Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The Shrouded Lands  (Read 6906 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: The Shrouded Lands
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 05:21:01 am »

-Necromancy cost would be around 4-6 points, which gives  you a decent group of capable necromancers .
-The Alchemy would be considerably more costly, costing between 8-12. Depending on how much of the population can do it, how often and how usefull it is. ((Especially the upper end of the scale will give you the equivalent of medieval technology, but magicified.))
-The magical affinity would cost 1 point, or none at all.
I'm thinking I'd like to max out Alchemy and get whatever that entails. I'm less concerned with Necromancy but don't have anything better in mind.

Which I guess makes the question what's a good use of 2-4 points. Anything you'd suggest as a GM, or anything that might synergize well with their current traits?

As for features, Slitherspine appreciates terrain of an... exotic nature. Volcanic lands are nice, but anything with high biodiversity and/or specialized inhabitants is on their list.

Don't forget water tiles can have features too. Reefs, whirlpools, kraken hunting grounds... can never have enough things trying to kill you on the high seas.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 06:13:14 am »

Modification for points? If not I would add some tiny islands(1-3 Hex), also those mountains on right side are looking bit too straight imo.
Or for free, as long as it's nothing special: And yeah, I might try to diversify the map a bit.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 08:38:46 am »

That's one ugly-ass map. Why are there huge chunks of identical terrain? Why are there tons of mountains bordering on seas with nothing even remotely approaching plains in between? Why are there no rivers?

I vote for complete scrapping of this piece of shit and redoing from scratch.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 08:46:18 am »

That's one ugly-ass map. Why are there huge chunks of identical terrain? Why are there tons of mountains bordering on seas with nothing even remotely approaching plains in between? Why are there no rivers?
This happen in real life too. This too. The generator can't do them. Please be a little nicer next time Mr. jerk.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 10:55:10 am »

I vote for complete scrapping of this piece of shit and redoing from scratch.
Tell me something I don't know.

But yeah, it's the best you can expect from a free internet generator.

You know what; if everyone can give me a description of the are within 2 tiles of their cities, I'll put a map together based on that.

Sorcerer Kail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 12:54:05 pm »

Could it be randomly generated map of those tiles?
Like this?

I've rolled it manualy by this generator, using arid terrain

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 01:06:52 pm »

Hmm.... I'll say Syrta lies in a hilly region, rising into a small mountain range in the south. To the north and northwest lie forested hills, and to the east the hills drop into a river plain.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 01:20:28 pm »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2013, 02:01:25 pm »

Why not just use a premade map and stick hexes/orthogonal tiles on top?
Spoiler: Like this one (click to show/hide)
Alternately, I have a map generator (that only makes heights and rivers for now, though. No deserts, marshes, forests and the like) sitting on my HDD.
Spoiler: An example map (click to show/hide)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2013, 02:05:56 pm »

- The setting, and the fact that there are Gods, calls for frequent changes in the map. (Hopefully not too much, but anyway). So I like something with build in editability.

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 05:51:44 pm »

The fortress of the Elecknigh lies in a mountain range by a forest
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 05:27:43 am »

((I dunno, you could try to upgrade your basic technology to Iron age level. Because as it is know, almost everything your Civ does will be based on alchemy. Or increase your base statistics, or add a custom resource (exotic animals could be one)))

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Magic user trait is fine)

Name: Dirami
Desription: Bunch of tribes of humanoid cats united by force of one cruel ruler. Living in dense jungles filled with many large herbivorous creatures and no competing predators they never had problems with food and still staying in hunting stage. Fishing in the many of small jungle rivers is another source of food  Unfortunately being hunters they are quite scattered over jungles.
Living in jungles shamans of Dirami learned to use local plants to their advantage. Combining that with parts of the prey and minerals they developed alchemy to the level that many experienced magical civilizations would envy. From simple stuff like healing potions and poisons to mixtures with mysterious and powerful properities

Traits:
Stone age (+4 points)
Different race (Humanoid cats, 3-4 feet high,  high agility\reflexes, fast reproduction. Carnivorous. -X points)
Exotic knowledge: Alchemy (-X points)
Fortress 1 (0points)
Villages 4+5 ( -10 points)
Additional tiles 5 (-10 points)
Start with units: Spearmen * 2 (-2 points)
Start with hero: Graytailed. Current ruler, tyrant and talented military commander (-4 points) 
Will add\remove something when I'll know price of my race\knowledge choice

[The different race traits will probably vary between +2 and -2 points.(With carnivorous meaning that exessive stacking of villages would be a rather bad idea, unless you use mass domestication)]

Name Civilization:Elecknigh
Description: A warlike race that pefers to leave defeated enemies alive
Traits: (20 points to distribute, see below)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stats:
Total food: 9/20  ((30/30 Units food stored))
Total IC: 5.8
Resources:
-1 Fortress         [5/10 Population, 5 IC]
           Buildings: Food storage
      -4 villages   [1 Population, 5 food 0.2 IC  ]

Units:
-1 Pikemen
-1 Crossbowmen

Trait points:
   -Magic users: all Elecknigh can channel electricity through their melee weapons but about 25% can after eating a large amout of electricity shoot lighting bolts from their hands. 11 ish points
   -Different race: Elecknigh use electricity for food so captured food production places have to be rebuilt and enemies do the same for mine, we cannot steal food and they cannot steal mine, food production is higher in mountains but zero in deserts, they can only cross rivers over bridges, have reduced combat effectiveness over water and they cannot swim +4 points
   -Tech level: 8 for medieval
   -Extra villages [2 point per] 1 extra villages   2 points
   -Start with units: [1 point per] 1 pikemen 1 crossbow 3 points 1+1 still equals 2, I'm afraid
   -Additional building 1 energy storage building 1 point

So before I finalize everything, I'd like from all non diety players:

-A color
-A description of your surroundings

Other player can make suggestions for surroundings. ((Also, there's a bloody large amount of gods))

Poke me if I forgot something

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 07:13:22 am »

Reworked application:

Name:  Dirami
Desription: Bunch of tribes of small (100-120cm high) humanoid cats united by force of one cruel ruler. Living in dense jungles filled with many large herbivorous creatures and no competing predators they can get quite a lot of game.. Fishing in their big lake is another source of food. Still, until recently the cat's progress were halted by the fact, that their only source of food was hunting, but recently they domesticated local nonflying birds, Strosses. 3 meter high and  herbivorous produce 2-3 large eggs per week, solving many food problems with both eggs and meat. Some  braver cats even started to use them as mounts, usually several cat's ride one Stross

Living in jungles shamans of Dirami learned to use local plants to their advantage. Combining that with different parts of their prey and minerals they developed alchemy to the level that many experienced magical civilizations would envy. From simple stuff like healing potions and poisons to mixtures with mysterious and powerful properties.

Color: Orange

Surroundings: Dense jungles bordering a large freshwater lake

Traits:
Stone age (+4 points)

Different race: (Humanoid cats, small (+1),  high agility (-2), natural weapons (-1) Carnivorous (+2) Total: (0 points)

Exotic knowledge: Plant Alchemy (-6 points)

Extra resource: Strosses (-6 points) 3 meterhigh nonflying birds usable as mounts, work animals and egg\meat source

Fortress 1 (0points)

4 Villages  (0 points)

Additional tiles 3 (-6 points)

Start with units: Spearmen*1, Strossrider archers*1 (-2 points)

Start with hero: Graytailed. Current ruler, tyrant and talented military commander who won his throne using revolutionary Stross cavalry (-4 points) 

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2013, 08:47:36 am »

Well then, what would prevent you from manually doing an editable map, with various colors corresponding to geographical features?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2013, 09:01:26 am »

Well then, what would prevent you from manually doing an editable map, with various colors corresponding to geographical features?
What I'm doing currently.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6