshopped, Boehner isn't even crying...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11141 on: September 18, 2014, 02:06:59 pm »

Although I'm pretty sure that's the expression Biden would use if a Nazi was speaking in the Senate.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11142 on: September 18, 2014, 02:08:10 pm »

That must be photoshopped, Boehner isn't even crying...
And he needs more orange.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11143 on: September 18, 2014, 03:30:00 pm »

Well, I remember seeing some ads, can't remember from which Nordic country about burka-clad woman racing pensioner for money. The message is clear: they are anti-immigrants to protect the welfare state, which is a leftish position.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11144 on: September 18, 2014, 03:38:15 pm »

I guess the point is, outside the US and the UK "small government" and privatization are not necessarily conservative positions, many European conservative parties aren't like that. Most far-right parties are as much for "big government" and nationalization as their far-left counterparts, just with different ideological motivation / background.
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 1393