Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends of your Adventures  (Read 923 times)

Urist McUristsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legends of your Adventures
« on: February 10, 2013, 05:14:06 pm »

So I was playing AM last night as a human lasher. I stumbled across the native gold fortress that was apparently my civilization's capital and walked inside. One of the guards wouldn't travel with me, but he did mention that my civilization's master and god of death and disease was there. I started climbing up the keep and found an ass fiend (?!) claiming to be my god. Enraged by this blasphemy, I attacked him with my bronze whip. This set off an epic struggle, ending with my adventure missing a foot and lashing the beast in the face. Since I was playing as a demigod, I choose to believe that Almighty Armok set him to lead The Defended Unions into heresy so that the real god would have to send his son to spill his blood.

Anyway, the whole thing made me realize that, had that occured in world gen, it would've been recorded as a fairly significant legend. Since it happened outside of it, the only thing recorded was that the demon was struck down by my character. That doesn't really make sense. Why shouldn't a rampaging adventure or the slaying of an important figure like the leader of a civilization be recorded in legends mode too? That's what this suggestion proposes: naming and listing adventurer-initiated events as legends.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends of your Adventures
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 06:47:05 pm »

All of it's planned for when the world comes alive. Currently the moment worldgen stops the world stops evolving and changing and you have to play with the pieces currently on the board, when Toady finishes making the world live you'll start to see things like legends about your character pop up. I assume that your characters actions will start to be recorded in legends mode as well then.

Urist McUristsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 06:54:41 pm »

Huh. Didn't see anything about it, but you might be right. Got a quote handy? :)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 07:23:47 pm »

Huh. Didn't see anything about it, but you might be right. Got a quote handy? :)

A quote handy for what?

Also, if this happened in worldgen, it would be equally unsatisfactory in legends mode. The ass demon would be struck down and someone else would replace it. The only thing missing in gameplay is the latter part, which is getting fixed next version.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 09:14:11 pm »

Just to point out, your adventurer's deeds already get recorded in Legends Mode, and in about the same level of detail any events do.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 08:00:51 am »

To detail it a bit:
Deeds of individuals are listed in the 'historical figures' part of legends mode; that holds for both adventure and fort mode, and it's pretty detailed.

'Events' in legends mainly handle the doings of civilisations and their sub-groups: founding of settlements, wars, abandoned settlements, appointments of religious leaders. The only individuals who have their actions logged here are megabeasts - rampages and deaths mainly. An adventurer and their sixty notable kills aren't that spectacular when looking at whole civilisations at war, including battles in which a thousand people are killed, and only two or three of the participants get their names mentioned at all.

Once we can do other notable things in adventure mode than kill stuff and climb mountains (say, becoming a member/leader of a religious group or being knighted), revamping the legends to better reflect the career of adventurers would be appropriate.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 09:14:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure if Armok were to let loose a hellish beast child to bring untold devastation save the world, it would be a Dwarf.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.