Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The Shrouded Lands  (Read 6904 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Shrouded Lands
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 09:49:20 am »

Civ name: Nazalam, because subtlety is for the weak.
Description: A human tribe that decided that more territory is good and fitting entire tribe under bogstandard cliches of proud-warrior-race, goblin-type-swarm, stupid-orc-race and so on is stupid.
Traits:
- Expansionistic (bonuses to conquering territory and growth) (let's say 2 points);
- Advanced healing magic in about 2-5% of the population (uh... 3?);
- Veteran soldiers: the more battles a given unit survived, the better its stats become (2?);
- Additional village (2);
- A rare metal from which high-quality weapons and armor can be made (I don't even know anymore);
- If horses are untamed by default, we have tamed them. Otherwise nothing;
- The remains go into technology.
  -The first two seem alright
  -What do you want to do with the third? Because Units improving after battles is part of the base game mechanics. (Increased rates?)
  -Metal would probably cost 2 (iron), or 4-6 if you want to have a mythical metal
  -Horse taming is in by default, but having a large pack of tamed horses would cost about 1 point.

Reserving a spot, writing up a civ later.

Edit - In progress civ:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-For the race difference, a bonus to ambushes(Ie tactics) as opposed to a decrease of attack would cost nothing.
-The Labyrinthine architecture would cost 1 or 2 points.

-Necromancy cost would be around 4-6 points, which gives  you a decent group of capable necromancers .
-The Alchemy would be considerably more costly, costing between 8-12. Depending on how much of the population can do it, how often and how usefull it is. ((Especially the upper end of the scale will give you the equivalent of medieval technology, but magicified.))
-The magical affinity would cost 1 point, or none at all.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 10:01:20 am »

-What do you want to do with the third? Because Units improving after battles is part of the base game mechanics. (Increased rates?)
  -Metal would probably cost 2 (iron), or 4-6 if you want to have a mythical metal
  -Horse taming is in by default, but having a large pack of tamed horses would cost about 1 point.
- In that case I want to have something like Tutoring, whereby a veteran unit can train a less-experienced one stationed in the same tile;
- 4 for a mythical metal seems like quite a lot. What if it's a small deposit, only enough for a supply of three-four regiments?
- What is the effect of this large pack going to be?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 10:07:06 am »

- In that case I want to have something like Tutoring, whereby a veteran unit can train a less-experienced one stationed in the same tile;
- 4 for a mythical metal seems like quite a lot. What if it's a small deposit, only enough for a supply of three-four regiments?
- What is the effect of this large pack going to be?
- Seems good.
- The specific system makes a small deposit difficult, but a hard to reach one can be done. (Effect is that strange metal equiped soldiers will cost more IC. So, basically boils down to the fact that you can only support a few regiments at first, but with the option to expand )
- It reduces the cost of mounted regiments to their footsoldier equivalent, as long as the pack lasts.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 10:56:27 am »

Name God: Julianos
Power: [50 MegaThaums]
Primary Sphere:Knowledge or Creations (GM can choose)
Secondary spheres: [Leave empty for now]
Divine responisibilities:[Leave empty for now]

Cult/Church/Religion: of Epistēmē
Amount of believers:?
Description: Temples either store books or different inventions
Traits: Followers are encourage to gather knowledge or research

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 11:06:36 am »

Name God: Bahumyv
Primary Sphere: Fire

Cult/Church/Religion: the Akoue
Amount of believers: who knows
Description: Temples are made out of stone, with the altars themselves made out of obsidian.
Symbol is a torch-arrow on the background of a mountain.
Traits: Bahumyv encourages its followers to be creative, no matter what idea or what resources are needed. Sacrifices made out of their enemies are mostly appreciated.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 11:28:34 am »

-For the race difference, a bonus to ambushes(Ie tactics) as opposed to a decrease of attack would cost nothing.
-The Labyrinthine architecture would cost 1 or 2 points.
Thanks, updated the description a bit, and assumed 2 points for the Architecture - speaking of which, would the Labyrinthine Architecture be a separate project for the settlement, or automatic? Right now I'm assuming that it's separate.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 11:31:02 am »

Name God: Nikalas
Primary Sphere: Fear

Cult/Church/Religion: The lost
Amount of believers: ???
Description: Temples are made to look like large cages with additonal rooms hanging from large chains. In the middle their is an alter to the god with a large statue of him behind it.
Symbol is a bat spreading its wings in flight
Traits: Nikalas tells his followers to be both fearful and fearless. Followers who are brave are made high priests of the church while the others are the masses. They preach a doctrine of raising above your fear and becoming a hero.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 11:33:01 am »

- Seems good.
- The specific system makes a small deposit difficult, but a hard to reach one can be done. (Effect is that strange metal equiped soldiers will cost more IC. So, basically boils down to the fact that you can only support a few regiments at first, but with the option to expand )
- It reduces the cost of mounted regiments to their footsoldier equivalent, as long as the pack lasts.
- How much would it cost then?
- Sure why not. Do I understand correctly that there are going to be different types of soldiers, beyond just foot/cavalry division? And how much would this hard-to-reach deposit cost?
- Hm... I don't like it. I think I'll scratch the whole horse-related trait idea and instead take +4 population for 1 point and put another 1 into expansionism trait.

Sorcerer Kail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 11:53:58 am »

Name: Harkynia
Description: Human nation rules by noble families, with tip of steam technology and philosophers of nature. It does focus on developing its technology but advance occurs at random rate. Architecture will change with time but nowadays most buildings are built of wood, and often covered in black and white paintings presenting scenes of daily life and glorious events.
Stats:
   Town
   3 Villages
Units: 8
        2 Light Cavalary
   2 Axeman
   4 Archers
Traits:
Non-aligned Magic Users: Rare, but very powerful. They keep their secrets to themselves but lust for riches and knowledge. Therefore anyone can hire some as mercenaries.

Exotic Knowledge: Steam Engines. While first of those engines were developed for entertainment and shows, their potential usage in production was quickly discovered. That technology is still rather undeveloped but greatly boosts industry(+10% IC/per pop?). Still, its not used in transport. It could be improved by spending extra funds on it.

Philosophers: Nations receives random boost in developing exotic knowledge(not necessarily steam). However unlucky roll might lead to lack of development for some time, as philosophers will start believing false ideas, and criticize right ones.

Will I need to include coal for Steam Tech?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 12:04:21 pm »

- Seems good.
- How much would it cost then?
- Sure why not. Do I understand correctly that there are going to be different types of soldiers, beyond just foot/cavalry division? And how much would this hard-to-reach deposit cost?
- Hm... I don't like it. I think I'll scratch the whole horse-related trait idea and instead take +4 population for 1 point and put another 1 into expansionism trait.
- Whatever you originally budgeted for it. I'll adjust the strength accordingly
-Yup, hard to reach deposit halves the cost, so 2-3.
-OK

Name: Harkynia
Description: Human nation rules by noble families, with tip of steam technology and philosophers of nature. It does focus on developing its technology but advance occurs at random rate. Architecture will change with time but nowadays most buildings are built of wood, and often covered in black and white paintings presenting scenes of daily life and glorious events.
Stats:
   Town
   3 Villages
Units: 8
        2 Light Cavalary
   2 Axeman
   4 Archers
Traits:
Non-aligned Magic Users: Rare, but very powerful. They keep their secrets to themselves but lust for riches and knowledge. Therefore anyone can hire some as mercenaries.

Exotic Knowledge: Steam Engines. While first of those engines were developed for entertainment and shows, their potential usage in production was quickly discovered. That technology is still rather undeveloped but greatly boosts industry(+10% IC/per pop?). Still, its not used in transport. It could be improved by spending extra funds on it.

Philosophers: Nations receives random boost in developing exotic knowledge(not necessarily steam). However unlucky roll might lead to lack of development for some time, as philosophers will start believing false ideas, and criticize right ones.

Will I need to include coal for Steam Tech?
Just as a note, Each military unit occupies one pop in maintenance. So having 8 military units to start with could be detrimental to your economy.

- Would be 1-5. Ie ranging from very rare to moderatly rare.
- 6 Points
- 2 Points
-Steam technology can be powered by wood,but not as efficient.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 01:01:24 pm »

Name: Dirami
Desription: Bunch of tribes of humanoid cats united by force of one cruel ruler. Living in dense jungles filled with many large herbivorous creatures and no competing predators they never had problems with food and still staying in hunting stage. Fishing in the many of small jungle rivers is another source of food  Unfortunately being hunters they are quite scattered over jungles.
Living in jungles shamans of Dirami learned to use local plants to their advantage. Combining that with parts of the prey and minerals they developed alchemy to the level that many experienced magical civilizations would envy. From simple stuff like healing potions and poisons to mixtures with mysterious and powerful properities

Traits:
Stone age (+4 points)
Different race (Humanoid cats, 3-4 feet high,  high agility\reflexes, fast reproduction. Carnivorous. -X points)
Exotic language: Alchemy (-X points)
Fortress 1 (0points)
Villages 4+5 ( -10 points)
Additional tiles 5 (-10 points)
Start with units: Spearmen * 2 (-2 points)
Start with hero: Graytailed. Current ruler, tyrant and talented military commander (-4 points) 

Will add\remove something when I'll know price of my race\knowledge choice
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 01:25:37 pm »

Mostly finished on stats/traits, pending the magic-user trait. The flavor can use improvement, still.

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Sorcerer Kail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 01:34:06 pm »

Small update, still could use some flavor upgrades.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 05:01:26 am »

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Please note that the Shroud hasn't been added, and that this is only a part of the map. The real map is a bit larger. However, I'd like everyone to start fairly close to each other.

Oh, and for now everyone can suggest modifications to be added to the map. It's a bit barebones at the moment.

Sorcerer Kail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 05:19:49 am »

Modification for points? If not I would add some tiny islands(1-3 Hex), also those mountains on right side are looking bit too straight imo.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6