Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752332 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10591 on: September 09, 2014, 11:34:44 am »

Hmm, if the vote is no in the end, can we trade the UK Scotland for Quebec?

No, we Scandinavians are already trading Scotland for Denmark.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10592 on: September 09, 2014, 11:41:43 am »

Can somebody please just take Quebec? They're scaring everybody else again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: September 09, 2014, 11:45:14 am »

Give it to Russians. They always want new territory
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10594 on: September 09, 2014, 12:02:37 pm »

Because the vast bulk of their trade will be done with the UK and currency differences would increase the costs associated with that trade.
That sounds like a preferable alternative to a depreciated sterling though, and does simplify things a great deal in the event of independence.

"Sounds like" yes.  But take a moment to consider what a "depreciated" yuan has done for Chinese exports.  Or what a strong Euro has done for European employment.

And as for simplifying.  No that's just silly.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #10595 on: September 09, 2014, 12:03:29 pm »

(Reuters) - The European Union adopted new sanctions against Russia over its involvement in the Ukraine war on Monday, but delayed enforcing them to leave time to assess whether a ceasefire in Ukraine is holding.

Hysterical laugher. I think Putin can play "Escalation\pause\Escalation\Pause" game forever

I told you, Europe is just putting a show for the US. They don't give a shit about Russia expanding a little. Actually, that relieve them from the pressure of countries asking to join.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10596 on: September 09, 2014, 12:26:47 pm »

Because the vast bulk of their trade will be done with the UK and currency differences would increase the costs associated with that trade.
That sounds like a preferable alternative to a depreciated sterling though, and does simplify things a great deal in the event of independence.

"Sounds like" yes.  But take a moment to consider what a "depreciated" yuan has done for Chinese exports.  Or what a strong Euro has done for European employment.

Begs the question though -- is Scotland an export-based economy? And are we talking elastic exports like consumer goods or relatively inelastic exports like oil? And would they peg their oil prices to the dollar as most exporters do, or to the Euro, or to the pound sterling, or to the Scottish pound or to a new currency (I endorse the Scottish Caledonian Oil Tartan Sheep, or SCOTS).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10597 on: September 09, 2014, 12:36:10 pm »

(Reuters) - The European Union adopted new sanctions against Russia over its involvement in the Ukraine war on Monday, but delayed enforcing them to leave time to assess whether a ceasefire in Ukraine is holding.

Hysterical laugher. I think Putin can play "Escalation\pause\Escalation\Pause" game forever

I told you, Europe is just putting a show for the US. They don't give a shit about Russia expanding a little. Actually, that relieve them from the pressure of countries asking to join.

They care a lot - instability and wars are bad for business. Sanctions are supposed to have a long-term effect... But we probably agree that EU has been spineless at best. Its still all going according to Putin's plans, if he ever had one.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: September 09, 2014, 12:37:54 pm »

I have to say that, as reluctant as I am to touch Germany's territorial integrity (their federal model is a nice example of something that can work) it would probably work best if Bavaria was independent. They're at least as different from the rest of Germany as Austria, anyway.
Actually most parts of Germany are pretty different from the other parts. Overall our federalism works pretty well though, most problems are administrative and financial stuff, nothing cultural.
If you think about an independent Bavaria, be careful to consider that only part of the Free State of Bavaria is actually really Bavarian, the northern part is Franconia, where there even is a party seeking it's own federal state, and some of the southwest is part of Swabia.

I think Bavarian political particularities stem from the fact that Bavaria used to be a rural, agricultural area (with a conservative electorate), that became really industrialized only after WW2 (more than 100 years after the Ruhr area or parts of the Rhineland) and relatively wealthy (thus politically influential). So the political culture and sensibilities are quite a bit different from other regions, where the cities and industrial centers are traditionally social-democratic while the rural areas are more conservative. In Bavaria that tradition never really developed like that, except for Munich maybe, which is more left-leaning like most bigger cities.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:46:19 pm by XXSockXX »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: September 09, 2014, 12:43:25 pm »

I have to say that, as reluctant as I am to touch Germany's territorial integrity (their federal model is a nice example of something that can work) it would probably work best if Bavaria was independent. They're at least as different from the rest of Germany as Austria, anyway.
Actually most parts of Germany are pretty different from the other parts. Overall our federalism works pretty well though, most problems are administrative and financial stuff, nothing cultural.
If you think about an independent Bavaria, be careful to consider that only part of the Free State of Bavaria is actually really Bavarian, the northern part is Franconia, where there even is a party seeking it's own federal state, and some of the southwest is part of Swabia.

I think Bavarian political particularities stem from the fact that Bavaria used to be a rural, agricultural area (with a conservative electorate), that became really industrialized only after WW2 (more than 100 years after the Ruhr area or parts of the Rhineland) and relatively wealthy (thus politically influential). So the political culture and sensibilities are quite a bit different from other regions, where the cities and industrial centers are traditionally social-democratic while the rural areas are more conservative. In Bavaria that tradition never really developed like that, except for Munich maybe, which is more left-leaning like most bigger cities.
Sounds similar to the American South. Stayed agrarian and conservative for a long time (okay, still is). While the Northeast was urban, industrial and social-democratic. The interesting bit there though is that while antebellum Southern politics was dominated by an oligarchy of rich landowners, postwar Southern politics became far more populist (think Huey Long) because of the rise of the small farmer and mill worker, the steady demise of the antebellum "old money" families, and the lack of major urban concentrations.

Is/was there a strong populist streak in Bavarian politics?

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10600 on: September 09, 2014, 12:46:01 pm »

Sounds similar to the American South. Stayed agrarian and conservative for a long time (okay, still is). While the Northeast was urban and social-democratic. The interesting bit there though is that while antebellum Southern politics was dominated by an oligarchy of rich landowners, postwar Southern politics became far more populist (think Huey Long) because of the rise of the small farmer and mill worker, the steady demise of the antebellum "old money" families, and the lack of major urban concentrations.

Is/was there a strong populist streak in Bavarian politics?
Oh, absolutely. The CSU (Bavarian separate branch of the CDU, dominant party in Bavaria) is very well known for exactly that. Bavarian populism usually is conservative leaning as opposed to left/social democratic populism in other areas. It often seems to come more from a farmers-that-got-rich than a poor-mill-worker background.

Actually, in a way, Bavaria is the Texas of Germany, if you substitute industry for oil and (some parts of) Munich for Austin. Or something like that.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:53:10 pm by XXSockXX »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10601 on: September 09, 2014, 12:50:48 pm »

And Tyrolean caps and lederhosen for cowboy hats and boots.
And beer for...uhh, actually that one stays the same.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10602 on: September 09, 2014, 12:55:59 pm »

Begs the question though -- is Scotland an export-based economy? And are we talking elastic exports like consumer goods or relatively inelastic exports like oil? And would they peg their oil prices to the dollar as most exporters do, or to the Euro, or to the pound sterling, or to the Scottish pound or to a new currency (I endorse the Scottish Caledonian Oil Tartan Sheep, or SCOTS).
From what I remember, solar, tides, hydro energy plus some off shelf oil on a successful diplomacy roll with UK.
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10603 on: September 09, 2014, 12:58:41 pm »

From what I remember, solar, tides, hydro energy plus some off shelf oil on a successful diplomacy roll with UK.

solar power

in britain

do you have zero knowledge of climate

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10604 on: September 09, 2014, 12:59:02 pm »

And Tyrolean caps and lederhosen for cowboy hats and boots.
And beer for...uhh, actually that one stays the same.
Yeah, you could take that pretty far, the comparison is made frequently, if not in a completely serious way. Back in the days of poor movie dubbing, a strong Bavarian accent was even sometimes used as a stand-in for a strong Texan or similar accent. Also other than most Germans from dialect heavy areas, Bavarian politicians and celebrities make no effort to hide their accent, which I think might be a parallel too.
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1393