Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 72

Author Topic: Build A Village: The Orebaron of Alucard  (Read 99730 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Build A Village: Lordsmiths and wordplay
« Reply #405 on: March 09, 2013, 02:59:25 pm »

The real point of this conversation is that we can have different names for wild animals and tamed animals, and name tame browts packbacks, but we don't want to.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 09, 2013, 03:00:42 pm »

...Then why were people discussing my points on domestication and genetic differences and such rather than explaining why no one wants to name packbacks packbacks?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #407 on: March 09, 2013, 03:01:36 pm »

...Then why were people discussing my points on domestication and genetic differences and such rather than explaining why no one wants to name packbacks packbacks?
I did explain why I am against it. It has nothing to do with the argument, I just think its a terrible pun.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 09, 2013, 03:06:44 pm »

I did explain why I am against it. It has nothing to do with the argument, I just think its a terrible pun.
+1
suggestions on how to tame the wild browts?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 09, 2013, 03:14:48 pm »

Step 1: Agree to call tame browts packbacks. Please.
Step 2: Catch a live and ideally unharmed browt.
Step 3: Leave it tied up in camp somewhere where there are people who pass by, but not where it can cause trouble. Make sure someone feeds it well.
Step 4: When the browt is used to the feeder (and future trainer), have him take the browt for exercise. More trust, and exercise is always important.
Step 5: Continue building trust.
Step 6: We should have a packback.
Step 7: Go to step 2 and repeat.
Step 8: See if packbacks breed in captivity.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 09, 2013, 03:21:50 pm »

Step 3: Leave it tied up in camp somewhere where there are people who pass by, but not where it can cause trouble. Make sure someone feeds it well.
Step 4: When the browt is used to the feeder (and future trainer), have him take the browt for exercise. More trust, and exercise is always important.

first point of order finding and capturing a browt

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #411 on: March 09, 2013, 03:25:13 pm »

I agree with all of this except for the name of the animal.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 09, 2013, 03:27:58 pm »

Agreeing to all of this. Including the name.
Because we named an animal Hat already. The pun is funny.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 09, 2013, 03:41:13 pm »

Strongly against the name. It's a horrible pun, serves no use but to create more confusion, and is a horrible pun.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 09, 2013, 04:10:51 pm »

hey, why hasn't anybody told me about this? ptw

also, tame animals do not get different names from wild ones, domesticated animals do, so either you accept to call backpack to the animal the traders brought because it's a different subspecies from the wild browts, in which case any browts we tame will still be tame browts and not backpacks, or you acept they're the same animal, in which case you would also call backpacks to the wild specimens. browts\bristlebacks already have 2 names, giving them a third will only make things more confusing, and the pun isn't that funny.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 09, 2013, 04:13:39 pm »

Agreeing to all of this. Including the name.
Because we named an animal Hat already. The pun is funny.
Thank you.

Strongly against the name. It's a horrible pun, serves no use but to create more confusion, and is a horrible pun.
Why would it cause more confusion?

also, tame animals do not get different names from wild ones, domesticated animals do, so either you accept to call backpack to the animal the traders brought because it's a different subspecies from the wild browts, in which case any browts we tame will still be tame browts and not backpacks; or you acept they're the same animal, in which case you would also call backpacks to the wild specimens. browts\bristlebacks already have 2 names, giving them a third will only make things more confusing, and the pun isn't that funny.
1. Packbacks.
2. Browts aren't bristlebacks. Bristlebacks aren't even very brown!
3. Where is the line between taming and domestication? If it's the first reproduction, that's hopefully coming eventually and we should plan for it; if it's sometime later, you'd have to pick something arbitrary and therefore I'm as justified picking a new name now as ever.
Sig

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 09, 2013, 04:32:07 pm »

3. Where is the line between taming and domestication? If it's the first reproduction, that's hopefully coming eventually and we should plan for it; if it's sometime later, you'd have to pick something arbitrary and therefore I'm as justified picking a new name now as ever.
yes they are,
and the line between taming and domestication? there isn't one. there isn't an exact cutoff, but a species can only be said to be domesticated, and only *deserves* a different name, after it has undergone enough genetic\epigenetic changes to be distinguished as a different breed... i'd say at least a few dozen generations under very intensive selective breeding

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #417 on: March 09, 2013, 04:35:18 pm »

Training a tiger to do a few tricks and carry something on command does not mean that tigers are domesticated and we can now officially call them furrywimples. Domesticating an animal involves a long period of selective breeding over generations resulting in a unique and distinctly different creature which served a purpose.

And for the love of god why don't we just ask them what they call it instead of arguing over an incredibly stupid pun?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 09, 2013, 04:37:33 pm »

The line between taming and domestication is rather vague, and a slow change. Often, it'll take 8-20 generations. Domesticating often comes together with changes in the look of the animal. However, as browt and tamed browts appear to be the same, I'd argue that they don't need to be domesticated, and can be tamed naturally.

Hence, no subspecies, and no different name.

yes they are,

I like self answering questions.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 09, 2013, 05:21:09 pm »

yes they are,
So they are. Must've been thinking of deerples.
Still, it's more like a reticulated chipmunk or something, except we don't call those reticulateds. Maybe an emperor penguin would be a better analogy? There we go! After all, it's perfectly acceptable to misunderstand if someone just calls that an emperor.

and the line between taming and domestication? there isn't one.
Precisely. Now, if they do in fact have differences between the wild and domestic populations--and there will be, in behavior if nothing else--then there's a basis to call them something different, just like there's a basis to call a pye-dog something different than a normal dog. And a pye-dog doesn't act much different than a domestic dog.
I'm almost certain I'm misspelling that.

yes they are,
I like self answering questions.
How is that self-answering? Browts and packbacks would actually be somewhat different, like dogs and pye-dogs, whereas the confusion from before is something more like an emperor penguin.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 72